What is your favorite Bass VST instruments?

Piing

Axe-Master
I have Trilian, and Scarbee Rickenbacker for Kontakt, though I still have not gone deep into their possibilities.

What are your favorites?

Anyone using IK Multimedia Modo Bass?

For many years I used the Funk Bass preset The free Kontakt player Factory Selection. It sounded a fake as hell cuz I think there was only one sample per note, although I loved the sound. After that I bought a bass because I figured it would be quicker to actually play the notes instead of programming them.

EZBass from Toontrack looks cool. I'm thoroughly invested in their ecosystem so I'm biased.

I have EZBass and have mixed feelings about it. If I’m making backing tracks, I‘ve found it to be a great solution as it’s fast and easy to use. For original songs, I’ve found that some notes are better represented than others. It‘s very possible that it’s user error but I’ve noticed that the samples could get lost in the mix (compared to using my real bass and amp).

One of the reasons I asked about Bass VST instruments is that I was starting to hate Trilian. I've spent hours, several days, trying to figure out why all the bass notes sound with glissando. Trying different instruments, tweaking buttons, reinstalling the whole package...

And yesterday, I've finally figured out that all notes above certain velocity are forcing a glissando. I've solved it by applying a percentage velocity reduction to all notes at the Bass MIDI track 😅

When I'm scratch padding a song I will use EZ Bass just to fill in and get an idea of how the tune might sound and capture some melody. Then replace it with a real bass. Tracked with the UAD SVT bass and played back with DBX 160 on the channel is heavenly.

And yesterday, I've finally figured out that all notes above certain velocity are forcing a glissando. I've solved it by applying a percentage velocity reduction to all notes at the Bass MIDI track 😅
You're making it way too complicated :).

In the preset browser, there are a number of variations for each electric bass. Some of these variants change the articulation depending on velocity. The browser shows you this when you select it. When you choose "Full Range", it shows the articulation will change from Fingered to Gliss Up as you strike the note harder:
FullRange.png

However, if you choose the "Sustain" variation, the browser shows you that you don't get the gliss at the higher velocities. It just goes from soft to loud:
Sustain.png

Or, you can use the Multi browser, which gives you keyswitched variants so you can switch to a particular articulation, like a harmonic, at the tap of a key while you're playing. Trust me, we designed Trilian to be very flexible :).

You're making it way too complicated :).

In the preset browser, there are a number of variations for each electric bass. Some of these variants change the articulation depending on velocity. The browser shows you this when you select it. When you choose "Full Range", it shows the articulation will change from Fingered to Gliss Up as you strike the note harder:
View attachment 83566

However, if you choose the "Sustain" variation, the browser shows you that you don't get the gliss at the higher velocities. It just goes from soft to loud:
View attachment 83567

Or, you can use the Multi browser, which gives you keyswitched variants so you can switch to a particular articulation, like a harmonic, at the tap of a key while you're playing. Trust me, we designed Trilian to be very flexible :).

Thank you for the explanation! These articulation options make it even more interesting. I am sure that it is going to be worth to go through the learning curve.

I just started selecting presets that contain the word "rock" at random, and I still haven't started to RTFM 😅

Thank you for the explanation! These articulation options make it even more interesting. I am sure that it is going to be worth to go through the learning curve.

I just started selecting presets that contain the word "rock" at random, and I still haven't started to RTFM 😅
There's nothing wrong with randomly browsing :). A good preset browser should encourage exploration and even make it fun. I think we accomplished that.

Back
Top Bottom