What is it with this obsessive deal with sounding JUST like . . .

watchdrama8jm.gif
deadhorse.gif

Dude, you crack me up! :lol

Whew!

Okay, this is good. Now we are getting to some good point on how to approach the guitar to become yourself. Yes, some people do need direction and some just have a brain that tells them to create. This is an excellent post Henry.
Well good! We're getting some positivity here! Thanks! You too. Thank you for hanging in there with me! :)

I try and copy a player or tone for the same reason I whistle or hum a good song...

^^This.

It's fun to analyze both the tones and the playing styles that you appreciate as having had an impact on you, musically or otherwise.
Plus, copping tone and playing styles is a learning experience that informs my understanding of the instrument. It is fascinating--at the very least academically--to discover and scrutinize the ways in which the undisputed masters of this instrument to which we all devote so much of our time have developed their means of expression

And, I don't understand why this has to be one-sided or an either-or situation.

Obviously, since I run SoloAWeek, I spend some time every week dialing in a tone that is close to that of the original song and copping as best I can the nuances of the player whose solo I am posting.

But the vast majority of my playing time is spent working on my own style, on my own material, and on my own tone. And in those hours,
I (and many others, I'm sure) couldn't care less about sounding like anyone else...
Unless, that is, I feel as if I am sounding too much like someone else :lol

Last edited:
I don't think it's so tiny... I (and many others, I'm sure) couldn't care less about sounding like anyone else...

Also, on an unrelated note, thank you, 3Dhuman, for being one of the few people on the entire internet it seems to use the phrase "couldn't care less" correctly ;) lol

Ok I take it back... I'll stay....

And a one and and two

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya.... :)

You know what? I would give my left leg to be able to play like either of you two. I try to play covers and I try to noodle out my own ridiculous creations and I suck at both. BUT I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT AND THAT IS TRULY ALL THAT MATTERS. We all like different styles, genres, instruments and gear and have different motivation for our choices. You both make a living doing what you love and enjoy it. That is all that matters. Nobody’s opinion can change that so there is no real purpose in getting personal.

Now make up and teach me how to play!!! :mrgreen

Please please do ....... anything to stop him feckin singing!!

Because I fully recognize that I suck at playing and simply don't have the talent to create any original music that is worth a damn. I am at a point in my life where I can finally afford some of the hobbies I have always been interested in. Some of my buddies are into cars, some are into motorcycles. I chose guitar. Gear like the Axe and a couple of good guitars gives me the opportunity to recreate the magic that I have listened to for the last 25 years or so. Those tones and licks are burned in my brain and being able to nail a couple bars of a VH song makes me giggle like a school girl. And isn't that what this is all about anyway....

^ Amen Brother. Let the "I dial in my own tone" people keep on fooling themselves. lol

If they really believe they have anything close to "their" own tone, then by all means let us hear it. Where are all the clips/vids of all this uniqueness?

Hey! Was that directed at me? Well I have a soundcloud page. I'm putting a solo on an old piece now.
And I said I'm not really into tone. Tone has been a recent thing for me. It's guitar I'm into. "Sounding like" isn't always about tone alone, you know?

willowdale - That sounded like a very passive aggressive, as in hostile barb thrown my way! Hey, fine. As I said I have a soundcloud page. I mainly do straight ahead jazz these days, but the Axe makes me want to do other things too! So here's something of me noodling today. It's kind of a funny groove. Sideways. You'll hear it and think the snare is where it traditionally is, on the 2 and 4. But it's not. ZI'm not finished with writing this, so I'll have to add a section to make it more obvious. So this is just me jamming with my Strat today, after your post. The other tracks were done some moths ago, even years ago for the basics. Just a throwaway for jamming. Hope you like it. Diarrhea of the fingers, of course!

What's Vogue? by Henry Robinett on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Like Hendrix and U2 did with "All Along the Watchtower"? I'd say that both go way beyond the "same but heavier" exception you gave Metallica?

How about the Cure's version of Purple Haze? There are plenty of (IMO) great covers that might be considered butchery if your standards applied.

Personally, I have no desire to 'cover' a song precisely. Probably couldn't if I wanted to anyway. Luckily for me, I prefer heavy molestation. Some examples? Cat Power's 'Satisfaction', Zappa's 'Whipping Floss', Allman's Stormy Monday - OK, not heavily molested, but with two indelibly original guitar solos (yeah Dickie!), Juliette Lewis's uber-hot version of PJ Harvey's Hardly Wait from the movie Strange Days, Johnny Cash's iconic 'Rusty Cage' AND 'Hurt'!!! I mean Johnny hit those two to another friggin dimension!!!

If I were in a cover band, I WOULD want to nail every tone. But since I mostly do originals, I mostly want my own tone, though every now and then one catches my ear (I even posted a request for help with an Incubus guitar tone, of all things), Since I mostly do originals, though, when I do a 'cover', I don't cover it all, I abuse it, amuse, try to make it new.

That could be a whole thread in itself. Best covers!'

By far #1 one has to be Aretha's Respect

willowdale this is just me jamming with my Strat today, after your post.Hope you like it. Diarrhea of the fingers, of course!

Sounds good dude! Cool vibe.

The real question though is........ Can you play "Smoke On The Water" note for note and nail that Blackmore tone? lol

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya.... :)

Dude, when God first wrote this song He sang it thru a Neumann U87. If you're going to post the lyrics to this song on here, at least try to faithfully reproduce His signal chain. Sheesh.

willowdale - That sounded like a very passive aggressive, as in hostile barb thrown my way! Hey, fine. As I said I have a soundcloud page. I mainly do straight ahead jazz these days, but the Axe makes me want to do other things too! So here's something of me noodling today. It's kind of a funny groove. Sideways. You'll hear it and think the snare is where it traditionally is, on the 2 and 4. But it's not. ZI'm not finished with writing this, so I'll have to add a section to make it more obvious. So this is just me jamming with my Strat today, after your post. The other tracks were done some moths ago, even years ago for the basics. Just a throwaway for jamming. Hope you like it. Diarrhea of the fingers, of course!

What's Vogue? by Henry Robinett on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hey Henry, I dig the groove on this. Good stuff man. I'm all about the groove and the vibe. You know, the stuff that can't really be taught. I'll play anything that I can groove to.

Back
Top Bottom