What is break-up, and why would I want it?

Sten

Inspired
I've for years heard people talk about it, but when I asked they couldn't really explain it. Google's best was a mention of it at Wiki.

The only time I have heard any reference to, "break-up", it was only in reference to "speaker break-up". Stereotypically not too desirable for modern heavy stuff, and has more desirability for other species on a case per case basis. I don't like it for some stuff and love a little for other styles. It definitely has its place.

Break up is normally referring to Valve break up, or Tube Break up depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on. When a Valve amp is driven hard the valves produce a natural distortion, there can be two types pre amp, or power amp break up.

So basically tube or valve amp distortion is break up

Tube sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Found an interesting, "speaker terminology w/definitions" page that may be informative for you to read.

Speaker Terms

Breakup

Context: It doesn't break up quite as smoothly as I like.

Description: Below a certain frequency, say 900hz, the cone vibrates as one piece, much in the same way a piston goes up and down in an engine. Above that 'piston band limit' frequency, the cone vibrates in sections. By the time a wave travels from the apex at the voice coil all the way out to the edge of the cone, a new wave has started at the voice coil. Think of a series of ocean waves. One comes in and crashes against a sea wall, the sea wall generates a new wave that starts back out into the ocean where it meets a wave coming in, they crash together, and for a moment it looks like a stationary wave going up and down, but not travelling. The same thing happens on the surface of the cone. The result is comb filtering and other anomalies that create the texture of the overall sound. Interestingly enough, this all takes place between around 1 and 4Khz, where our hearing is most sensitive. If you look at a speaker plot, you'll notice the response of the speaker is fairly smooth until it gets in this region. Although some mathematics can be applied to the design of breakup characteristics, most information found on the subject uses phrases such as 'years of experience', and 'empirical data.'

Okay. What does this sound like?

Breakup. Okay. What does this sound like?

We all know that when it comes to words describing tone, words can often be taken totally different then as to how it was intended. As "funeral" had stated, "motor drive". That is what I understand as well to simulate speaker breakup within the Axe. Mess around with that parameter and the MV to catch the just of tonal change.

Nothing really on the internet, (that I found) that specifically demonstrates audibly what it sounds like. I found one spot but you have to join the forum to hear the progressive sound bites of a V-30 heading towards breakup. Here's where I found how to listen to the clips. This is the forum you have to join to hear the clips.

We all know that when it comes to words describing tone, words can often be taken totally different then as to how it was intended. As "funeral" had stated, "motor drive". That is what I understand as well to simulate speaker breakup within the Axe. Mess around with that parameter and the MV to catch the just of tonal change.

Nothing really on the internet, (that I found) that specifically demonstrates audibly what it sounds like. I found one spot but you have to join the forum to hear the progressive sound bites of a V-30 heading towards breakup. Here's where I found how to listen to the clips. This is the forum you have to join to hear the clips.

Hmm. I went and registered to listen. Don't know as I know what I heard, except in so far as that the best sounding setting was 4. I have played with the motor drive a touch, but ended up going back to the stock setting. I guess what I'm looking for is someone to say something like, 'It sounds curdle-ly, and.....' .

Back
Top Bottom