What happens when we hit FW11 ? (Axe FX III)

I think Axe FX III should contain just one screen and one scroll and probably on/off switch on the front.. One screen would be touch screen so you can tap and then scroll the real knob, nothing real than tweaking over at the screen.. even AE makes it hard with a mouse. How easy can it get? :)

Cliff himself had already posted clarifying there I'd NO Axe III on the horizon but there is "something" else they are working on that isn't to be unveiled just yet.

The Axe-III needs to have 4x4 re-amping, convolution reverbs & better overall effects & drive/fuzz pedals, tone matching at least as good as Ozone(No,the Axe-II TM is not as good!), cabinet IR's taken to the next level(whatever that is, but there is obviously still room for improvement).

Also no need for 'tonal' firmware improvements because the tones should have all finally arrived!!! This will mean that patches/presets/tone matches will always sound the same as you made them. Firmware updates will only add additional amps,effects,features & bug fixes!!!

Until at least 99% of these things are possible, don't bother with an Axe-III......

Stronger faster DSP chips have come out since the IIs release. I'd cough up the dough for an Axe-III if it meant my presets wouldn't kill the CPU so much. Then I could run MORE effects and become ALL POWERFUL. Ahem...sorry.

Version numbers are somewhat arbitrary. They can have more to do with what kind of release cycle you are using and what you count as a major vs minor update than how much potential the device/software in question has. Example:

• Firefox 1.0: late 2004
  • Firefox 2.0: late 2006
  • Firefox 3.0: late 2008
  • Firefox 18.0: late 2012
  • Firefox 19.0: early 2013
  • Firefox 20.0: early 2013
Everyone can relax; the Axe-II was designed to have a lot of room for growth. It has been hinted that what they are working on now are lower-end version(s). I would put better than 20:1 odds on there not being an Axe-III in the next year.

What happens?

Simple...

A bunch of people sell their Axe FX II's for a loss, a bunch more people sell their Standards/Ultras for a loss and thousands of thousands of threads start where people who have never met each other in real life call each other names trying to prove that the Axe FX III "sounds better" than the Kemper II does.

Rinse and repeat.

It's the circle of life.

The real question should be:

Why would I buy the Axe-FX III when I am content with the Axe-FX II?

A whole lot of people used to be content with a Pod. With technology we never know what we're missing until we're told by others that we should be. ;)

I assume the next Axe will share features of the Kemper, that is, all the foundational editing and tone creation we've come to expect from the Axe FX line, but, with a more "Kemper-like" tone match mode.

On the flip side, I assume the next Kemper model will provide more effects, and more tone creation editing.

Take from your competitor in hopes of producing an all in one.

Regardless, good things are ahead for fans of digital modelling. No doubt about it.

A whole lot of people used to be content with a Pod. With technology we never know what we're missing until we're told by others that we should be. ;)

I never owned a Pod or any other type of amp modeller before the Axe FX-II. It was twice the cost of what I was orignally going to purchase (real amp, not modeller) but I figured that I could recoup the difference by selling my bass rig - which never happened because I am not happy with the 1 bass amp in the Axe-FX II.

It would be cool if they made amps. Something in the vein of like the Line 6 Vetta. Just way way better. A ton of good amp models and effects in a complete SS head.

I think from a tonal perspective, there's not much room for improvement anymore.
So I'm totally happy with my Axe-II and would never buy a possible Axe-III just for the sound. If there would be any improvement, then it's too tiny for me to care about.

I think there are only two things that can be improved in a future third generation Axe: the UI and the DSP power.
The first might have a lot of room for improvement. Colored display, support for external displays like tablets, etc. .... there's so much that could be done and it's actually a shame that such a hightech device like the Axe has a display like my 15 year old first generation Gameboy...
Then again, I personally wouldn't pay extra money just for a better display. But there should be a lot of people that do...

DSP power could be improved. I often run into the CPU limit, especially when doing complex virtual rigs with multiple scenes. Then again, constraint is good for creativity, so I don't care that much. The CPU is sufficient for most real world applications.

I never owned a Pod or any other type of amp modeller before the Axe FX-II. It was twice the cost of what I was orignally going to purchase (real amp, not modeller) but I figured that I could recoup the difference by selling my bass rig - which never happened because I am not happy with the 1 bass amp in the Axe-FX II.

though I've been advocating for a lot more bass "stuff" in the AxeFx for quite a while, I'll never say that it is not a capable preamp for bass guitar. just curious... have you tried tone matching your current rig or the sound you're after? What is your bass rig? I'm with you, though, that more bass amp models would be BIG for us bassists. I've got an SWR redhead and an SVT Classic all tube that are both likely going up for sale soon. haven't used either in years. The 8x10 cabinet, though, stays!

as for the OP, I'm all for an expansion of analogue style controllers (programmable soft knobs) to allow the AxeFx to be used like a traditional preamp.

A third DSP dedicated to CAB/TONE MATCH processing would allow for dual high-res cabs (possibly stereo) without maxing out the CPU % and free up the main DSP to allow for more effects. However I think the grid size would need to be increased to accommodate all of the extra effects you could add. It would be nice to be able to have a template with everything in it that you can copy to a new preset as a starting point and just tweak values while still having everything available if you needed it. I know I'm getting lazy but scenes have allowed me to control a lot more effects per preset (using only one button) and I have really been pushing what I can get into a preset. Anyway I think that would pretty much make the Axe-Fx III limitless.

Back
Top Bottom