What happens when we hit FW11 ? (Axe FX III)

When there are more powerful DSPs available.

FW11 is just a number. The Axe-Fx Std/Ultra ended at FW11 because the unit ran out of memory to store new things. If it had been specced with more memory, it might've made into FW12 or something. Axe-Fx II is not limited by the amount you can cram on the firmware so much so some reasons to make a new flagship would be

a) better user interface as the front panel is still rather awkward
b) more advanced modeling (for example dynamic convolution for cab sims) and thus need for more processing power
c) Axe-Fx 2 is no longer selling well so a new product would be needed
d) they want to turn it into a proper audio interface (which would require a major redesign)

I'm guessing we'll see a lower end Axe-Fx floorboard before we'll see a new flagship product.

I think when Cliff starts talking about running into a wall with the hardware, that is when we can expect something new. Until then enjoy the ride!

Didn't he hint that there are no real plans for the Axe Fx 3 in the near future and that most his energy is going to be on some new products that we don't know anything about?

I thought he said the future work might include real cabinet emulation, but that the technology for what his ideas are is no where near affordable right now. No point in rushing out an Axe-III if its gonna cost 10k.

lol.

With the Std/Ultra, there were a LOT more releases than 11. Version 5 for instance got up to 5.22 at least (I forget if it was higher). With the AFX2, its been limited to x.01 or x.02 for most if not all the versions.

Count up how many total releases, including main version variants were released for the 1st gen units - then compare with the 2 - and the 2 isnt close yet.

In time, the 1st gen lasted 5 years - the Axe2 hasnt got to its 2nd birthday yet (iir)

If it stops after Fw11 that IMHO that would be the dumbest damn thing, being this was built with 2-4 times the power, other specs are way beyond the older versions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom