What guitar cable do you use?

The shielding in CA-0446 cable is braided. Braiding is a symmetrical process and is mechanically "neutral."

But the fabric sleeve is laid, not braided. Laid rope has a direction to it, and it tends to twist when it's under mechanical load.

I do not like neutrik silent plugs at all. Have been doing my own cables since... forever, and the silent plugs are the only thing that doesn't last long enough, so I switched back to normal plugs. Here in Europe neutrik is easier to get, but quality wise I prefer G&L plugs, they're awesome.

Folks remember that for tone cable will only really matter when used between the guitar and amp input.
I doubt you will hear a difference in an effects loop or other low impedance circuits.

The cables I use are made from Mogami W2524 instrument cable and either Amphenol TM2PNJ or Neutrik NP2XX and Neutrik NP3X-B plugs. If I'm feeling lazy I will have the fine folks at Performance Audio solder them for me (which only costs $8 extra), but usually I just order the parts and do the work myself.

Having a quality cable does make a significant difference in the tone. Poor quality cables often have very high capacitance and will cause a loss of high end in your guitar signal.

I do not like neutrik silent plugs at all. Have been doing my own cables since... forever, and the silent plugs are the only thing that doesn't last long enough, so I switched back to normal plugs. Here in Europe neutrik is easier to get, but quality wise I prefer G&L plugs, they're awesome.
I’m curious… what failed on yours? I love the Neutrik Silent Plug, and have used them for many years without a single failure. I’m not doubting your issues, more wanting to know where I should be looking if I have a problem, or what sort of signs yours gave before failing. Thanks.

I’m curious… what failed on yours? I love the Neutrik Silent Plug, and have used them for many years without a single failure. I’m not doubting your issues, more wanting to know where I should be looking if I have a problem, or what sort of signs yours gave before failing. Thanks.
The spring mechanism... Some time moving on stage the sound was been cut off due to the little spring loaded plaque not making proper contact anymore I guess. It was quite annoying so I quickly moved back to regular plugs. I just used 3 if my memory recalls correctly, and happened on all three. I know it's too small to make a statistic sample, but as I said, all three sooner or later incurred in the same problem.

The spring mechanism... Some time moving on stage the sound was been cut off due to the little spring loaded plaque not making proper contact anymore I guess. It was quite annoying so I quickly moved back to regular plugs. I just used 3 if my memory recalls correctly, and happened on all three. I know it's too small to make a statistic sample, but as I said, all three sooner or later incurred in the same problem.
Thank for the info, I’ll keep it in mind.

+1000 on the neutrik silent jacks. They can be finicky over time, and get stuck or mishapen, the little aluminium round part that hits the ground can get mashed and stick. Just have to take care of them. I have them on all my wireless packs, as well as rehersal cables.

I have several of the heavy duty type cables with the braid over them. They'll probably last forever but they are a bit stiff.
For the last five years or so I have been using d'addario planet waves american stage cables. These are the one's I'll be sticking with.

Back
Top Bottom