What gear did Alex use on Hemispheres in 1978?

I’ve been revisiting hemispheres by rush an album that blowed my mind in the late 70’s
The guitars on this one are still mind blowing just curious to know if anyone here
knows anything about the guitar rig Alex used on this album and if it has changed over time.
I’ve been playing with the lerxst omega in the axe3 - which recently became brit silver - lots of fun :)
Was it on Hemispheres he used a 335 with a fender twin….? It’s mind boggling if the guitars on that album is with a fender twin….

This is from the Guitar Player (1980) and Guitar World (1996) magazine interviews:

Same guitars as A Farewell to Kings (GP80):
  • 355 (first album using 355) (GP80)
  • 335 (GP80)
  • B45 12-string (GP80)
  • Dove (GP80)
  • Gibson J-55 (GP80)
  • White Gibson double-neck (GP80)
  • 71 Ramirez classical (GP80)
  • 77 Epiphone C-60 classical (GP80)
  • black Stratocaster – stock (GP80)
  • Pyramid solid-body guitar [walnut and maple laminations, single-piece body and neck, ebony fingerboard, stainless steel frets, phase & coil splitting switches](GP80)
Gibson ES-345 (GP80) – gave to road crew member, replaced with black 1978 345
Roland GR-500 guitar synthesizer (GP80)
2 Hiwatt heads (GP80)
2 Hiwatt cabs (GP80)
Marshall cab (used often in studio) (GW96)
Leslie w/Hiwatt head (GP80)
Roland Boss Chorus (CE1?) (GP80)

From a 2002 interview (I don't know the source):
"THE TREES"
HEMISPHERES [1978]

"We tracked the intro in the courtyard of Rockfield Studios in Wales. I played an Epiphone C-60 nylon string that was miked with a couple of Neumann U87s. Neil had his wood blocks out there, and Geddy had a keyboard to play his flutey synth line. It took us a few takes to get it down without cars going by, but we liked the vibe of being outdoors. The electric parts were done inside the studio, and I played my 355 through the Hiwatt for the verses. I used a Roland JC-120 for the dreamy, clean middle section, because that's what I was using for chorus in those days."

Wow TFC you really know stuff. Interesting that he used a hiwatt
Wonder if there was any pedals involved as the hiwatt never breaks up.
I know Gilmore used a hiwatt and some pedal to make it break up…
Anyhow thanx a lot for all the info cool to know that the recording of hemispheres was made at the studio where queen recorded bohemian rhapsody :cool:
Guess I have to revisit the hiwatt in the axe now and see what it can do - and what I can do with it :)

Reactions: TFC
For amplification, Lifeson was known to use a mix of different amplifiers. The use of a Fender Twin Reverb is certainly plausible, as Fender Twins are known for their clean and bright tones. Lifeson has also used other amplifiers like the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp and Marshall amps.

Wow TFC you really know stuff. Interesting that he used a hiwatt
Wonder if there was any pedals involved as the hiwatt never breaks up.
I know Gilmore used a hiwatt and some pedal to make it break up…
Anyhow thanx a lot for all the info cool to know that the recording of hemispheres was made at the studio where queen recorded bohemian rhapsody :cool:
Guess I have to revisit the hiwatt in the axe now and see what it can do - and what I can do with it :)

The Hiwatt breaks up nicely. Great pedal amp model.

Back
Top Bottom