What effect is this

I watched the whole thing waiting for something to stand out as a special effect... I don't hear anything.

Sounds like typical chorus and delay to me.

It's the guitar that is more lead like and less rhythm like and it has the same FX throughout the song. Pretty much the main lead guitar lick at the start of the song.
I'm not saying it is anything super special I just don't know how to get it. I kind of assumed it was a chorus of some sort but I don't know how to get a chorus to sound like that.

Last edited:
It sounds very very U2'ish to me. And warm, not very much crunch.

Timmy drive -> AC30 top boost -> Alnico Blues -> 2290 dotted eighth note delay -> stereo out

Work with the high cut to get the right amount of warmth for your guitar and pickups.

It sounds very very U2'ish to me. And warm, not very much crunch.

Timmy drive -> AC30 top boost -> Alnico Blues -> 2290 dotted eighth note delay -> stereo out

Work with the high cut to get the right amount of warmth for your guitar and pickups.
You don't hear a chorus in there?

The "effect" sounds more like the specific type of guitar played in the higher frets. I think the tone of the guitar itself with an "ac30" light crunch is playing a big role. I just hear delay for effects. I hope the synth isn't getting mixed in.

In this style of music, many time there are up to 3 electric guitars and keys and piano.
Those all take up the same sonic space making it very hard to duplicate the sound with just one guitar.

In this style of music, many time there are up to 3 electric guitars and keys and piano.
Those all take up the same sonic space making it very hard to duplicate the sound with just one guitar.
This.

This style frequently has two or three electric guitars, one or two acoustics, a couple of keys...sometimes it can be tricky just to figure out what notes are being played, let alone who's playing them.

I think there's a fair amount of crunch on the guitar tone(s). If there weren't, they'd be buried in the mix.

Last edited:
I kind of assumed it was a chorus of some sort but I don't know how to get a chorus to sound like that.
In the first seconds of the video, I see two guitars knocking out chords and intervals pretty much in lockstep with each other. I hear a third rhythm guitar playing half as many notes per second. There's your chorus. :)

How would you set up the modulation to get that warbly sound?

How would you set up the chorus to get that warbly sound?

As mentioned there appears to be a 2290 delay with modulation. The modulation is already enabled in that delay type.

Go to the "Mod" tab and explore.

If I were doing this with a Chorus, I would probably start with Analog Stereo or Dimension at default and adjust Rate, Depth and Mix to your taste.

As mentioned there appears to be a 2290 delay with modulation. The modulation is already enabled in that delay type.

Go to the "Mod" tab and explore.

If I were doing this with a Chorus, I would probably start with Analog Stereo or Dimension at default and adjust Rate, Depth and Mix to your taste.
Is there anything special about the 2290 other than the phase reversal?

Is there anything special about the 2290 other than the phase reversal?
Other than that it has the modulation already on for the delay? I couldn't really say, but loads of big names like the 2290. The phase reverse makes the stereo effect bigger... But that isn't related to the modulation.

The Deluxe Mind Guy also has modulation enabled by default.

If you have a preferred delay type you can always engage the Mod settings.

I use modulation on my delay almost all the time. I've never got that sound out of a modulated delay before. I may need a faster rate or something.
I guess all just play around with it a bit. I was hoping somebody could give a bit more tips on a starting point because I don't have much time for tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom