What doesn't the Axe Fx do effect wise

The only pedal I’ve felt compelled to add to my live rig along with my Axe fx III is an Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar. As already pointed out by others, external effects play well with Fractal gear. This pedal sounds best when used with an electric 12 string guitar.

A Strymon Deco style doubler would be posh.
One of the only 'real' pedals I kept around.

A few others: WMD Geiger Counter, EHX POG 2, and a Percolator clone. I still have a Verellen Meatsmoke Pre and a Myco Three but only because I've been too lazy to dial them in on the axe.

Now that you mentioned it, I’m realizing how uncannily well Cliff modeled it…
This reminds me of "The Nothing Box" from this guy...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JPnJSmDs0
go to the 4:00 minute mark if you want to jump to the nothing box, but I recommend watching from the beginning!:p

I've had other pedals in front of my FM3 for various reasons. But, it's been 3 for a while now:

TC FreqOut - I've seen some versions of it with upward compression, synth, etc., but...none of them work as fluidly and take a lot more DSP than 0 from using the pedal.

Sonic Research ST-300 mini - I just like it, and I don't like the particular muting options when you turn on the built-in tuner. It's a small thing, but I already owned two of them when I bought the FM3. So, whatever.

TS808 - There's no reason...several of the TS or YATS pedals in the Fractal work. It just looks cool. That's really the only reason. I mean...it also saves a bit of DSP not having the fractal run any drives...so I can dedicate more of it to things I can't do with pedals that I already either own or think look cool.

The only pedal I’ve felt compelled to add to my live rig along with my Axe fx III is an Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar. As already pointed out by others, external effects play well with Fractal gear. This pedal sounds best when used with an electric 12 string guitar.
I have that pedal! I haven't played it with a 12 string though.

Not at all
The bbe is just an eq
yup, the eq, that sucks your tone in the first place when is off and then it tries to tell you how much better it sounds when you turn it on 😂

So....it's not an EQ the way you probably think of one. It's not using shelf/bell filters, and it doesn't give you the control most EQs do.

What they do is use low and high-pass filters to split the signal into frequency bands, give you a gain control on some of them (how many depend on the model, usually one), and run the input of the high band into the VCA that controls it, creating an upward expander (more treble at the input means even more treble at the output). There's also some filtering happening on the output, mostly normal band limiting and also preventing the exaggerated treble from getting too insane.

Regardless of what they claim about fixing phase problems, the filters they use also create "phase distortions" which manifest as dips in the frequency response at the crossover points (actually fairly deep and narrow ones), which also ring (like all sharp filters).

Mostly, it exaggerates high transients and gives you a little control over bass (and sometimes mids) and adds deep, narrow dips and filter ringing at the crossover points.

I remember watching a video a while ago about some guy programming synths in Ableton Live using a bunch of copies of EQ3 (none of the other EQs in Ableton do it) set flat in series specifically to get filter ringing at the crossover points because he thought it was a cool effect.

I'm not saying that Sonic Maximizers are totally snake oil. They are doing things to the signal. But....a lot of the things written about them is just vague BS. It's not a "sound better" device.

The multiband compressor in the Fractal might be able to do that sound....if it lets you set the high band as an upward expander and uses MP crossover filters, neither of which I know because I don't use it. A lot of multiband compressor/expander plugins won't do it because their designers were "smart" enough to use linear-phase filters for the crossovers....which prevents those narrow dips but also shifts the ringing to sound like it's sstarting before the sound that creates it (which is usually easy to ignore).

The things Fractal hasn't created yet:
Talk Box
Sustainer

Things hard to model:
Analog bucket brigade, tape degrade, and some analog pedals.

Still be far the best all in one unit.

Back
Top Bottom