What does PRS’s $499 guitar mean?

I played the PRS SE CE Standard the other day.

I was optimistic when I tested it out. But I noticed the fretboard edges were sharper than I liked, making the neck feel a bit uncomfortable. The fretboard itself and the body's satin finish felt a little rough to the touch (rougher than my Squier satin finish guitar). The pickups aren't quite up to snuff, but that's to be expected for the price... It did have nice weight to it, and everything was solid, as expected - I'm sure it's a quality instrument.... The SE CE Standard felt like a Schecter Diamond Deluxe that I used to own.

Edit. Am I being critical? Maybe. But with the name PRS comes the expectation of perfection. It's a fine instrument but it isn't perfect. There's a reason why it's $500.

Is the SE CE Standard worth $500? Absolutely. Especially for a beginner or someone wanting a PRS to gig with and don't care about the appearance of a non-maple top.
Is a USA Custom 24 worth an extra $3000-4000? Probably not.

What does PRS’s $499 guitar mean?
It gives PRS the incentive to raise their core model prices even higher through the roof, that's what!

I have a CE24 that I bought brand new in 2021 for $1999 out the door.
I have a McCarty that I bought brand new a year ago for $3450 out the door after getting a great discount from my local guitar store.
As we know, both of those models are now priced much higher.
PRS core models are now priced out of my range, and I've rarely been skimpy on guitar purchases.

This is exactly what they've done over the years. I bought my USA Cu24 10 years ago for almost the same price (new) as your CE24.
I mentioned this in a PRS Forum like 5 or 6 years ago and got pitchforked out of the place.

Last edited:
What do you think of the SE Silver Sky, if you've tried it?
I have not had an occasion to play a SE Silver Sky guitar personally as of yet. I have two Fender Stratocasters that I have owned for many years and like very much so I have not had a reason to check out the PRS SE Silver Sky guitars. If I was in the market for a Stratocaster style guitar today I would certainly check one out based on my experience with my other PRS SE guitars. From what I have read, and from the YouTube videos I have watched, the Silver Sky is voiced slightly differently than a traditional Fender Stratocaster so, as always, it would be wise to actually play both a Silver Sky and a Fender Stratocaster to see which one you prefer before making up your mind.

Casually looks up latest prices of Custom 24's.....

THE CORE CUSTOM 24'S ARE $4550?! WTF?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Cust24CCLB--prs-custom-24-electric-guitar-charcoal-burst
Take a look at the prices of a comparable high end Gibson Les Paul, they too are now going for substantially more than they did just a couple years ago.

https://www.samash.com/gibson-custo...-gloss-electric-guitar-bengal-burst-glpxc7beg

High-end guitars are now way to expensive for me to gig with; that is why I buy the SE versions of the Core models I own to gig with…I’m not risking a guitar that now costs between $4K to $6k to replace at live gigs which are inherently risky.

Take a look at the prices of a comparable high end Gibson Les Paul, they too are now going for substantially more than they did just a couple years ago.

https://www.samash.com/gibson-custo...-gloss-electric-guitar-bengal-burst-glpxc7beg

High-end guitars are now way to expensive for me to gig with; that is why I buy the SE versions of the Core models I own to gig with…I’m not risking a guitar that now costs between $4K to $6k to replace at live gigs which are inherently risky.

Les Paul Standard would be a better comparison to the Core PRS line in terms of being the 'quintessential' flagship model of their product line, they're priced at like $3000 vs. PRS' Custom 24 $4550. But I agree that PRS's Modern Eagle, Wood Library, etc models are comparable to this..... I remember when the Modern Eagle was the same price as the Core line is today (before all the S2, SE lines came out).

I am starting to feel the same as you do about gigging with a PRS.......

Does someone making a locking 'cord' that basically acts like a tether to prevent theft?

Les Paul Standard would be a better comparison to the Core PRS line in terms of being the 'quintessential' flagship model of their product line, they're priced at like $3000 vs. PRS' Custom 24 $4550. But I agree that PRS's Modern Eagle, Wood Library, etc models are comparable to this..... I remember when the Modern Eagle was the same price as the Core line is today (before all the S2, SE lines came out).

I am starting to feel the same as you do about gigging with a PRS.......

Does someone making a locking 'cord' that basically acts like a tether to prevent theft?
In my opinion the Les Paul Standard is not similar to the PRS since the PRS is constructed of highly figured, one piece blanks of high quality wood which the Les Paul Standard is not. The Les Paul custom most closely compares to the PRS Core models. I believe a comparison between the Gibson Murphy Labs models and the PRS Artist or Wood Library guitars might be correct also. In addition, the hardware and pickups on the PRS are not standard quality, but high quality units. Therefore, in my opinion, the correct Gibson to compare the PRS Core models against is the Gibson Custom model.

Last edited:
In my opinion the Les Paul Standard is not similar to the PRS since the PRS is constructed of highly figured, one piece blanks of high quality wood. In addition, the hardware and pickups on the PRS are not standard quality, but high quality units. Therefore, the correct Gibson to compare the PRS against is the Custom.

I was comparing the 2 companies' flagship models.

There certainly are differences - obviously Tremolo, Locking Tuners, and CU24's maple top is more figured than LP Standard - but it's bookmatched from 1 piece - I assume GIbson does the same? I agree that PRS's pickups are amazing, as is their quality control... Personally I also prefer Gibson's Nitro finish over PRS's V2 or whatever they call it these days - but that's just a preference of mine - not sure what cost difference that makes.

Either way, Yes Gibson is doing the same thing with their product line..... seems to be a trend to make the high end models an heirloom piece rather than a workhorse piece - even the LP Standard is starting to be priced out of being a 'workhorse' for many people feeling uncomfortable gigging a $3000 guitar.

The PRS SE guitars made in Indonesia over the past few years actually punch way above their price class. I own several PRS Core guitars made in the US and their SE counterparts. I use the SE models on live gigs where the possibility of damage due to travel or theft exists and the CORE models for session work. The difference between the CORE and SE models is not as great as the cost difference might lead one to think. If you get a chance to play both CORE and SE models of the DGT, Paul’s or Custom 24 guitars you might be surprised.

I’d like to try a SE DGT. The real ones are more than I want to spend on a guitar. I have a SE Soapbar 245 that I got for $400 and it’s excellent. I play it more than I play my core Singlecut Trem. Mostly because I’m hooked on P90’s, and the frets on my core are getting worn after 18 years. The 245 was made in Korea. I bought a MII SE and it had some glue squeeze out at the neck joint. It was just ok. I’ve played other SE’s in the local stores and they definitely are not worse than other brands in that price range. Better than most imo.

I’d like to try a SE DGT. The real ones are more than I want to spend on a guitar. I have a SE Soapbar 245 that I got for $400 and it’s excellent. I play it more than I play my core Singlecut Trem. Mostly because I’m hooked on P90’s, and the frets on my core are getting worn after 18 years. The 245 was made in Korea. I bought a MII SE and it had some glue squeeze out at the neck joint. It was just ok. I’ve played other SE’s in the local stores and they definitely are not worse than other brands in that price range. Better than most imo.
The PRS SE DGT is a truly amazing guitar. When you consider the cost is $850 right now, it’s a terrific bargain. I own the Core DGT and the SE DGT and there is certainly a difference but not $3,200 worth. If you are going to gig live with it, there really is no difference that anyone in the audience will ever know. The quality, tone and playability of the SE DGT rivals the American made guitars produced by the “big guys” in my opinion.

I have had four guitars destroyed or stolen out of vans, on stage or at airports over the 55 years I have been playing professionally, One was a PRS Core Studio guitar that was less than a year old in 2022. It’s amazing how brazen the thieves are today…they will walk on stage and steal guitars even when security staff are present! So, I no longer gig with expensive guitars…the PRS SE models are great guitars and it’s not a disaster if they get destroyed or stolen.

I have had four guitars destroyed or stolen out of vans, on stage or at airports over the 55 years I have been playing professionally, One was a PRS Core Studio guitar that was less than a year old in 2022. It’s amazing how brazen the thieves are today…they will walk on stage and steal guitars even when security staff are present! So, I no longer gig with expensive guitars…the PRS SE models are great guitars and it’s not a disaster if they get destroyed or stolen.

That sucks.... I'm nowhere near a professional, but gigging even a handful of times a year makes me wonder about taking out my PRS.

I played one of the $500 PRS SE's a couple weeks ago and it was incredible for the price. The fretwork was really good, very smooth edges with a slightly rolled fingerboard feel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that for a new player.

I have owned a bunch of PRS guitars although have never been able to afford a Core model even used. I currently have a CE-24 (see my avatar) and an S2 Standard 24, previously had some SE's. Most of the SE's I've played are really good quality for budget guitars. However I have played a few SE's that were dogs, including a couple SE Silver Sky models and the $1500 Hollowbody. There's probably a reason those guitars sit on the wall at the local shop for a while.

I'm a fan of the S2 guitars and would like to see those models extended, although the prices are getting crazy. After I picked up my first SE, I was looking at the S2 Custom 24's which were about $1400 new...now they are $2000. CE's were $2000 new, now $2600. I know everything is more expensive, but 40% increases is a big chunk of change. The value isn't quite there as much for me.

So I'd like to see the SE line continue to get expanded, and have more offerings under $1000 that have good quality. I'd like to see the high end SE's get things like locking tuners, better nuts, bigger frets, fuller neck shapes. I haven't tried the DGT SE but if it has the bigger neck carve and fret size like the Core model it's probably a winner.

I played one of the $500 PRS SE's a couple weeks ago and it was incredible for the price. The fretwork was really good, very smooth edges with a slightly rolled fingerboard feel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that for a new player.

I have owned a bunch of PRS guitars although have never been able to afford a Core model even used. I currently have a CE-24 (see my avatar) and an S2 Standard 24, previously had some SE's. Most of the SE's I've played are really good quality for budget guitars. However I have played a few SE's that were dogs, including a couple SE Silver Sky models and the $1500 Hollowbody. There's probably a reason those guitars sit on the wall at the local shop for a while.

I'm a fan of the S2 guitars and would like to see those models extended, although the prices are getting crazy. After I picked up my first SE, I was looking at the S2 Custom 24's which were about $1400 new...now they are $2000. CE's were $2000 new, now $2600. I know everything is more expensive, but 40% increases is a big chunk of change. The value isn't quite there as much for me.

So I'd like to see the SE line continue to get expanded, and have more offerings under $1000 that have good quality. I'd like to see the high end SE's get things like locking tuners, better nuts, bigger frets, fuller neck shapes. I haven't tried the DGT SE but if it has the bigger neck carve and fret size like the Core model it's probably a winner.

Maybe I tested a bad one. I'm willing to accept that possibility.

All this aside - in general guitar production quality has improved and we're getting FAR better instruments in the less than $500 price range than we did decades ago. Years ago, some guitars were unplayable or felt like toys right out of the box. So, any criticism needs to be taken with a grain of salt and consideration needs to be given to the application/expectation for a guitar in this price range.

I love my Collings City Limits, but that was over $4k used. I'd even be a bit shy about taking it to a jam with mostly friends, which is a shame, and it's a lot of cash to have tied up in one guitar for a not-gigging-any-more guy like me.

I should figure out if I'd be close to as happy with an SE DGT.

Or maybe an SE Swamp Ash Special, and move my strat on, and maybe the Vigier too.

I'll probably never own a core PRS. Just too much money, and frankly, they're just too ostentatious for me.

I'd even be a bit shy about taking it to a jam with mostly friends, which is a shame, and it's a lot of cash to have tied up in one guitar for a not-gigging-any-more guy like me.
A gigging guitarist has a substantial amount of money tied-up in the gear he/she uses to perform at live gigs. Even if he/she can get away with only two guitars, only one Axe Fx unit with FC12 and EV1, various assorted other gear (personal microphone, pedals, in ear monitors, wireless transmitters and receives, etc.) you are looking at upwards of $15K. If you are playing major gigs requiring a back-up Axe Fx unit, more guitars, and other backup gear you are looking at upwards of $20K to $25k. That is a lot of gear at risk. I used to have insurance on my gear years ago through the Union, but today, it’s hard to find, expensive and not very reliable as far as paying claims without a lot of arguments. Therefore, it makes sense to utilize less expensive, but still quality, guitars when possible.

There is no compromise in the choice of one’s amp modeler though in my opinion. The Fractal units are the only way to go. The Axe Fx unit is amazing…and its only competitors are Fractal’s FM 9 and FM 3 in my book!

Last edited:
A gigging guitarist has a substantial amount of money tied-up in the gear he/she uses to perform at live gigs. Even if he/she can get away with only two guitars, only one Axe Fx unit with FC12 and EV1, various assorted other gear (personal microphone, pedals, in ear monitors, wireless transmitters and receives, etc.) you are looking at upwards of $15K. If you are playing major gigs requiring a back-up Axe Fx unit, more guitars, and other backup gear you are looking at upwards of $20K to $25k. That is a lot of gear at risk. I used to have insurance on my gear years ago through the Union, but today, it’s hard to find, expensive and not very reliable as far as paying claims without a lot of arguments.
Bands I was in used to carry their own PA and lights, so yeah. We were shoestring outfits, so no insurance, if stuff got boosted you'd have to buy it (or something) again out of pocket. Which has happened...

Anyway, there are a bunch of reasons not to take relatively high dollar instruments out of the house, maybe even to own them at all, especially if more moderately priced ones are reasonably good.

What do you think of the SE Silver Sky, if you've tried it?
I know the question was intended for someone else, but I owned the SE Silver Sky at the same time as a Core Silver Sky and made some YouTube videos with the two. The short version is, the SE was fantastic in terms of sound and playability. Mine had a few aesthetic issues, but nothing that would hamper playing or enjoyment for me.

If I was gigging in a band that required a strat-style thing, that SE would’ve been the guitar I brought. It was stable, sounded good, and the comparatively more affordable price would make me less anxious about dings or other possible issues. I have since sold it, but only because I already owned the Core version and play pretty much exclusively at home these days.

Maybe I tested a bad one. I'm willing to accept that possibility.

All this aside - in general guitar production quality has improved and we're getting FAR better instruments in the less than $500 price range than we did decades ago. Years ago, some guitars were unplayable or felt like toys right out of the box. So, any criticism needs to be taken with a grain of salt and consideration needs to be given to the application/expectation for a guitar in this price range.

Another thought. I started playing in 1995, let's just say 30 years ago to round it. $500 today is worth about $250 from 30 years ago. The $250 guitars back then were basically what, Squiers, Yamaha Pacificas, Samick, entry level Ibanez? I remember really wanting a green sparkle Epiphone Les Paul but I couldn't afford it because it was I think $500 or so brand new. It's kind of crazy that a brand new Epiphone Les Paul today is only $100-200 more!

Another thought. I started playing in 1995, let's just say 30 years ago to round it. $500 today is worth about $250 from 30 years ago. The $250 guitars back then were basically what, Squiers, Yamaha Pacificas, Samick, entry level Ibanez? I remember really wanting a green sparkle Epiphone Les Paul but I couldn't afford it because it was I think $500 or so brand new. It's kind of crazy that a brand new Epiphone Les Paul today is only $100-200 more!

Yeah I agree - I had a similar thought about that. Manufacturers have figured out how to raise quality of the entry level guitars without raising costs too much over the years........ I don't like to think deeper about how though...

I own multiple SE's some Korean, some Indonesian. I also bought a Sterling Luke(one of the best necks that I own on any guitar, for me anyway.). I mod all my guitars, regardless of price range. So Hipshot locking tuners, new PuPs and pots, sometimes saddles and trem blocks. All my import guitars have been great core guitars to modify(is it a hobby, is it a disease?)

I think the big name brands are pricing themselves out of a market place and the vacuum that its creating is being filled with the low end market soon to be the mid priced market.

It's already happening with Epiphone they are starting to breach the $1499 mark with artist signature models. I'm quite positive other brands will be following suit.

Back
Top Bottom