What does PRS’s $499 guitar mean?

RationalRocker

TLDR

New brands are creating cheap but great entry-level/modding platform guitars are posing a direct challenge to incumbent brands and are creating a different market that other brands want a piece of. Guitar sales have been increasing steadily and exploded during the global LD. Though innovation in guitar design has stagnated over the past few decades, the current conditions create a more valuable but also more competitive market, which drives down prices. So this, the disintermediation of parts, and better knowledge distribution should increase innovation, which will be better for guitar players.

Cheap copies

When someone creates innovation, the generally accepted idea is that there should be a period of time where they are able to reap the benefits of their creation, after which the innovation can be incorporated into goods created by other players in the market, prices come down, then some other innovation creates more value. From a consumer point of view I think the way the market works from this perspective is probably okay w.r.t. guitars, though I am not a lawyer so things are probably more complex than I realise.

Advances in manufacturing techniques have allowed new market entrants to create high quality cheap alternatives that look similar to guitars that have been around for decades. This is perfectly fine as long as they don’t violate trademark etc. In fact they are essential for the market.

So brands like Harley Benton, Jet, and so on, are creating this alternative market, where they make highly playable cheap guitars that people also use as a platform for modding, upgrades, experimentation/hacking, and so on.

Stagnation of guitar innovation

After it’s creation, electric guitar innovation subsequently stagnated, particularly after the 80’s. Recently Fender did a 70th anniversary re-release of its strat including the 1954 model, its basically the same as a standard modern electric guitar, it wouldn’t be out of place in a typical modern musical performance. Think about how far a typical car has come since the 1950s, its insanely different, or even keyboards. The modern electric keyboard was created in the 1980s (yes, there were some curiosities beforehand), just think about the insanely massive innovations that has taken place for that instrument, the guitar is no where near close.

Here is one example of a kind of “backwardness” in the modern electric guitar. Integrated circuits were popular in the 1970/80, and we’re still soldering pickups, knobs and switches! The humble pin/jumper connector is a tiny minority of guitar circuits. We are constantly told that labour time is the most expensive component for making guitars, so why are pickups still being soldered? It’s literally faster (and no more expensive) to use modern connectors, and you’ll save on labour costs but its seen as a “premium” feature. That’s just a basic thing that can change overnight.

I think the stagnation is down to two things I can think of:

1. Guitarists are more conservative than any other group of modern instrumentalists I know when it comes to changes in their instrument. Guitarists turn their noses up at new tech all the time when it comes to the guitar itself, even a new small cutaway is often seen as “revolutionary” or “controversial”. It looks like in the 1980s there was a serious attempt at innovations on the guitar itself, but I think it subsequently petered out. Watching a video of the kind of things Steve Vai was playing around with in his guitar collection is pretty awesome. Design changes are sort of coming back slowly, some efforts to digitise the guitar have been a partial success like the odd success/failure of boss’s GK-5 and GM-800, the pickup is fine as is the digitization of the guitar signals, but the tracking and midification of the signal is a failure. Though there are certainly other efforts with varying success levels, none of them have as yet fundamentally captured the imagination.

2. The electric guitar has highly complex dynamics and more degrees of freedom and so is more difficult to capture accurately than something like the piano.

Disintermediate of guitar parts and distribution of knowledge

One of the guitars I own is a Harley Benton CST hardtail. I put Gotoh tuners on it, put in a Gotoh wraparound fully adjustable properly intonatable bridge, and Toneriders pickups. But that’s just “greasy kid stuff”. You can buy any part of a guitar. You can buy everything separately, down to the body, and the neck, and assemble it yourself from scratch. You can learn to do any guitar build related thing with articles and YouTube.

I think the market is ripe for innovation. There’s money to be made but for new companies it’s not good enough to put a familiar looking guitar together with nice off-the-shelf parts and charge $1000 - $2000 for it. Anyone can do that. There now has to be something different about your product. Those conditions breed innovation.

Connectors aren’t a big deal. Easy on a Strat but on a rout with holes you would need to feed the wire through and then make up the connectors. Solder is probably faster in that case. There’s only so much innovation that can be done that hasn’t already been done. The bigger deal is the quality of materials, hardware, electronics, and the fret work. It’s easy to CNC guitars accurately. Necks and bodies still require some hand work. So cheap guitars reduce cost on labor and parts. Some of them come out pretty damn good. I have 2 <$500 guitars that I love and will never sell. I also have 1 that just doesn’t sound good after trying 4 different sets of pickups. And another that just didn’t have the tone so I sold it. The way I see it, all guitar factory runs will produce similar guitars but some will be stinkers. The stinker percentage on quality guitars will be less than the econo guitars. Not sure what innovation you’re looking for. Shapes? Electronics? There’s already a lot of variety available. I don’t think it’s stagnant at all.

Parker Guitars were at the pinnacle of innovation. Perfect blend of traditional and modern materials, frets impervious to erosion, flawless electronics. It was 40 years ahead of the curve and is still being poo poo’ed by the traditionalists as too outlandish.
Meh. I’ll take a Parker production model from 1994 to 1999 over a Gibson Les Paul 1959 any day.

I don't really like 24 frets so what it means to me is I don't get to buy a PRS for under 500 ;-) Too bad, because they look really nice. Hope they make a 22 fret model. I'd trade my 25th anniversary SE24 for one of those in a heartbeat.

Haha I didn’t realize PRS actually put out a $499 guitar. Made in Indonesia. Kinda mugly with that finish. Probably some will suck and most are ok. I’m baffled that they can actually make money on this but they do. Indonesian labor must be super cheap. Good for young players starting out. I’ll pass on this one, satin and me don’t get along.

It gives PRS the incentive to raise their core model prices even higher through the roof, that's what!

I have a CE24 that I bought brand new in 2021 for $1999 out the door.
I have a McCarty that I bought brand new a year ago for $3450 out the door after getting a great discount from my local guitar store.
As we know, both of those models are now priced much higher.
PRS core models are now priced out of my range, and I've rarely been skimpy on guitar purchases.

Last edited:
Those connectors weaken over time, leading to signal degradation and bad connections, also making them susceptible to impacts and motion jogging them loose.

A properly soldered joint is much more durable and has a much longer lifespan before it needs any attention.
I like solder too. But, bifurcated connectors are pretty reliable.

The quality coming out of Indonesia is amazing these days. Yamaha is making their low and mid tier revstars in Indonesia. No experience with the entry level model model but the mid tier is astounding for the price. Stainless frets, flawless fretwork, fretboard binding, satin neck, contoured heel, etc, for $849? The instrument feels like if Suhr made an LP. It might even be plek'd, the only instruments I've been able to get the action this low are Plek'd (Suhr, Duesenberg, etc). Ernie ball’s sterling line is also Indonesian and at least the Valentine Chambered Bigsby is a home run.

Last edited:
Flat screen tvs, as an example, have gotten bigger, better and much cheaper than a decade or two ago. This is true of lots of products.

Perhaps guitars shouldn’t be any different…:

If I can drive over to Walmart, get a 75” 4K tv for $599, and it’s actually a great tv, then maybe I should be able to order online a $499 guitar and have it actually play nicely.

Maybe the days of having to cherry pick a dozen guitars just to avoid a warped neck, or may some builder an obscene price just to have a “decent” instrument, or search eBay for months trying to find some old MIJ model from 1979 just to have a quality build for a fair price are over…..

I’m all for it. Granted, collectors, those whose identity as a musician are tied to prestige brands et al, maybe won’t be fans, but if we can start seeing quality tools for less, and not just marquee brands putting their names on the headstock of crappy instruments, I think it’s great

The quality coming out of Indonesia is amazing these days. Yamaha is making their low and mid tier revstars in Indonesia. No experience with the entry level model model but the mid tier is astounding for the price. Stainless frets, flawless fretwork, fretboard binding, satin neck, contoured heel, etc, for $849? The instrument feels like if Suhr made an LP. Ernie ball’s sterling line is also Indonesian and at least the Valentine Chambered Bigsby is a home run.
Never played one, but the idea of single coil bridge and neck humbucker seems strange to me, backwards. Do you have one? I'd be interested to know how it actually works out.

Never played one, but the idea of single coil bridge and neck humbucker seems strange to me, backwards. Do you have one? I'd be interested to know how it actually works out.
Yes I have one and I agree it’s sort of backwards but that setup is common in telecasters for some reason. I changed the pickups since they’re both standard humbucker size.

I think the best part of the lower cost "well known" brand is that more people get a sense of accomplishment and happiness in purchasing a guitar. Thats all i care about. More people playing and less people gatekeeping a brand/guitar.

Ernie ball’s sterling line is also Indonesian and at least the Valentine Chambered Bigsby is a home run.

My Sterling Cutlass is excellent, after swapping the single coil neck and middle pickups for a pair of Wilde/Lawrence L45S I had pulled out of my Strat when the Fralins went in and swapping the saddles for Wilkinson WLS130 saddles. I paid $399 for it at a Labor Day sale at GC....

The PRS SE guitars made in Indonesia over the past few years actually punch way above their price class. I own several PRS Core guitars made in the US and their SE counterparts. I use the SE models on live gigs where the possibility of damage due to travel or theft exists and the CORE models for session work. The difference between the CORE and SE models is not as great as the cost difference might lead one to think. If you get a chance to play both CORE and SE models of the DGT, Paul’s or Custom 24 guitars you might be surprised.

Last edited:
The PRS SE guitars made in Indonesia over the past few years actually punch way above their price class. I own several PRS Core guitars made in the US and their SE counterparts. I use the SE models on live gigs where the possibility of damage due to travel or theft exists and the CORE models for session work. The difference between the CORE and SE models is not as different as the cost difference might lead one to think. If you get a chance to play both CORE and SE models of the DGT, Paul’s or Custom 24 guitars you might be surprised.
What do you think of the SE Silver Sky, if you've tried it?

Back
Top Bottom