• Full range speakers

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • where we're going we don't need any sound

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Nothing wrong with D5's :)

I CLEARLY hear differences in FW thru them....

Haha don't get me wrong, I love them. Probably one of the best purchases I've done. I upgraded from rockits and it was night and day. How do you set your sensitivity btw?

I'd love to be able to try a live rig

I don't really understand the question, or more exactly, the association between firmware updates and how you monitor

Why wouldn't I use the same devices I listened to FW 17.04 with FW18 ?

New firmware equates to needing to monitor differently ?

I don't really understand the question, or more exactly, the association between firmware updates and how you monitor

Why wouldn't I use the same devices I listened to FW 17.04 with FW18 ?

New firmware equates to needing to monitor differently ?

I think he's just asking what people use, probably to try and get a handle on where their opinions are coming from since playback system is such a huge ingredient to the overall sound from the AFX.

I think he's just asking what people use, probably to try and get a handle on where their opinions are coming from since playback system is such a huge ingredient to the overall sound from the AFX.

Exactly, so why not stick with what you know, that is, what you've used with FW15, 16, 17 etc ?

If I normally used, lets say a Matrix 2x12 FRFR when I play my Axe, and that is what I was using with fw 17.04, it seems like it would make no sense to install FW18 and grab a set of headphones, just as it wouldn't make sense to throw some new pups into the guitar first etc.

When I try out a new FW I use the same monitoring, use the same guitars, with the same pickups, etc. I want to keep everything the same so any tonal changes can be attributed to the new FW, not a different monitor etc. Shouldn't matter what you use, as long its what you normally use.

Exactly, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm just curious to see what the other members use. There's a great amount of great knowledgeable players here. I enjoy reading about their set ups, tricks, and sound perception

Exactly, so why not stick with what you know, that is, what you've used with FW15, 16, 17 etc ?

If I normally used, lets say a Matrix 2x12 FRFR when I play my Axe, and that is what I was using with fw 17.04, it seems like it would make no sense to install FW18 and grab a set of headphones, just as it wouldn't make sense to throw some new pups into the guitar first etc.

When I try out a new FW I use the same monitoring, use the same guitars, with the same pickups, etc. I want to keep everything the same so any tonal changes can be attributed to the new FW, not a different monitor etc. Shouldn't matter what you use, as long its what you normally use.

Oh I see what you're saying.

But what I meant by what I posted above is that, say someone says they don't like such and such model anymore, or they really like the smoother high end, whatever, OP would like to know if that person doesn't like the [whatever] because he's listening through a pair of tin cans connected to his AxeFx by twine, or if he should take the advice of the guy with the mega awesomeness rig who has a different view.

I think you might be reading too much into it. It was just a question. I've only used my rockits and equator d5's. If I would wanted to keep everything the same I feel like my tone could have hit a plateau. I got the D5's after the reviews here and it has been one of the best updates I've done. How important looking into one day having a live rig. My question or curiosity was to see what others experience and enjoy.

Rotti, +1, good explanation of what I'm really trying to say. Once again, just curious hahaha

I think you might be reading too much into it. It was just a question. I've only used my rockits and equator d5's. If I would wanted to keep everything the same I feel like my tone could have hit a plateau. I got the D5's after the reviews here and it has been one of the best updates I've done. How important looking into one day having a live rig. My question or curiosity was to see what others experience and enjoy.

Your question is a fine one, with regards to simply wondering what people are using to listen to their Axe, regardless of FW version. Certainly a wide range of possibility out there. The specific mention of FW18 in your title was what was throwing me, as it seemed to imply that the new FW should have different monitoring needs, which certainly would make it hard to figure out what changes were due to what.

Bottom line I was always taught with regards to monitoring by lots of engineers that I learned from, is that it doesn't really matter what you listen via, as long as you know how its going to translate to other systems. If you have a system with little bass response, but you know its lacking in that regard, and don't try to add too much low to compensate for it (because it would be too much on other systems) you can still do good work.

Its easiest of course to have something really flat and neutral, but that can come with its own issues because then you need to sometimes account for issues in your end users playback system. Buddy of mine does mixes and sound design for PC games, which usually means either hyped bass headphones, or hyped bass PC speaker systems. He always has what I consider thin sounding stuff when I hear it on my HR824's, but when a 15 year old kid is playing it via his Logictech surround system with "super turbo sub bass boost port tuning" (IE; far from flat response) it doesn't sound like muddy crap.

Long story short, most important to know your monitor system, regardless of what it is, and how its going to translate to your end usage.

I've seen lots of guys dial in these amazing stereo patches at home for example, but then guess what ? They are going FOH to a venue that is mono.

Atomic CLR's for me....loud-ish...at gig levels. I find that some of the improvements in firmware really reveal themselves when things are cranked up, especially the feel.

I've been thinking of getting a zilla fat boy preamp set up in the future. I need to find someone close to me with these setups to experience the benefits of these options.

everytime I see those I just have to smile.

Would love to play thru that.

Then you ought to go buy them. They pop up on ebay and craigslist if you're patient.

The vintage receiver can be found for about $150, and the speakers for possibly even less. I got mine FREE on a craigslist ad from a rich guy dumping them in his back ally way.

Back
Top Bottom