What do you think the new future of FC controllers will do and look like?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
What do you think the new future of FC controllers will do and look like?

Last edited:
I think the form factor is already pretty fantastic, so unless a new floor-based rig is designed, I don't think any big changes are required there, though I wouldn't be surprised if next gen controllers are based more on LCD screens.

I think the real area for potential growth is in the programming though (and that is something that can be applied to old and new FC models)!

Some things I would like to see:
  • Multiple commands per switch (ex: set on/off functionality for multiple FX at once)
  • Control specific variables of an effect (ex: switch between multiple subdivisions on a delay)
  • Step-based controls, allowing one to switch between multiple settings (ex: delay set by default to 1/4 subdivision. Press once and it becomes dotted eighth. Press again, it moves to a straight eighth note subdivision. One more press goes back to 1/4 subdivision.)

Really I'd just like to see some of the functionality that RJM controllers have, as their stuff is just ridiculously powerful.

I don't imagine there will be new FC hardware... Unless a cute little FC-3 :)

Multiple commands per switch (ex: set on/off functionality for multiple FX at once)
This would be excellent and I believe has been wished for. It's definitely been discussed.

Control specific variables of an effect (ex: switch between multiple subdivisions on a delay)
First, the firmware would need to allow those controls to support modifier assignment regardless if by FC or not.

My wishes:

- Increased contrast and resolution for the displays. That would allow you to display more easily-readable information, longer names, etc.

- Simultaneous display of both tap and hold functions, along with their state.

- Colored text and backgrounds to help differentiate.

My wishes:

- Increased contrast and resolution for the displays. That would allow you to display more easily-readable information, longer names, etc.

- Simultaneous display of both tap and hold functions, along with their state.

If there is a new generation, I definitely endorse all of those!

The issue there is cost. Ron at RJM has talked at length about how expensive they are on their forums. I'm pretty sure they are the biggest factor in the massive price difference between RJM and Fractal MIDI controllers.

The issue there is cost. Ron at RJM has talked at length about how expensive they are on their forums. I'm pretty sure they are the biggest factor in the massive price difference between RJM and Fractal MIDI controllers.
Research some of the home grown midi controller threads here... Those small color LCDs are not very expensive.

Maybe he's using some that are special, but I was really surprised how inexpensive they were.

Edit:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...arty-devices-axe3-fm3-fm9.192151/post-2472426

Last edited:
I have owned or used a number of controllers that were part of, or an external add-on for, various modelers I have owned including my FC-12 Mk II. In my opinion my FC-12 Mk II is the best designed and manufactured unit I have owned or used. in my book, the FC-12 Mk II is great just the way it is and there is no need for a new unit to replace it.

I have owned or used a number of controllers that were part of, or an external add-on for, various modelers I have owned including my FC-12 Mk II. In my opinion my FC-12 Mk II is the best designed and manufactured unit I have owned or used. in my book, the FC-12 Mk II is great just the way it is and there is no need for a new unit to replace it.
As far as "integrated" controllers, I would agree.

However, there are some better options in terms of controllers that can be used for things other than (or in addition to) Fractal.

Reactions: Rex
As far as "integrated" controllers, I would agree.

However, there are some better options in terms of controllers that can be used for things other than (or in addition to) Fractal.
In my experience, third-party controllers require set-up and/or programming to get it to function with each device it’s paired-with. The FC-12 functions perfectly with the Fractal modelers with no programming required. However, if one wants a controller that can be used with multiple brands and models of modelers than I would agree that a third-party controller may be the right choice. However, if one wants a controller that will easily work out of the box with their Fractal modeler, the FC-12 is a great choice.

That's not really an FC thing, but a firmware thing... Although an FC thing would need to exist to control the firmware thing ;)
It's FC functionality 100%, wherever the bits are that implement it, and the OG request was about what "FC controllers will do and look like".

Back
Top Bottom