What do you think about the news of VH "taking a break"?

fatandugly

Experienced
The Van Halen fan in me desperately wants to believe it's genuine. The rational mind in me says get a grip, it's over...at least for a while. They are staying on the road till June 26th so that's a good sign right? Am I in denial? Are there any Cherone sightings in LA?

They're not 20 years old and that couch back home is probably calling pretty loudly. I can't imagine a scenario where being on the road for a lot of dates could be anything but tiring and I bet that the life is nothing like it was back in the day. Either they aren't partying as hard as they used to and it's not as much fun or they are trying to party as hard as they used and its taking its toll on them.

Regardless if its to the point that the performances suffer they need to take a break and get their stuff together. I mean at this point they all have to know that this is the only lineup that they're going to be able to go out on the road with at this point so if there are personality issues then they'll have to make the tough decisions to either deal with it or hang it up at this point. But a Cherone or even a Hagar isn't going to work.

Well, Hagar would never do it according to his book. Cherone I think is happy with the re-united Extreme. Eddie is pretty much stuck with Dave if he wants to play live anymore :D

Eddie has always been a jerk and liar, Alex an enabler. I can't imagine it's any better with Wolfie having replaced the only objective member. I can easily see a 3:1 scenario, especially since Dave is hardly a diplomat.

It's time for them to retire before their last shreds of dignity erode.

Get a grip. The new album is great. Ed is playing as well or better than ever on tour. What's the problem?

So what if they are just tired and need a break, or if they are fighting and need a break. Or both. The tour has been a major success and everyone has left raving about it. They will continue without a doubt!

I couldn't give a rats ass if they are getting along or not(but it wouldn't suck) as long as the shows are kick ass!

It's Rock & Roll you pansies, and Edward is sober & playing his ass off!!

Get a grip. The new album is great. Ed is playing as well or better than ever on tour. What's the problem?

So what if they are just tired and need a break, or if they are fighting and need a break. Or both. The tour has been a major success and everyone has left raving about it. They will continue without a doubt!

I couldn't give a rats ass if they are getting along or not(but it wouldn't suck) as long as the shows are kick ass!

I strongly doubt they are "fighting", I suspect they're just tired. Touring is exhausting when you're 25, let alone (ahem) "well into middle-age".

I spent seven straight years on the road in my twenties. Now I need a nap after a drive across town.

It appears to me that the only people with positive things to say about the new album are established fans who have waited 18 years for a full length DLR era VH album.

Funny how all the fanbois were apologetic over Tattoo, suggesting we purchase the album even when they realized how weak the song was after such a long wait.

A great album brings in new fans and new hits, the latest offering does little of either; but when you live inside the bubble, maybe you experience a different kind of truth.

2012's Chinese Democracy.

For me VH ended with 1984 the Hagar era was good and it seemed like the guys were having fun but it wasn't the same, Cherone was just a bad mistake. If taking some time off to let your tour cool off is a good thing then so be it but last I read that's not the way to promote new materiel or get a aging fan base excited. Ed's playing has definitely improved from his slump that he was in and that is a big plus.

I hope it is just a break and not a dead end. The Cherone reference was a joke and I can't ever imagine Sam back in the band either after that book. I never thought DLR would be back, so who ever knows? I would say 90% of the people I know that have heard it, like the album. I thought it was excellent and Ed is playing as good as ever. Probably one of the strongest "comeback" albums in a while. Judging from a string of packed shows, I think others seem to agree and are glad to have the band back. It just seems unusual for a band trying to reestablish themselves to bail out on a successful tour.

I think I would have scheduled dates further apart. Take a year and build in 'break' time to cover all the major cities.

I personally was not impressed with the new material; didn't feel that strong to me. I like seeing them out on the road and at least beginning to make music again, but with the ouster of M. Anthony, they sort of lost me.

I suspect with Eddie and Alex's long history of wild behavior, this may be a way (I hope optimistically), that they perceive a slide, and want to avoid that...

R

I personally dont care since I will see them before they take a break. :razz

Does anyone care I get to take 5 weeks of this summer? :razz

Listen to the new album if you haven't; they are as good as ever; it aint 1978, but Eddie will always have it. awesome playing

Back
Top Bottom