What did YOU part with, after the Axe fx came home....

Long gone:
1962 Bassman w/ 1968 2X12 cab
Emery Sounds Microbaby with cab and set of tubes
TC G-Major and Minor
Keeley comp
Barber Tube Screamer
TC Nova Delay
Various other pedals and rack gear

Here to stay:
Axe-fx

Funny, I can't remember my old girlfriends' names. ;)

Got rid of:

Mesa Roadking head
Pod xt live
Peavey XXX head
Peavey XXX 60 watt 1x12 combo
Peavey XXX 40 watt 1x12 combo
TC Electronics G-System
EVH Phaser - Mistake. Wish I still had it.

Still got:

Genz-Benz Black Pearl BP30-112 Combo - Love it for what it is. Its also my last tube amp. Will only sell it if times get tough.
Tube screamer reissue - Use it with the Black Pearl for needed boost.
Genz-Benz G-flex cab
Genz-Benz Split 4x12 cab (two vertical slanted 2x12 cabs) with eminence 12" drivers
Crate Powerblock - For what it is and does...too cool to give up. Will one day use it to put Ultra through the Genz cabs.
Too much stuff to list, but still, never enough.

Really dont miss the Peaveys or Mesa at all. Ive had other Mesas too, but if Id still had them when I bought the Ultra, they be gone now as well.
G-System was great with the tube amps and switching between them & channels, etc, but Im liking my tone better now.

Bradshaw Rigg:
Egnater ie4
VHT 2502
Yamaha SPX90
TC 1210
TC D Two
TC G Force
CAE Dual Line Mixer
Bradshaw RSB 12R 18F
SAMSON PB11
MESA Black Shadow CAB
Some Pedals too...

I have a similar set up, although not as nice of TC stuff like this, but I've got the mixer and the switcher... I'm still waiting to purchase the AXE but thinking about how much of this stuff I probably won't need anymore... I'm having a hard time imagining selling it.... Must have been hard, no?

Bradshaw Rigg:
Egnater ie4
VHT 2502
Yamaha SPX90
TC 1210
TC D Two
TC G Force
CAE Dual Line Mixer
Bradshaw RSB 12R 18F
SAMSON PB11
MESA Black Shadow CAB
Some Pedals too...

1. Friends
2. The outdoors
3. Anything resembling normalcy
4. No girlfriend/wife. Chances of getting one now?... slim to none.
5. Sanity (debatable)
6. Fear of death (if I dropped dead right now while playing through this New Recto Orange amp/TS808/Recto V30 and SLM M75/U87 and 421... I'd be totally fine with it).
7. If #6 occurs... I am also totally fine with my cat eating my corpse in order to survive.
8. No comment.

Amps ::
Bogner Ubershall, Splawn Nitro, Mesa Roadster.

Effects ::
GSP1101 and G-System.

Haven't looked back.

I sold a ton of stuff (maybe literally) to make the move to L.A. so I didn't sell anything in order to buy the Axe II.

But once I got settled here I was ready to get a new rig but I was undecided between the Axe and a new Mesa MKV combo. The Axe won and now I give up most of my free time!

The only other things I can think of that I'm giving up are carrying heavy, bulky amps, needing extra storage space for those amps, and worrying about my bad back when trying to lift them up. Oh, and I gave being limited to a few amp channels, buying more rack FX units, patch bay, rack cases, cables.

Oh, yeah, I gave up on needing a van to transport my gear too.

And if I ever find that POD 2.0 that I bought some years ago I'll give that up, although I guess I already did... hmmm... where is that thing?

Mk_Rig_2008.jpg

I have three times as much tube stuff now as I did when I bought my Standard. Bought used at a good price, tube gear is great investment.

First and foremost I parted with COMPROMISING. Gear-wise I sold or got rid off the following:

Elmwood 3100
Elmwood Modena
Elmwood 2X12

Eventide Eclipse

Randall Isolation cab
Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator

Acoustic Image Clarus 2
2 X Raezer's Edge Stealth 12

A medium sized pedalboard and shitload of cables and stuff

I actually got so much for these that I bought another guitar and a mountainbike... It's all good!

Last edited:
I didn't sell anything, but I put the following in the closet:

Marshall JMP-1
tc electronic G-force

I kept the Stewart World 1.2 power amp and the Marshall 1960a stereo cabinet as part of the AXE-FX II rig.

So far, I don't miss anything.

However, I have noticed that the pitch shift doesn't sound quiet as 'sweet' to my ears as the one that as in the Gforce.

I'm curious if anyone else has had that experience.

L

TC Fireworx
Korg A2
Korg A3
Rocktron Chameleon
Vox Tonelab
Vox Valvetronix 120 Head and matching 4x12 (my main gig rig)
POD XT Live
Alesis Bitrman
RAD analog delay
MXR Carbon Copy

I did however aquire, build and mod quite a few pedals, but only to clone them with the Axe (and because building pedals is fun).
I keep them for inspiration, although the Axe can do pretty much everything they do, it's easier for me (it fits my workflow well) to choose or construct an Axe patch, add a dirt pedal depending on what the track needs and when I find the right combination of fuzz box + Axe I'll record it, but later when there is time, I'll measure the pedal in the same setting I liked and clone it. Sometimes I re-record.

I also had to say good-bye to the fact that I was limited by my gear (no parallel processing, non-modular, cool on paper but cheesy sounding).

I didn't sell anything, but I put the following in the closet:

Marshall JMP-1
tc electronic G-force

I kept the Stewart World 1.2 power amp and the Marshall 1960a stereo cabinet as part of the AXE-FX II rig.

So far, I don't miss anything.

However, I have noticed that the pitch shift doesn't sound quiet as 'sweet' to my ears as the one that as in the Gforce.

I'm curious if anyone else has had that experience.

L

I know what you mean, and I think this has a lot to do with the fact the AxeFx pitch shift is so technically superior, which is great if you are looking for that type of accuracy. The good news is that you can always use filtering and other processing to tailor the pitch shift to taste. IMO the AFX pitch shifting is more flexible overall, but the Gforce does have a certain trademark quality that I also enjoy(ed) very much.

Back
Top Bottom