What changed with the noise gate? Is there more noise now?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Maybe I'm just using the noise gate wrong since the last firmware when it changed a bit, but since the change I notice that I'm getting a lot more noise than before.

In the older firmwares before the noise gate offset was available in the global settings, I would use the main noise gate in the presets you can reach by moving two pages over. Just about all of my presets I would not even use the noise gate. Even high gain presets there was so little noise that I never needed the noise gate. If I did need it I would set ratio to 4.0 and threshold to about -98.0. So very very minimal. Just enough to mute my strings when I wasn't playing.

But now I notice when I have the noise gate off that my higher gain presets have a ton of hiss and noise. This was never the case in the past.

Basically my question is, how should I set the global noise gate offset parameter so that the noise gate will function as it used to?

Before the firmware change was there always a little bit of noise gate on globally? Is that why the overall noise seems higher now? Or am I just hearing things?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm just using the noise gate wrong since the last firmware when it changed a bit, but since the change I notice that I'm getting a lot more noise than before.

In the older firmwares before the noise gate offset was available in the global settings, I would use the main noise gate in the presets you can reach by moving two pages over. Just about all of my presets I would not even use the noise gate. Even high gain presets there was so little noise that I never needed the noise gate. If I did need it I would set ratio to 4.0 and threshold to about -98.0. So very very minimal. Just enough to mute my strings when I wasn't playing.

But now I notice when I have the noise gate off that my higher gain presets have a ton of hiss and noise. This was never the case in the past.

Basically my question is, how should I set the global noise gate offset parameter so that the noise gate will function as it used to?

Before the firmware change was there always a little bit of noise gate on globally? Is that why the overall noise seems higher now? Or am I just hearing things?

set the offset to 0.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what is the reason for having the ability to bring the offset below "0"?

So you can adjust your noise gate settings globally for environments that are more or less noisy than the environment the patch was created in.

Rocktron Chameleon and related gear had global Hush. I'm surprised no one else has included this in their stuff until now.

Rocktron Chameleon and related gear had global Hush. I'm surprised no one else has included this in their stuff until now.

Well it is best to set it by preset, hi gain, the noise is going to be more apparent than clean, and can require different setting. same is true of different guitars. So you can set the preset gate for the amount of gate the particular patch requires. However, if you all of sudden have a gig where the noise is way higher, you can't adjust every preset w/o wasting valuable time. You would adjust the offset for the room and then set it back to 0 after you are done.

Back
Top Bottom