What Carvin Power Amp Should I Get?

Virgil.

Greetings and attention any Carvin power-amp users,

What Carvin power amp would you recommend for live-gigging a 4x12 with an Axe FX II XL+? So far I'm considering the following:

• DCM200L Ultra Light 200W Power Amp
  • HD1500 Ultra Light 2000W Power Amp
  • DCM1000L Ultra Light Linear 1000W Power Amp
  • HD3000 Ultra Light 2850W Power Amp

My budget is less-than $400 total. But all of the descriptions for the 4 amps listed above seem to be very similar and my eyes are going cross-eyed trying to figure out the difference and which one I might need/want.

Right now I'm using a 150w peavey amp head through fx-loop with my XL+ to drive the 4x12. It's a Mesa 4x12 8ohms, with v30's. Ideally, it would be nice if whatever I get could power TWO 4x12's, -or- ONE 2x12 and ONE 4x12. I'd like to stick with 8ohm conversationally, as that is what all my cabs are, as well as my power attenuator.

I am just looking for something affordable at the moment with the cleanest sound available, as to not color the XL+ tone. I know Matrix power amps are what you all recommend around here, but being a Carvin audio user for years I'd like to start with something less expensive on the Carvin end for now since I know they make good products.

Which one would you Carvin users recommend?

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance.

I ordered and immediately sent back a DCM200L last year.
Needless to say, I didn't think it sounded very good, especially compared to my other power amps (Bryston 2BLP, Matrix GT1000 or ART SLA-1).

Last edited:
Same for me, I ordered a DCM200L when I first got my Axe 4 years ago. I didn't think it sounded that bad -- I'd just gotten the Axe which was a huge upgrade, so how could I compare? -- but it really wasn't very loud, not even enough to gig with my 1x12. Don't think there's any way it could push your 4x12. Maybe one of the other ones on your list would work...

I've had the HD1500 Ultra Light Power Amp for a couple months now and I must say when I got it I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. Great "bang for the buck".

I 've 2 Matrix GM50, abd very pleased with (powering 2 FR Cab thomann PA302).
Really dynamic and very well suited to AFX, as they are designed for !

Another chip but good solution is the Harley benton GPA400, a sort of copy of the Velocity 300. Certinaly not as good as the matrix, but a nice for the price.

How about a Rocktron Velocity 300? More for guitars.
I really like the V300 a lot. It is flat response with the extra controls (forget what they're called) at noon but they are nice to have to help compensate for or general issues when playing at various volumes, etc, when you might actually want to quickly make a gross adjustment. One of the reasons I have always liked power amps with presence controls.

Downside: it is very physically heavy for a 1u amp.

That said, I have heard nothing bad about Carvin amps. Everyone around here loves Matrix but there are lots of good power amps and the Axe can be dialed for darn near anything it is so flexible.

Last edited:
I have the Carvin DCM200L and it has enough power for my needs (not metal). What type of Music do you play, and how loud do you need to be? If weight is important to you the DCM200L is only 1.5 kg's. The input/output signal LEDs on my 200L stopped working, but other than that malfunction the amp has served me fine.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! I'm considering saving up for a Matrix GT800FX (~$600 US), but would prefer to stick with (or under) my $400 budget.

How about a Rocktron Velocity 300? More for guitars.

Funny you mentioned this one. I saw one on ebay and was wondering if it was any good.. It only pushes 75w per channel at 8ohms (bridged), though. But I guess the 300w would be plenty of power for a single 4x12 @ 8ohms (unbridged)?

What does everyone else say about the V300?

Worth the price and better than the Carvin DCM2000L or DCM1000L?

I have the Carvin DCM200L and it has enough power for my needs (not metal). What type of Music do you play, and how loud do you need to be? If weight is important to you the DCM200L is only 1.5 kg's. The input/output signal LEDs on my 200L stopped working, but other than that malfunction the amp has served me fine.

I play metal, but I still plan on mic'ing my cab on stage, and/or running the Axe direct into the FOH/PA. (Depends on the stage and venue environment and sound.)

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! I'm considering saving up for a Matrix GT800FX (~$600 US), but would prefer to stick with (or under) my $400 budget.

Funny you mentioned this one. I saw one on ebay and was wondering if it was any good.. It only pushes 75w per channel at 8ohms (bridged), though. But I guess the 300w would be plenty of power for a single 4x12 @ 8ohms (unbridged)?

What does everyone else say about the V300?

Worth the price and better than the Carvin DCM2000L or DCM1000L?

I play metal, but I still plan on mic'ing my cab on stage, and/or running the Axe direct into the FOH/PA. (Depends on the stage and venue environment and sound.)
Check the want adds here, a matrix just went up for a good price. I'd grab it up but I already have one on the way.

If you can save for a Matrix or get one used, do that IMO. F***ing fantastic and will easily push a couple of 4x12s (at least the GT1000FX will; the 800 probably would too).

Everything I have read the last few years always recommend the Carvin 1540L.

Many people say it is comparable to the Matrix! I always been on the fence about buying a Matrix, or giving the 1540L a chance!

Used to own a Carvin HD1500 Ultra Light amp and it worked great. Really liked the light weight.
I sold it and bought a Matrix 1000 due to it's smaller size.
Other than the size, both sounded like me playing and either would do the job with no issues.
I would have no problems replacing either amp if it was stolen.
Both amps have TONS of power. I have connected up 2x 4x12 cabs to each amp and played them cranked up to about 70% in the backyard. Stupid Loud!
I used the Carvin to start playing with the local High School band that was having a football game across the freeway.
Noted the whole school band stopped playing and looked to see who and what was playing with them.
I started to be concerned that the cars on the freeway were starting to stop and may cause an accident. I shutdown after about 10 min of playing.
Both can be WAY more than you need for indoor gigs, and can really push back a crowd outdoors.
They both make so much power, you start having issues with cabs that can handle that much power.
Both are built very well and should last for years.
The Carvin is a little larger and has more power but has quieter fans.
The Maxtrix is smaller, but the fan noise can be an issue for those that demand total silence in a recording studio.
For typical indoor gigging, you will never hear the Matrix fans.
Again, both amps ended up sounding like me playing and a small EQ adjustment was all I perceived as needing.
The Carvin definitely had more power and it seemed like I never got it over 25% using just one channel most of the time.
Way more than I needed, but the weekend Guitar Wars were always funny stupid loud we me winning all the time.
It was like having a car with 1000 Horse Power. Where are you going to use it?

Everything I have read the last few years always recommend the Carvin 1540L.

Many people say it is comparable to the Matrix! I always been on the fence about buying a Matrix, or giving the 1540L a chance!
The Carvin DCM-1540L is no longer offered, that's why I went with the Carvin HD-1500 this time. I have two DCM-1540L amps, one of which died recently after 16 years of daily use. As I stated in my earlier post, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the HD-series sounds so for use with my Axe-Fx it's a non-issue that I could no longer get the 1540L.

The Carvin DCM-1540L is no longer offered, that's why I went with the Carvin HD-1500 this time. I have two DCM-1540L amps, one of which died recently after 16 years of daily use. As I stated in my earlier post, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the HD-series sounds so for use with my Axe-Fx it's a non-issue that I could no longer get the 1540L.

After I wrote this post I looked it up and noticed that they didn't appear to be listed any more. Seems odd it just disappeared!

Most people liked the 1540L because it was Class AB. All of the others they make appear to be Class D.

I have a DCM2004L (four channels, allegedly 500W@4 ohms per); I bought it in a package from a local guy who had tried (and failed) to start a sound-for-hire company - it was one of those Carvin 'packages', the amp, four coax monitors, and cables. I really only wanted two of the monitors but he wouldn't separate and the price was crazy cheap.

The amp is fine; it's quite lightweight, and plenty powerful for any guitar-type needs. It's not the most robust-feeling thing; you can tell, upon opening it, that it's not built to the same level of bulletproof as, say a QSC. But if you don't drop it off the roof of your house, I reckon the DCM-Ls will work fine.

Having said that, I've lately been using it for, well, actual monitor power, so I bought another amp for guitar - a Behringer NU4-6000 . Absolutely insane, even if the power levels are only half of what they claim, and $349 MAP. Three cheers for Chinese slave labor, I guess.

Last edited:
Ain't it the truth... thanks for the laugh Admiral!

Yeah, but it's really got serious. I can't imagine a better deal than these Behringer amps. They've got a 3-year warranty (much better than Carvin, I believe) and they do like four times the power at about half the cost. And they feel a lot more substantial too.

Yeah, but it's really got serious. I can't imagine a better deal than these Behringer amps. They've got a 3-year warranty (much better than Carvin, I believe) and they do like four times the power at about half the cost. And they feel a lot more substantial too.

That's interesting. I was at the Carvin factory in SD a few weeks back spoke to Jeff Kiesel... nice kid, and he told me that the guitars and the Pro audio portion are too different companies using the same name. I think he said his Uncle runs the Pro audio side. He also mentioned that they are going to move the guitar portion to a different location in Escondido CA with the Keisel name.

With the Behringer stuff getting better seems like a lot more people will be moving to them. It's going to be hard for them to get away from the bad karma they have created over the years with the junk they have been selling. The Midus buy was a smart move on their part looks like it's starting to payoff.

Back
Top Bottom