What Brand of strings do YOU like best ? ( include guitar type )

I tried Tite-Fits once because I'm stupid like that and I do everything Trey Anastasio does but they needed so much readjustment to my PRS to work I gave up and went back to DAddarios.

I love really high string tension though so maybe I'll give em a go again...

I was a long time Dean Markley Blue Steel user, 9-42 for trem guitars, 10-46 for hardtails. Tried a bunch of strings the beginning of the year and have switched over to Curt Mangan Fusion Matched 9-42's for all guitars (see sig). I also like the Rotosound Roto Pinks (9-42) it tried as well.

I used DR Tite for a while and liked them but got some that were pitted and every once in a while, I would get a string that was way out of the normal intonation. They also broke more often than EB,D'A and GHS. But they do stay in tune better and that's what I liked about them.

Elixer on both electric and acoustic. I like the feel, lack of squeakiness (especially on acoustic), great sound, and long life. Tried a set years back, been using them ever since. Former EB and GHS player, and both were good as well. Just prefer these for the reasons mentioned.

I have noticed that Ernie Ball's (haha) packaging has become regressive in preventing rust or other environmental extremes into their packaging. With that, I only play EB Regular/Super Slinky Cobalts because of the longevity the string gives as well as the tone. I play a PRS Studio, Hollowbody II and 513 as well as a Squire Japanese Strat. Sounds great on all of them, I would highly suggest the switch to their cobalt line since I can go 2-3 months without changing strings at about 2-4 hours per week of playtime.

+1 on that :)

I have noticed that Ernie Ball's (haha) packaging has become regressive in preventing rust or other environmental extremes into their packaging. With that, I only play EB Regular/Super Slinky Cobalts because of the longevity the string gives as well as the tone. I play a PRS Studio, Hollowbody II and 513 as well as a Squire Japanese Strat. Sounds great on all of them, I would highly suggest the switch to their cobalt line since I can go 2-3 months without changing strings at about 2-4 hours per week of playtime.

I've been reluctant to try cobalts. I've heard others say they were tough on the fingers ? What gauge do you use ?

NYXL's of various gauges depending on the tuning. Mainly PRS guitars and Jackson's. I was using dunlop heavy cores for a while when they 1st came out and then tried the EB M-steel's and I did dig them, but I like the NYXL's just a bit better.

I just bought a dozen sets of fender strings (6 strat & 6 tele) - and around half of them were rusty!!
Terrible quality - is there a way to ensure this does not happen? - like use by dates or something?
Thanks
Pauly

I've been an Ernie Ball regular slinky 10's user for a long time , until I recently got 4 packs that had rust on them ( inside their vacuum sealed package )

So , I decided to give ghs BOOMERS 10-46 a shot. I'm really liking them. Nice feel. Flexible.Sound good ,. ...and they seem to stay in tune. It's early , but so far so good.

If it hadn't been for the rust on the Balls ( a common problem after 20 + years of marriage as well ) , I probably wouldn't have ventured out and tried the ghs BOOMERS.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT , if you haven't tried many kinds , or thought you had your favorite brand already. ( like me )

NYXL 9-42 for the last 6 months. Previously used Elixers for 10 years. Before that Blue Steel.

I'm old school and still play in standard or 1/2 step down tuning.

What made you try the NYXL ?

I needed to re-stock my string cache. So, just doing some reading and research on zee 'ol internet to see everything that's out there as I hadn't looked for a long long time, and they kept popping up here and there.

and then I saw this news article, so I thought I would check em out.

http://www.daddario.com/DaddarioNew...1440&sid=6ce432c5-ac9b-4902-b3b2-442b4f39883d

They are really great strings for classic thrash metal and hard rock. nice and bright without ice pick, tons of sustain, and rich fat harmonics. I am in standard tuning, and beat the crap out of these strings with a floyd rose, and 2-3 step bends and they are extremely stable, always return to perfect tuning. They just scream for me. Very full and crisp clean tone. They feel good too, hard to explain, just smoother to play. I use big bends nut sauce which also helps a lot.

Only downside... I've become way too used to Elixers that last 3 months or more lol.... I hate changing strings!!!! I wish these lasted longer and @ $14 CAD (after tax) these ain't exactly cheap either.

Another NYXL user here. I have fitted all my guitars with 10-46, Strat, Tele, PRS Custom 24 and 2 LPs. However, I've recently bought that second Les Paul and it came with 9-46s and I'm really liking the feel of that gauge so am considering switching the LPs and Strat to 9-46s instead - not sure though!

...I've recently bought that second Les Paul and it came with 9-46s and I'm really liking the feel of that gauge so am considering switching the LPs and Strat to 9-46s instead - not sure though!
9-46 is wonderfully playable, without the floppy lower strings that you get with 9s.

I keep 9-46s on my performance guitars, and 10-46 on my practice guitars. Whatever I can play on 10s, I can play better on 9s.

Back
Top Bottom