What are your favorite Fender models? (Free IR and Preset)

I usually get this weird frappy, fizzy fuzz

I do too. Almost every "somebody else's" Fender preset I try, has a usable clean sound underneath a harsh buzzy static when I dig in at all. My Fender presets are always at like 3 or less on the input drive, and many others seem to get a clean/crunchy thing going at 5 or 6. I've always been curious about it. I will try trimming the input and EQ'ing some input bass out.

That's been my experience as well. I usually get this weird frappy, fizzy fuzz on many of them, especially as the note is decaying. Happens with all of my guitars (SC's and HB's) and thru any listen-back source (headphones, FRFR, studio reference monitors). I get that with many of the factory presets as well since getting the III (never happened with my 2XL). Most of the drive pedals frap out as well in front of most of the amps I put them in front of - tried reducing the gain, using low cut, decreasing bass, dropping the input level on Input 1 down to as low 30%....no joy. No clue what causes it so I've kinda stopped using the drive pedals in many of my presets and use the input boost in the Preamp section instead. Get the same with Justin's patch here, although, I've been able to reduce the frizzy frap by dropping the input trim down to .500 - and it sounds fantastic. You pretty much expect to have to do a bit of tweaking on other people's presets but I've long wondered if there's something going on with my III or, after nearly 5 decades of playing, my ears are finally just too shot.
I’ve been experiencing the same thing. I’ve been thinking that it has to be me. I thought I had it “fixed” a few times now but it’s still there. My friend just bought an AF3 and I plan to compare with mine. I’ll report back when I do. Posting here in case there’s a common thing we’re all doing.

I’ve been experiencing the same thing. I’ve been thinking that it has to be me. I thought I had it “fixed” a few times now but it’s still there. My friend just bought an AF3 and I plan to compare with mine. I’ll report back when I do. Posting here in case there’s a common thing we’re all doing.

The real amps do that too. Some more than others. FAS modeling is very damn good, so the fizz and crackling is all there.

The real amps do that too. Some more than others. FAS modeling is very damn good, so the fizz and crackling is all there.
I have tons of real amps. I’m definitely doing something wrong. I must be, they don’t make this sound. I’m going to go through the process, start a new thread, record a clip, post the preset etc.

Could be you’re really hearing it on the modeler and FRFR if that’s what you’re using. It’s not as evident through a traditional amp and cab but it’s there. It does vary by amp type with the Marshalls being the biggest offenders. Fenders do it too, with fuzzy overtones and high harmonics riding on top. Tubes make a lot of strange noises when clipped. Check out this thread and note Cliffs post.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/marshall-note-decay-sizzle.179450/#post-2189908

Could be you’re really hearing it on the modeler and FRFR if that’s what you’re using. It’s not as evident through a traditional amp and cab but it’s there. It does vary by amp type with the Marshalls being the biggest offenders. Fenders do it too, with fuzzy overtones and high harmonics riding on top. Tubes make a lot of strange noises when clipped. Check out this thread and note Cliffs post.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/marshall-note-decay-sizzle.179450/#post-2189908
Without a doubt it’s brought out more by playing the AF and FRFR, and Marshall’s are the biggest offenders. I’ve always had to lower the bass on my Marshalls but it seems that I’m super heavy on the bass with this system. I’m sure the IR’s in the AF are great but I think I need to load up the OH ones I was getting great sounds with VSTs with.

Without a doubt it’s brought out more by playing the AF and FRFR, and Marshall’s are the biggest offenders. I’ve always had to lower the bass on my Marshalls but it seems that I’m super heavy on the bass with this system. I’m sure the IR’s in the AF are great but I think I need to load up the OH ones I was getting great sounds with VSTs with.
Are you comparing your real amps by micing them and recording?

Comparing the sound of an amp into a cabinet is not the same as the Axe Fx model into an IR. Using a Cab block and IR is the equivalent of a mic'd speaker cabinet.

Yup. Fizzy as all get out. And perfect! :)

Are you comparing your real amps by micing them and recording?

Comparing the sound of an amp into a cabinet is not the same as the Axe Fx model into an IR. Using a Cab block and IR is the equivalent of a mic'd speaker cabinet.
I understand all of this. I have vintage amps, and have friends with vintage amps. I’ve recorded vintage amps. I know it’s not the AFX, as I’ve said above. I’ll do this the right way and post my preset and recording when I’m ready.

Vivian Campbell. :)
🫢 Oh that's right. I had it backwards... man Vivian Campbell is underrated! Thanks for the clarification. Goldy was there when I saw them live. It must have been later than I recall. I just remember them killing it with Rainbow in the Dark. I had listened to that song a lot, and live it was on a different level.

Last edited:
🫢 Oh that's right. I had it backwards... man Vivian Campbell is underrated! Thanks for the clarification. Goldy was there when I saw them live. It must have been later than I recall. I just remember them killing it with Rainbow in the Dark. I had listened to that song a lot, and live it was on a different level.
Craig joined on Dream Evil - the 4th studio album.

That was a great concert. That time is kind of a blur for me, it was a long time ago. Lots of experimenting with catching all kinds of shows and listening to punk, metal, rock, and I really loved 70s Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, and I'm forgetting a few, but what a decade, what musicanship!!!

That's been my experience as well. I usually get this weird frappy, fizzy fuzz on many of them, especially as the note is decaying. Happens with all of my guitars (SC's and HB's) and thru any listen-back source (headphones, FRFR, studio reference monitors). I get that with many of the factory presets as well since getting the III (never happened with my 2XL). Most of the drive pedals frap out as well in front of most of the amps I put them in front of - tried reducing the gain, using low cut, decreasing bass, dropping the input level on Input 1 down to as low 30%....no joy. No clue what causes it so I've kinda stopped using the drive pedals in many of my presets and use the input boost in the Preamp section instead. Get the same with Justin's patch here, although, I've been able to reduce the frizzy frap by dropping the input trim down to .500 - and it sounds fantastic. You pretty much expect to have to do a bit of tweaking on other people's presets but I've long wondered if there's something going on with my III or, after nearly 5 decades of playing, my ears are finally just too shot.

Same experience here. Yesterday I have done some experiment putting the klon as a clean boost in whatever fender in crunchy mode, and it fucked up the tone completely, weird sound, with the gain at zero in the klon. Then I tried other od because it was really weird and same thing.

Thanks for sharing this, I was starting to wonder if it wasn't my axe that had a problem.

Last edited:
I understand all of this. I have vintage amps, and have friends with vintage amps. I’ve recorded vintage amps. I know it’s not the AFX, as I’ve said above. I’ll do this the right way and post my preset and recording when I’m ready.
Reread this while checking out the new posts and it sounded grumpy. Not my intent. I just felt like I was hijacking the thread by attracting responses and didn’t want it to drag on. Appreciate the responses just the same.

Back
Top Bottom