What are you guys using for live/gig backup?

Cainer

Experienced
Figured this is as good a pace to ask as any - I'm using the Axe II live a lot and need something as a backup in case in dies on a gig. I don't have the $$ for a second one, and also don't want to lug another one around. Is the G3 where it's at for in-a-pinch budget get-you-through-the-gig gear? What are you guys using?

EDIT: should mention I play mostly blues, funk, rock - no metal. Mostly use the Fender blackface and Marshal Plexi models.

Zoom G3X for me. It lives in the bottom of my duffle bag, so compact that I forget I have it with me. I actually quite like it, for what it is. Every so often I'll boot it up and revisit the patches and tweak a little bit. In fact, I was just recording some samples the other night so I could tweak the G3 to get it closer to the Axe Fx, which I haven't done yet. But at least you can hear where I'm at so far. I was also comparing it to another backup option. I just get the Atomic Amplifire, although it's three times the price of the G3. I think the G3 may actually have more effect options, and I like that the G3X has the expression pedal built in. Anyway, this sample has the Axe Fx first, then the G3, and then the Amplifire. It's just a little short clip of the riff from "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls. I just happened to be testing that patch.

I leave my G3 in the mode where you can scroll up and down between patches, rather than the mode where you can turn effects on and off. If you are handy, there is a cool website that explains a bunch of mods you can do to the G3.

AshBass Zoom G3 and G5 Mods and Information

I also think that the G3 is a better choice in that it's spending $200 on something you most likely will never use. Before I got that, I was carrying around the Zoom MS-50G. It actually sounds identical to the G3. If you only need one or 2 sounds, that may be a better option. I wanted more patches and an expression pedal, which is why I switched to the G3.

But, at the end of the day, the Axe Fx is the only thing that gets used.

Axe-Fx power supply and 2 Eproms in my "crash kit" in the car.
I gig with a computer, and the power supply is a four-nut replacement I believe. That's doable on a break.

thanks y'all!

EDIT: I think I'm going to pick up a G3 - I don't think I can beat the price for something that's just going to help me limp through a night or two if my Axe dies (god forbid).

Last edited:
My backup is the POD XT Live I gigged with before I got the Axe-Fx. I've only had to use it once since I got my Fractal stuff last November.

Boss GT-6. Really great value on Ebay now for $130 - $170. Since my AX8 shows up tomorrow, there about to be another for sale very soon! Although for a backup I'd probably buy the GT-100 now for about double the GT-6 price.

I'm sure this isn't the intention, but the AX8 backs up my XL+.

From the budget side, I used the Tech 21 Flyrig 5 before i got the AX8: sounds really great and is super easy to carry in a bag (mine fits (power unit and all) in the pocket of my PRS 513 case. Great mid-gain sounds. Be happy to let you try mine if you're interested.

Tech 21 Fly Rig as well here - it's so tiny, it fits in my guitar case.. I haven't even tried it in my FRFR speaker yet, but from what I understand, it sounds decent enough.....

I must say for clean and mid gain stuff, along with Marshall Plexi tones etc... The Eleven rack does a great job, easily second place to the axe, IMO, and they are CHEAP. You also get the full functionality of midi and a backup sound card. They don't call it the poor man's Axe-fx for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom