what are you guys putting in your rack?

My recording rig:

1. AxeFx Standard
2. MetricHalo ULN2+DSP (HQ Firewire Audio Interface for Mac)
3. Lexicon PCM70 (V2.0) Digital Effects Prozessor
4. MesaBoogie Studio Preamp (all tube 2 channels, Mk IIC+ alike preamp design)
5. Alesis Midiverb 2- 16bit Digital Effects Prozessor
:ugeek:

in the back....two Countryman FET85 DI-Boxes (not used at the moment....just for live gigs!)

fuhrman power conditioner
empty space (soon to be filled with an x2)
lexicon jamman
axe standard
art sla2 (powering a mesa 4x12 cab)

Simple and compact "Go-Direct" rack in a Gator 4 space rack bag.
UltraCompactRack1.jpg

Korg Tuner
Axe-Fx Ultra
Carvin Power Conditioner
(Home made floor rack stand)

Connect directly to the mixer and WAH-LA!!!

Going a bit OT here, apologies...
Noticed the Carvin power conditioner in the previous post instead of the ubiquitous Furman units, so I decided to do a little research.

Looking for reviews, all I could really find were audiophile sites with comments like, "This power conditioner makes my system sound dry and boxy...". Probably could fix that with one of those $700 line cords... :lol:

Headed on over to PSW (Pro Sound Web) where I've gotten lots of good advice over the years. It didn't take long to find the consensus there:
1. You don't need a power conditioner.
2. If you get one with MOVs it could cause problems.
3. You don't need a power conditioner.
4. If you really, really need surge protection buy something from SurgeX
5. You don't need a power conditioner.

Some of the models do have nice pull-out lights, though. ;)

Well it looks like my rack needs another 2 thousand dollar unit for the axe to work perfectly with my pro tools sessions.

As it turns out, in order to have the Axe FX be perfectly compatible with my 88.2k sample rate recording sessions, I have to spend an additional 2 grand on the following sample rate converter to avoid a phenomenon called "drift", and for the highest quality SRC.

This is because my crappy m-audio soundcard has crap A-D converters and so I have to go in with the optical digital input, and i definetly would not trust the clocking/ or SRC of my crap m-audio sound card

http://www.drawmer.com/products/dms/m-c ... ck-src.php

23DaFl.jpg

Got this Gator 4U rack case with wheels for around USD$60 last week! Grab another studio2go as well.

It's like a 4 1/2 U rack after I remove the wooden plank on one of the rack space.

-Korg dtr-1000
-Axe Fx Ultra
-1U shelf to hold my midi controller (Peak2005 FCN4N) . Really small and nice midi controller. All my cables will be out from the shelf.

The pink color thing on the right is my hamster cage.

As you can see I'm a neat guy. hahah!

LMO said:
Going a bit OT here, apologies...
Noticed the Carvin power conditioner in the previous post instead of the ubiquitous Furman units, so I decided to do a little research.

Looking for reviews, all I could really find were audiophile sites with comments like, "This power conditioner makes my system sound dry and boxy...". Probably could fix that with one of those $700 line cords... :lol:

Headed on over to PSW (Pro Sound Web) where I've gotten lots of good advice over the years. It didn't take long to find the consensus there:
1. You don't need a power conditioner.
2. If you get one with MOVs it could cause problems.
3. You don't need a power conditioner.
4. If you really, really need surge protection buy something from SurgeX
5. You don't need a power conditioner.

Some of the models do have nice pull-out lights, though. ;)
What they said over at PSW about not "needing" a power conditioner is true right up to that very moment that you "do" need it and you don't know it. If you do not make sure that you are actually getting the 110V or 120V to your rack bad things can happen quite quickly. What usually goes wrong (when something goes wrong) is that the power supply feeding the band is inadequate for the needs of the band and you can literally "brown out" the power supply to the band and actually change the line voltage coming to your unit. If you don't have "something" telling you that the line voltage has changed you can seriously damage units in your rack. I have actually seen my power conditioner telling me that the line voltage was between 90V and 100V; I grabbed an additional extension cord and ran it to another outlet and the problem was gone. Knowledge can save you thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment replacement.

If you're ALWAYS on the same power supply and you know that it is a reliable power source (like maybe your home) then not having a power conditioner is quite reasonable; however, if you play out in a variety of venues the couple of hundreds dollars to protect a $2000 Axe-Fx Ultra. Seems like cheap investment choice to help protect the big dollar investment OR you can choose to save a buck or two now and wait until something fries.

LMO said:
..."This power conditioner makes my system sound dry and boxy..."
My Carvin power conditioner does nothing of the sort. I have a bunch of Carvin rack equipment and everything is completely transparent.

Hope you get your rack setup fast so you can ROCK that Axe-Fx!!!!!

I was saying only that the AxeFx does not require power conditioning. With the universal switching supply it is tolerant of voltage variations and noisy power.

The comment about a power conditioner affecting the tone in that way was quoted to show how useless audiophile reviews are with regards to selecting a power conditioner for this application. How can you say your unit is transparent when it is not even in the signal path?

Oops, I guess I misunderstood a little; sorry about that.

All the Carvin gear that has been in my signal chain has been completely transparent. The power conditioner has never created any noise of any kind or changed the sound.

Mine is:

Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Ultra
ART SLA1 Power Amp

I'm starting my Axe journey with power amp/guitar cabs, but can kind of see myself switching to a FRFR/active studio monitor setup in the near future.

Power conditioner
IEM Wireless & Mixer (for mixing monitor feed or Aviom with AxeFx)
AxeFx
Blank Panel (maybe will become a Line6 G90 wireless someday...)
Interface panel so that everything plugs into the front. From left to right it's MIDI In, MIDI Out, Output 1 XLR Left, Output 1 XLR Right, Output 2 1/4" Left, Output 2 1/4" Right, Mixer Input Channel 2 Left, Mixer Input Channel 2 Right, Mixer Input Channel 3 Stereo, and the last 1/4" jack isn't connected to anything... just filling a hole haha.

AXEFX%20%28Small%29.JPG

I have a 5 space 12"deep cheapo that fits in a cordura bag for transport. Had to use a few right-angle plugs to get all to fit.
Furman AR-1215 - I know I don't need it, but I'm superstitious regarding crappy AC, especially in my old house. :roll: :lol:
1 empty space for future goodies
Ultra connected via AES/EBU to
MOTU Traveler which connects to the world of computers and sound reinforcement.
2 Rocktron Hex pedals on the floor.
One VOX coily cord with Neutrik plugs

Adam Hall Rack light
Laptop drawer with Laptop in..
Skrydstrupp Powercentre
Axefx
Marshall 8008 will be going back in to power bogners

1f582b71.jpg

48f031ae.jpg

143ec94c.jpg

67745f34.jpg

browlett said:
"What are you guys putting in your rack?"

Silicone implants. :?

In all seriousness, I have NOTHING in my rack besides my Ultra.

and back rimes with rack... you all have one guess of what I first read as the thread title...

(jesus... what´s going on in my head...) :oops: :shock: :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On topic:

Haven´t ditched my old rack scrape yet, not sure that there will be many that disappears either to tell the truth. There are some magic sounds in there that doesn´t get quite the same in my Ultra. Some parameters needed doesn´t even exists in some effect blocks, some routing needed aren´t possible. Well, you get the point...

But I´m working on it. Try to "clone" my rack scrape to see if I am able to narrow it down... great way to learn my Ultra and to discover new sounds in there!

/Mike

WKG said:
I am pretty simple. A Furman, Axe FX, my IEM unit, a blank space where I pulled my Mesa 20/20 and a single space drawer where I put my Guitar wireless transmitter, IEM receiver and Atrios, strings, batteries, extra cord etc. The little Alesis compressor is used as a IEM limiter only for the incoming band mix for safety purposes, I occasionally find myself in situations with mic screamers and no dedicated monitor engineers. The limiter switch on the Mipro kills everything....

P1430118.jpg

P1430127.jpg

Oh, that's cool.
I have everything pretty messy in the drawer, what is that thing, foam? How did you make a hole so you can stick your wireless there?

Back
Top Bottom