What are you finding limitations with patches and CPU?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Guys that converted from Axe Fx II mainly. Besides the dual amp and cab thing. What all are you running in your patches of note?

One of my main frustrations is the bad MIDI implementation.
I can't run my pedals through my Gordius because the Ax8 can't handle the data stream.

Guys that converted from Axe Fx II mainly. Besides the dual amp and cab thing. What all are you running in your patches of note?

Many of the Axe FX presets have full chains of fx, like chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary etc in the same presets, once you open a converted axefx preset like that in AX8, the reverb gets disabled due to the automatic CPU compensation.

Now, if you turn quality to normal and set the rever voices to 3 that will take it back on and you can even gain more CPU by disabling ULTRARES in the Cab Block.

Since i don't need rotary, flanger, phaser and chorus on the same preset, i just Shunt them away and gain plenty of CPU to run higher quality resolution where is needed.

The AX8 is not an AxeFX on the floor. I really think, it requires a slightly different mindset. If you try to make it your AxeFX on the floor, you will find yourself with workarounds upon workarounds, and disappointments galore.

If however, you look at it with fresh eyes, get a grip on what it can do, and what it cannot do. You can adjust your habits to fit the AX8, and you may become a very happy user.

The majority of my presets are very basic and in most cases that sounds the best live. They have light reverb and when needed delay, chorus or flanger. Not much more needed for my situation.

I don't have an issue with it. My presets all have compressor\Drive\amp\cab\volblk\chorus delay\delay\reverb. I use Ultrarez cabs, but I do make sure I use normal on reverb when I have 2 delays, etc

I also agree 100% with Smittefar.

I initially had some problems with the reverb block getting disabled but worked around that with solutions above. Instead of using full effect templates to set up presets like on the II, you have to be a little more selective on the 8. You also don't really know for sure if you have a resource problem if you are using the USB as that consumes resources, too. I may also be having some problems with MIDI implementation with an external looper and midi clock pedal, but that is more likely user error.

My only gripe is the lag when amp switching... Even on optimized presets. I hope they make a 3-4 CPU version of the AX8 at some point :)

None - it did force me to remove some "just because I can" blocks, but I have not lost any functionality or tone compared to my AFX.
What I mean is on my AFXII patches I would have two drive blocks simply because I could when realistically I never actually used or needed two drive blocks.

I've always used one drive block to give my some drive and then PEQs or Filter blocks for clean boosts. I then use Scene Controllers to vary the amp gain or input trim as I much prefer amp drive - with all those combos I can cover all the gain levels I need within a single preset.

I run my reverb on 'Normal' and haven't yet needed to drop the echo density to save CPU, but it's good knowing I can if I need to free up CPU.

I kept both, because they are different animals for different things. As far as needs, I haven't run out of capability on the AX8... far from it.

As a comparison, when I was gigging with tube amps I had a small one and a big one for the same reasons. Would the small one cover it all? No way. But it covered what I bought it to cover. That's my mindset with the AX8. It hasn't disappointed me at all, quite the opposite. Like others have said, if you think of it on its own terms, you're golden. Capable in the extreme for what it is.

In fairness though, I don't think my uses have ever put a scare into the XL+ processors. I could be an AX8 only guy if I had a reason.

The AX8 is not an AxeFX on the floor. I really think, it requires a slightly different mindset. If you try to make it your AxeFX on the floor, you will find yourself with workarounds upon workarounds, and disappointments galore.

If however, you look at it with fresh eyes, get a grip on what it can do, and what it cannot do. You can adjust your habits to fit the AX8, and you may become a very happy user.
before i had my axefx, i was using a vox tonelab se. the axefx allowed me to create what i always wished the vox could do. so when i got the ax8, i went back to my approach with the vox by keeping things simple and setting up multiple presets for certain effects. you have to do things differently on ax8 which took some getting use to but it's also helped with my axefx programming chops too. not only streamlining presets but how things function too. i'll bet there's a new mfc in the works, hopefully with x/y switches and freely assignable footswitches like the ax8! and a little off topic but I'd love to see Fractal make a physical hardware unit of the FAS Drive ;-)

Tremonti....Did anyone mention the Spring reverb? Nero posted a preset he made yesterday.Check it out... a zillion blocks and only 78%.....Using Spring reverb, which is important because the reverbs are the cpu eaters. Springs are NOT... Check it out.

spring reverb, also if you use a compressor,i think pedal 1/2 type is less cpu hungry, also cab in normal mode,other tips guys?

Yeah, if for example, you are doing the classic tube screamer settings of Gain 0, tone 10, level 10, you can almost the same effect by using a filter block with an aggressive lo-cut and a peaking (high) mid boost.

The midi problem above is specific to the Gordus stuff. M@ talked about some where else.

My Axe preset was over built. Two amps two drives and effects like Phaser that I programmed and never used once. Verb and Drives are the CPU hungry beasts. Obviously I could not have two amps I ditched drive two and ditched phaser and I was in business. My patches have Wah Drive Vol Amp Cab Pitch Rotary Filter Verb and Delay. I am not using spring verb but rather Deep space and medium and room. I knocked it to normal res and lowered the density when I got my Ax but may have raised it up since.

im not a fan of spring reverb, im a plate kinda guy, so that leaves me draining the cpu often, but i will try to avoid using the drives, grrrrr :)

Back
Top Bottom