What amp, if did not have the Axe Fx III?

My absolute benchmark amp is my 1971 Marshall Super lead. To get the tone and chain I've created up in my Fractal units I would need:
My 100 watt '71 super lead
My matching quad box loaded with replacement 74 greenbacks
2 SM57's
My CE-1 chorus
My RE301 Space echo x 3
My AKG BX-20 reverb x 2
My Quadraverb 2
My Micmix Master Room reverb
A 32 channel desk
An echoplex
A binson echorec
A bi-phaser
An Ursa Major Space Station
Eventide H3000
Bob Moog
Tomita
Alan Parsons
Jesus
The restaurant at the end of the universe

I’ve got a Mesa Boogie Road King II 2x12 combo that is like 4 amps in one… hard to beat when they all sound good. I was gigging a Road King prior to the Axe Fx changeover a decade ago, and it would be the easiest path back. My Mesa Nomad 55 is similarly versatile.

That said, I’ve spent most of my amp time in the last year on a PRS HX/DA. It’s a versatile single channel 50 watt amp that sounds incredibly good. Like genuine Plexi good. I rebuilt a 1960A cab for it using UK made Greenbacks, and the combination of the HX/DA through the Marshall cab sounds so authentic that I might even be persuaded to load a 4x12 again.

But I’m happy with the Axe Fx, and my back is happy with my choice.

I have an H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 that covers most of the bases, but a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe would probably be my choice if I didn't have the AxeFx. Luckily, I do.

Last edited:
I still have my rack mount TC 100, and my Magnatone SuperFifteen combo amp - these aren't going anywhere, including out for gigs now that I'm starting to get the hang of my AxeFxIII. I will definitely hold on too the Mesa as it is "Pre - Gibson" LOL.

I'd be using my Mesa Roadster or my ENGL Invader II with the sound module.

Those two amps, along with a handful of pedals, cover more than enough ground for my playing needs.

Played the child and now going back to the father, eh?
Yeah pretty much you nailed it although I never thought of it like that. :)

This thread is a few years old but in the end I did end up getting a fender Princeton reverb. Really enjoy the little thing, sounds great feels great. Or at least for my taste.

Yeah pretty much you nailed it although I never thought of it like that. :)

This thread is a few years old but in the end I did end up getting a fender Princeton reverb. Really enjoy the little thing, sounds great feels great. Or at least for my taste.
If I had not been broke from just having bought a house, my roomie had a nice '60s PR and a 2005 custom-color-of-the-year Ricky 660/12 for sale that I'd've snagged....

I just received a Mesa TC-100 to mainly use with my Marshall 4X10 cab. I look forward to trying the 4CM with the FM9. I like how on the TC-100 it has a power soak on each of the three channels. Very versatile when I use it with some of my lower wattage cabs.

I just received a Mesa TC-100 to mainly use with my Marshall 4X10 cab. I look forward to trying the 4CM with the FM9. I like how on the TC-100 it has a power soak on each of the three channels. Very versatile when I use it with some of my lower wattage cabs.
I bet that will be awesome. It is a great amp for sure, I haven't tried the 4 cable method as I was afraid I might like it too much and then have to haul the amp and cab around. Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Marshall JMP-1 with Marshall 100/100 6L6 power amp.

My basement rig. I've never turned it on and said - maybe I'll sell this.
I love it.

Last edited:
Prior to FAS, the Peavey JSX (COUGH @FractalAudio PLEASE model itCOUGH) was my weapon of choice and it really covered all my bases. If it wasn't for FAS I would be totally GASing for the MESA JP2C.

Back
Top Bottom