What am I doing wrong with output 2 of my XL+?

So this is why when running axe 4CM with my fender hot rod deluxe fx loop,none of the controls on the fender amp respond at all?? If so, Why is this the case with the AxeFx because I used the fender amps fx loop before but with a few reverb and delay pedals and this wasn't the case in that scenario.

Any time you plug into the front of the Fender, all the Fender controls should work normally.

#1 4CM

Guitar -> Fractal -> Fender front panel input
Fender efx send -> Fractal -> Fender efx return

In that mode, you amp controls work normally since you are plugging into the front of the amp and using both the efx send and return of the amp.

#2 Fender power amp only

Guitar -> Fractal -> Fender exf return

In that mode, the Fender amp controls (depending on the amp, master volume, presence, depth etc.) would normally not have any affect.

Think their is a lot of confusion going on here how 4CM actually works :rolleyes: and what yer trying to achieve. 4CM can let you use Axe-Fx or your amps pre-amp for your tone!

I have this going on with my Mark 5:25 with 4cm. Does this mean I would want to use preamp sims with my presets.
You mean you're running 4CM, but your volume knob doesn't work? If that's the case, something isn't set up right.

Think their is a lot of confusion going on here how 4CM actually works :rolleyes: and what yer trying to achieve. 4CM can let you use Axe-Fx or your amps pre-amp for your tone!
Right, and for some reason it's bypassing my amps preamp and everything is connected via 4CM from the axe manual.

Right, and for some reason it's bypassing my amps preamp and everything is connected via 4CM from the axe manual.
Then something in your preset is preventing signal from getting to your amp's input.

Reread the section on 4CM, paying special attention to the part that explains how to set up your preset.

I am running 4 cm method with my Mesa 5:25 and when I use AX8 amp models the controls on my my Mesa do not work.When I use the Mesa with 4cm they do work. Does this mean I am bypassing the preamp of the Mesa and I should use the AX8 preamp models. Thanks for any explanation that will clear it up for me.

I am running 4 cm method with my Mesa 5:25 and when I use AX8 amp models the controls on my my Mesa do not work.When I use the Mesa with 4cm they do work. Does this mean I am bypassing the preamp of the Mesa and I should use the AX8 preamp models. Thanks for any explanation that will clear it up for me.
I don't quite understand your question. Basically, you asked whether you should use the AX8 amp models when you're using the AX8 amp models. :)

when I use AX8 amp models the controls on my my Mesa do not work.When I use the Mesa with 4cm they do work.
This is not clear. How are you “using” the AX8 amp models as opposed to “using” the Mesa?

What controls on the Mesa are you trying to have work when using the AX8 models?

I don't quite understand your question. Basically, you asked whether you should use the AX8 amp models when you're using the AX8 amp models. :)

This is not clear. How are you “using” the AX8 amp models as opposed to “using” the Mesa?

What controls on the Mesa are you trying to have work when using the AX8 models?

I smell more confusion about when and why 4CM is used...

I don't use it, but would suspect in most cases, you wouldn't use an Amp block in 4CM unless you have it working as a "Drive" (Sag at 0 or power amp modeling off), right?

If you're using it as a Drive, then placement of the block is paramount. You would really want it "before" the real amp's input just like a drive pedal.

I don't use it, but would suspect in most cases, you wouldn't use an Amp block in 4CM unless you have it working as a "Drive" (Sag at 0 or power amp modeling off), right?
Wouldn’t you just place the Amp block after the FX loop Block so it goes into the power amp only? And yes, most likely having power amp modeling off as you would when using with a power amp. I haven’t done 4CM in a while.

Not sure about this 4CM. As a said and a few others have stated, when in 4CM NONE of my combo amps controls work. It absolutely have it hooked up correctly! I tried to put in an fx loop block to see what happens and nada, still same! I tried on a bunch of basic factory presets and nada. Should note that I removed amp block and no sound. During all these experiments I left amp and cab sims on so maybe i need to kill the amp sims? Idk

...when in 4CM NONE of my combo amps controls work.
Then you’re not truly in 4CM mode. You might have it hooked up correctly, but your preset isn’t set up correctly.

I tried on a bunch of basic factory presets and nada.
The factory presets aren’t set up for 4CM. Go back and read the page in the manual about 4CM. It’s more than just having the right connections.

Not sure about this 4CM. As a said and a few others have stated, when in 4CM NONE of my combo amps controls work. It absolutely have it hooked up correctly! I tried to put in an fx loop block to see what happens and nada, still same! I tried on a bunch of basic factory presets and nada. Should note that I removed amp block and no sound. During all these experiments I left amp and cab sims on so maybe i need to kill the amp sims? Idk
I don't think so... The basic premise of 4CM is to be able to use BOTH your amp and the Axe Fx.

I'm pretty sure you need to have an FX Loop AND Output 2 turned up to 100%.

Wouldn’t you just place the Amp block after the FX loop Block so it goes into the power amp only? And yes, most likely having power amp modeling off as you would when using with a power amp. I haven’t done 4CM in a while.
In 4CM you are using the real amp for the preamp, so I would think you would not want a second preamp.

In 4CM you are using the real amp for the preamp, so I would think you would not want a second preamp.
True but I definitely used the amp models after the Fx Loop block when I used 4CM with a VH4 and I got pretty good results with the amp models in addition to the real amp. I’m sure there are better ways to route it.

True but I definitely used the amp models after the Fx Loop block when I used 4CM with a VH4 and I got pretty good results with the amp models in addition to the real amp. I’m sure there are better ways to route it.
Very true. But let’s keep it simple, for the benefit of those who are still working to wrap their heads around 4CM. :)

You need the FX Loop block for 4CM

See section 3.4.6 http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf

Back
Top Bottom