What 1987X mod is?

aftec

Inspired
OK. So we have the Plexi1, Plexi2, Brown, now we have the 1987x mod.
Is this modeled with cascaded channels or is it some kind of different Plexi mod ?

1987x is a Plexi reissue with a switchable effects loop, but since we already have 2 Plexi models, I wonder what the difference is compared to the others. The name has the "mod" in it, and it's situated close to the 2 BE mods, maybe the Dave Friedman C45?

The mod means that the C5 cap is removed. If i remember well the C5 cap is the bright cap on the PCB for this model. This is a mod commonly done by people who find the amp too trebly/harschy with this bright cap.(you can add one if you want with the Axe and choose the value)
By the way the first coupling cap is 22nf instead of 2.2nf for the other plexis (don't know for the marshas) so now you can jump channel going from 2.2nf to 22nf or from 22nf to 22nf that's what you do when you jump channels following your type of plexi.

Schematic there :
http://www.schematicheaven.com/marshall ... _1987X.pdf

Thanks!
Since this mod effects only one of the channels, most probably it's the bright channel again. I wonder how much different it is compared to the 2 other Plexi types without the bright engaged.

The 1987x is a 50watt, compared to the 100watt Plexis which I believe both other models are. They sound quite different.

BMI is correct about the mod, it also changes the gain a bit, in that you have more control over it instead of full or nothing IIRC.

Not sure any one is interested but I messed around with the 1987 and now it sounds "right" for my applications...
Here's the preset...
http://files.me.com/degenaro/j70xm1

I don't remember what I have in the user slots...some kinda greenbacks...

Initially I did not like the bottom end...so low pass and different tone stack plus bright switch on, snipping the bright cap...Heresy! :)

Ed DeGenaro said:
Not sure any one is interested but I messed around with the 1987 and now it sounds "right" for my applications...
Here's the preset...
http://files.me.com/degenaro/j70xm1

I don't remember what I have in the user slots...some kinda greenbacks...

Initially I did not like the bottom end...so low pass and different tone stack plus bright switch on, snipping the bright cap...Heresy! :)

Did a test run of your patch with stock greenies. Good stuff.
I guess you meant lowcut. 75Hz is quite low comapred to the stock BE and HBE 550Hz. I still can't decide whether I like this amp model or not. :D
Did you tried messing with the HF Resonance? Turning it down from factory default 5 helped me a lot with highs.

Snipping the brigth cap is not an heresy, the first Marshall didn't have any bright cap (then really low 250pf). For me Marshall added the brigth cap to get the crunch sooner.
The brigth cap is 4700pf so you can add it and check by yourself.
Set the master to the max because it's not a master volume amp and you will get all what you need.
IMO and because i think that the other plexis have not been tweaked, this is the best plexi model in the Axe.

I'm having some trouble dialing this amp in to sound good. Can someone recommend me some settings? It seems I have to crank the master and gain all the way up to get decent amount of distortion and it is flubby as all "WATCH yo mouth"....

MusicManJP6 said:
I'm having some trouble dialing this amp in to sound good. Can someone recommend me some settings? It seems I have to crank the master and gain all the way up to get decent amount of distortion and it is flubby as all "WATCH yo mouth"....

Yup, that's how it is supposed to work. Remember, this is a (reissue of a) vintage amp without a Master Volume. So the only way to get tube distortion was and is to turn up the volume.

Translated to the Axe: crank the Master and uise Drive to dial in the amount of desired distortion. I have Drive at 3 o'clock.

High Master and Drive values can result in a flubby bass indeed. Especially with humbuckers.
Which can be cured by less Bass (try 10 o'clock), or turning up Low Cut in the Advanced parameters, or by using Cliff's "tight bottom end" trick (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10796&hilit=filter+envelope).

MusicManJP6 said:

I found the same thing that you did. I want the 1987x to work for me, but it has a bassiness that can't be dialed out, even with a filter. I long for something in-between the Plexi 1 and 1987x. I little "kerrang" with a tighter, less prominent bass footprint. I think that's why I don't like the JTM45. After a lot of playing with real tube amps (albeit not heads and 4x12s) plus the AxeFX models, I've discovered I don't like a real thick bass sound for my guitar. Leave that to the bassist! I like the more classic (or so I thought) Marshall mid-range sound with tight and even bass. The Plexi 1 has smoother bass content although it doesn't dial in quite the way I want it. It's still a little too gainy getting it closer to the JCM800. I went back to this model though for my Plexi patch because of my issues getting a sound I like out of the 1987x. AFAIK, that's how a 1987x sounds!

mtmartin71 said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I found the same thing that you did. I want the 1987x to work for me, but it has a bassiness that can't be dialed out, even with a filter. I long for something in-between the Plexi 1 and 1987x. I little "kerrang" with a tighter, less prominent bass footprint. I think that's why I don't like the JTM45. After a lot of playing with real tube amps (albeit not heads and 4x12s) plus the AxeFX models, I've discovered I don't like a real thick bass sound for my guitar. Leave that to the bassist! I like the more classic (or so I thought) Marshall mid-range sound with tight and even bass. The Plexi 1 has smoother bass content although it doesn't dial in quite the way I want it. It's still a little too gainy getting it closer to the JCM800. I went back to this model though for my Plexi patch because of my issues getting a sound I like out of the 1987x. AFAIK, that's how a 1987x sounds!

Plexi 2?

javajunkie said:
mtmartin71 said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Plexi 2?

Good idea. I need to try that one out in detail (not just in passing).

Here's something I did to get a good tone. I raised the low-cut freq to 122.1 Hz and dropped the bright cap down to 0.100 nF. To me this got me a tone very similiar to "Tush" by ZZ Top and maybe alittle of "Over The Hills And Far Away".

Back
Top Bottom