What’s your choice of Amp model(s) with best “feel under the fingers” ?

love the tucana model. to me it feels like dumble meets IIc+. really unique and very versatile. also triptik modern is the one that caught me already while owning ax8.
I should revisit those models.
Something tells me they are made for super loud playing.

I agree. Mesa Mark happiness without worrying about the 5 band EQ.

About loudness, I don't know, but when the MV is subtle (about 2.5 - 3), the amp seems to act much more modern.

I can get down with all of them in some way.
USA Clean and Band Commander along w the Triple Crown, Revv, Friedman HBE and the Matchless are the usual amps though.
u have nice taste that I can relate to, that’s for sure, however, friedmans are a bit of dissapointment for me in fractal land, even though they are one of my favourite real amps feel-wise.

I agree. Mesa Mark happiness without worrying about the 5 band EQ.

About loudness, I don't know, but when the MV is subtle (about 2.5 - 3), the amp seems to act much more modern.
I mean it has that smoothness about it, that should work with crushingly loud drummer.
I’ll try this on next rehearsal and raise output to compensate.
really curious about it, as c++ has been my go to for years.

to me it's the 1968 plexi. In the Axe FX I try to emulate that by increasing sag, using a hot bias of 66%, variac down to 80% and using some gain enhancer of 2-3

it's juicy, spongy and elastic

kick it with a klon and drench it in some 2290 delay and it's a lot of fun

Attachments

• Marshall PLEXI 100w.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
to me it's the 1968 plexi. In the Axe FX I try to emulate that by increasing sag, using a hot bias of 66%, variac down to 80% and using some gain enhancer of 2-3

it's juicy, spongy and elastic

kick it with a klon and drench it in some 2290 delay and it's a lot of fun
I love that you guys are sharing your presets. I´m looking forward to try that.
What geetar are u using with this ?

There are many IMO but currently I'm loving my neck pickup lead tones with the Splawn (OD1). The irony is that as a brief Quick Rod owner many years back, I never quite loved the amp for lead playing, it was just too stiff and not "touchy" enough for soloing, at least where you could "feel" the notes well enough, killer for tight, dry, crunchy rhythm work but heh sounding/feeling for leads (IMO)...yet the modeled version in the Axe III is soooo much better at that (?), go figure lol.

There are many IMO but currently I'm loving my neck pickup lead tones with the Splawn (OD1). The irony is that as a brief Quick Rod owner many years back, I never quite loved the amp for lead playing, it was just too stiff and not "touchy" enough for soloing, at least where you could "feel" the notes well enough, killer for tight, dry, crunchy rhythm work but heh sounding/feeling for leads (IMO)...yet the modeled version in the Axe III is soooo much better at that (?), go figure lol.
maybe that´s because axe models are always more compressed compared to the real amps.
This is pretty typical behavior, when I was comparing tons of real amps against models.

Last edited:
love the tucana model. to me it feels like dumble meets IIc+. really unique and very versatile. also triptik modern is the one that caught me already while owning ax8.

Interesting...I can see that.

I don't remember why I tried it the first time....either something @2112 said in a video or just randomly trying amps. But, I do remember looking it up in Yek's guide and seeing Yek quoting Cliff:

“One of the best amps in the world IMO. I have a Dumble and a Trainwreck and various other boutique amps and the Tucana is better than all of them."

l still like the high-power twin better (it seems to do ALL of the tweed fender and vintage marshall things without some of the "artifacts" Marshalls get when you run them too flat out), but....the Tucana is fantastic.

Makes sense....modern amps don't really use the power amp for distortion/compression the way old ones did. I'm convinced that's a good bit of "modern" vs "vintage".

maybe that´s because axe models are always more compressed compared to the real amps.
This is pretty typical behavior, when I was comparing tons of real amps agains models.

Hmm...I've never really noticed that. I definitely haven't noticed it in the comparisons Cliff has posted, and I haven't noticed it when I've gotten to play it next to a real amp (most recently brit silver vs a just-serviced 1987 Silver Jubilee). They didn't sound identical (which could easily be the IR vs the cab), but the model didn't strike me as being overly compressed.

Hmm...I've never really noticed that. I definitely haven't noticed it in the comparisons Cliff has posted, and I haven't noticed it when I've gotten to play it next to a real amp (most recently brit silver vs a just-serviced 1987 Silver Jubilee). They didn't sound identical (which could easily be the IR vs the cab), but the model didn't strike me as being overly compressed.

Not overly compressed, but IME, models are always bit more compressed. I compared maybe 20 different amps with models.
I had let´s say friedman be 100 with master volume barely open, then I loaded friedman model set the same way, with master volume to 0.25 or so and dialed to same volume with db meter.

Back
Top Bottom