whammy help

finstah

been away for a while and my rig has gone under some major changes. So I'm trying to set things up again and upgraded my firmware from 4.18 to 6.
06 (Yes, I'm happy with this version.) but my whammy is all out of whack now. nyuk nyuk.

I read after searching that scarr recommended adding some damping. Here are my settings:

source: extrn 1
start: 0
mid: 50
end: 100
slope: 50
scale: 100
offset: 50
damping: 16ms -35ms
autoeng: off

Unfortunately it sounds a bit 'warped' for lack of a better term.

Since it's been close to 7 months since I've had this dialed in and upgraded since then I have no idea how to get it the way I had it for Killing in the name of.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can look at?

finstah said:
been away for a while and my rig has gone under some major changes. So I'm trying to set things up again and upgraded my firmware from 4.18 to 6.
06 (Yes, I'm happy with this version.) but my whammy is all out of whack now. nyuk nyuk.

I read after searching that scarr recommended adding some damping. Here are my settings:

source: extrn 1
start: 0
mid: 50
end: 100
slope: 50
scale: 100
offset: 50
damping: 16ms -35ms
autoeng: off

Unfortunately it sounds a bit 'warped' for lack of a better term.

Since it's been close to 7 months since I've had this dialed in and upgraded since then I have no idea how to get it the way I had it for Killing in the name of.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can look at?

Turn the pitch tracking on.

Pitch effects have been majorly improved as of 8.06. I would seriously consider upgrading to the latest.

Pitch track is on already.

I saw something about poly in the thread I read. Pitch source maybe?

Dojo, leave me alone LOL. BTW, you hear about Jur at the Depot? Sad man.

It took me a few to dial in when I updated to 6. I want to enjoy it before I update again.

finstah said:
Pitch track is on already.

I saw something about poly in the thread I read. Pitch source maybe?

It took me a few to dial in when I updated to 6. I want to enjoy it before I update again.

If you want better pitch shifting upgrade to the latest. Poly local will not make a major difference unless you play more than one note or feed it back to itself. You can adjust the tracking to help.

finstah said:
Yes. I sent my condolences.

Keep up cause the firmware is about to update again! ;)

I'm using the Ad Whammy also. I agree with others on the Whammy IV....it is crap and I could not get rid of it fast enough (It is not as musical as the Whammy I). Is anyone having trouble with what I would call intermodulation or a "synth type" tone change with the Ad Whammy when it is engaged? I'm using pitch tracking and fine tuning the tracking but I still get a cheesy sounding / plastic effect. I am trying to go up 1 octave with EXT 1 like David Gilmour does in The Blue or Marooned. His tone is perfect and the shifts are so smooth and the tone and texture follow the shift. I have messed with the curves in the pedal I/O controls on the AXE to try to smooth it out (even tried the damping trick and putting a collar on the tone response) but I am getting no satisfaction. There must be a trick to where the effect is placed and what is placed in front of or after the Ad Whammy. If anyone has any answers or even thoughts, please share...compression? I do not want to burn $300 on a Whammy I just to shake the sound out. It might even help to know what the algo is in a Whammy I....who knows? Thanks.

onatonequest said:
I'm using the Ad Whammy also. I agree with others on the Whammy IV....it is crap and I could not get rid of it fast enough (It is not as musical as the Whammy I). Is anyone having trouble with what I would call intermodulation or a "synth type" tone change with the Ad Whammy when it is engaged? I'm using pitch tracking and fine tuning the tracking but I still get a cheesy sounding / plastic effect. I am trying to go up 1 octave with EXT 1 like David Gilmour does in The Blue or Marooned. His tone is perfect and the shifts are so smooth and the tone and texture follow the shift. I have messed with the curves in the pedal I/O controls on the AXE to try to smooth it out (even tried the damping trick and putting a collar on the tone response) but I am getting no satisfaction. There must be a trick to where the effect is placed and what is placed in front of or after the Ad Whammy. If anyone has any answers or even thoughts, please share...compression? I do not want to burn $300 on a Whammy I just to shake the sound out. It might even help to know what the algo is in a Whammy I....who knows? Thanks.

good luck on getting one for $300. You can try placing it between the amp and cab. That gives it a different flavor (I prefer it before the amp).

Here is a post and clip from scarr back on the 4.x software comparing the axe-fx whammy to a whammy I. This was a quick comparison design to stress the the pitch shifting. The Axe-fx's has improved a lot since then.

http://bitodd.com/temp/Ultra%20Whammy%20test.mp3
This isn't a terribly interesting recording outside of hearing the differences between the whammy types. Please accept my apologies, but I'm too tired right now to explain this much more than copying my recording notes over:

Les Paul w/Dream 180's BPU -> (WH-1 ->) Axe-Fx Ultra -> (via XLR's) Mackie 1402VLZ-Pro -> Delta 1010

Patch: #24 Dual Clean (everything after the cab model bypassed)

Order of whammies:
1) DigiTech WH-1
2) Ultra: Tracking On
3) Ultra: Tracking Off

The point is that as legendary as the Whammy I is, it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Even on single notes a simple octave there was a bit a glitchiness and at an octave, it sounds anything but natural (it sounds like a whammy). 1:10 to 1:30 shows the whammy I w/ normal shifting.

Question, any particular reason you are using the Advanced Whammy instead of the Classic.

Java,

it's funny you mentioned scarr and v 4.x. Granted I'm ony at 6.x but I had the best response with pitch as well as whammy with v 4.18 I believe. I'm going to try moving it before the amp and see what happens. Good suggestion.

finstah said:
Java,

it's funny you mentioned scarr and v 4.x. Granted I'm ony at 6.x but I had the best response with pitch as well as whammy with v 4.18 I believe. I'm going to try moving it before the amp and see what happens. Good suggestion.

The current pitch algorithm is closer to that than what you are currently using.

Back
Top Bottom