Well....work officially sucks again

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Guess that things are back to normal now. Thanks Fractal.

I had actually enjoyed going to work occasionally while I was on the waiting list. Not so much now. It's 1AM and I have to choose between sleep and playing. I figure that I can get by on a few hours of sleep tonight, but then I'll be tired after work tomorrow and that'll effect my playing. So if I stay up late tomorrow night as well I'll be a mess the rest of the week. I'll suck at work and then I'll be too tired to play (as if that was possible).

It shouldn't be this difficult.

Lottery tickets....that's the solution.

Lottery tickets are for fools... what you want to do is get your ass to Vegas and put ALL your money on RED. You can thank me later...

Shasha -- Are there no couches at your work? No quiet spaces far from the madding crowd?:)

TT
I can't walk 10 feet without having someone come to me for something and if I'm gone for 10 ninutes people start looking for me. To be perfectly frank I'd hate having it where no one cared if I showed up at all; at least this way I know I'm somewhat productive. I'd rather be busy than bored.

I can't walk 10 feet without having someone come to me for something and if I'm gone for 10 ninutes people start looking for me. To be perfectly frank I'd hate having it where no one cared if I showed up at all; at least this way I know I'm somewhat productive. I'd rather be busy than bored.

Definitely, as long as they let you out of the building on time so you can do something *really* important... like play on your AxeFX!

TT

Definitely, as long as they let you out of the building on time so you can do something *really* important... like play on your AxeFX!

TT
Barely escaped yesterday. :)

Not to get all personal in here, but I got frickin backstabbed horribly a few weeks ago. I won't get into all the details, but lets just say that I did more this last year than I've done in probably two years combined. I bailed these guys out when someone took another job on short notice and even while doing his job and my job I had another guy that had to go and have emergency back surgery so I ended up having to do his job. So lets just say that I'm pretty frickin' fried at this point. The 'higher ups' that I am working for are just thrilled. Well they get the replacement guy hired, I am down to just working two jobs now which is nice.

I didn't expect a parade or anything. But what I didn't expect was not only did I not get a thank you I ended up getting marked lower on my annual evaluation than the previous 7 years.

Now I can't sit here and swear that I didn't see it possibly coming because the guy who was rating me actually ended up working for me at one point because of all of this shuffling around. We had two small instances come up, one where I had get on him for doing something and one where he disagreed with a judgment call on my part that he was technically right about, but had been done a million times in the past. Neither instance was worth spending more than 2 seconds thinking about, but I think that it fueled something in him. Even worse is that I don't understand how someone can be responsible for evaluating you when he doesn't even see you for a month or more because we work in seperate areas.

The other thing here is that we're actually friends here so it was an even stranger situation. And no, it wasn't a bad evaluation or anything, but if someone was to look at my record they wouldn't see an above average rating (which is what it's called), but a guy who's regressed in his performance which is clearly not the case.

It won't hurt my career (even though technically it could), but that isn't the frickin' point. Its about respect and manners. I could live with the rating if I would have just gotten a pat on the back for half killing myself when things went bad and someone had to step in.

Which brings me back to yesterday at work; I got a draft for something big by the guy who got the new job. I started to give it a qucik look over for him (not my job at all) and it was a trainwreck. I mean it's embarassing and knowing the people we work for he would have been handed his ass for it. So I'm sitting there with a decision to make, I can go to lunch on Valentine's Day with my wife and just be an average dude or I can do the 'right thing' and skip lunch and work my ass off on this the rest of the day because it needs to be done....knowing full well that everything else I'm supposed to be doing will have to be done tomorrow as well.

So I burned the place to the ground.

And then when I snapped out of my little fantasy I ended up doing the stupid thing for him.

I won't get a thank you. I won't get a pat on the back. I probably won't even get a better rating next time around, but I realized that damn piece of paper with my 'grade' on there means a lot less than how I feel about myself at the end of the day. I could have really stuck it to them and let them see just how much I did and let the shit hit the fan. I really wanted to be that guy yesterday, but I caved.

I am looking for a new job though. :) I'll let the shit hit the fan when I'm not around to get any on me.

Back
Top Bottom