Welcome Phil Collen of Def Leppard to the Fractal Audio Artist Roster

This just in: singing like that is really hard on your voice.

Steve,

Actually singing like that is pretty easy on the voice...Singing the way he did on the original LP's back-in-the-day...Now THAT is HARD on one's voice - LOL!

...But I knew what you meant!

Bill

Congrats FAS and Phil.

To everyone else that had something negative to say, in a Fractal Artist welcoming thread, WTF?!?!?!
Keep you mouths shut in these threads if you don't have anything positive to add.
What if Matt emailed Phil about this thread, he then takes time out of his never ending
busy schedule to read that you are trash talking his singer in a guitar preamp/processor forum?
Have you no class? No respect? Regardless of how he sounds, you don't bash ANYONE in a welcoming thread.
This is not Harmony Central where you can act like a jackass. If you feel the need to bash, go else where.
Im pretty sure the admins and Fractal employees feel the same way.

Last edited:
Congrats FAS and Phil.

To everyone else that had something negative to say, in a Fractal Artist welcoming thread, WTF?!?!?!
Keep you mouths shut in these threads if you don't have anything positive to add.
What if Matt emailed Phil about this thread, he then takes time out of his never ending
busy schedule to read that you are trash talking his singer in a guitar preamp/processor forum?
Have you no class? No respect? Regardless of how he sounds, you don't bash ANYONE in a welcoming thread.
This is not Harmony Central where you can act like a jackass. If you feel the need to bash, go else where.

Vivian Campbell is soooooo much better than Phil Collen!! lol

Congrats FAS and Phil.

THIS!!!

Congrats FAS and Phil.

Funeral,

Not sure who your rant was directed at, but in defense of MY statement, I was defending Joe Elliot (indirectly) by explaining that the way he use to sing back in the 80's put a tremendous strain in his vocals/throat. I actually met Phil Collen (back in '02) and he was a super-cool guy whose style (IMO) has always fit the band very well. Also, his signature-guitar (I believe it's made by Jackson (but not sure?) is really nice! It looks cool AND it's got great features & tones IMO. His "sustainiac-mechanism" works incredibly well too!

Frankly, I think my statements were alot more "in defense of Def Leppard" in general to justify/explain how/why Joe Elliot's voice got a bit "beat-up" from many years of screaming in a high-register. BTW, I'd say the same things about: Brian Johnson (of AC~DC), Robert Plant (from Led Zeppelin) and many others....

What I felt was completely unnecessary here on the forums was the inevitable "Vivian Campbell is better than Phil Collen" crap. These two pros (Campbell & Collen) are perfect in their roles in Def Leppard. That whole "shred/penis-envy mentality" makes no sense! For example: If (hypothetically!) Guthrie Govan replaced Phil Collen next week in Def Leppard, THEN what would the Phil Collen-haters/Viv Campbell lovers say about Vivian Campbell's skills then? Furthermore, that still wouldn't prove anything anyways, because it is very possible that STYLISTICALLY, both Vivian Campbell and Phill Collen are better "Def Leppard guitarists" than Guthrie Govan?!? Seriously....Yes Guthrie would be impressive in any setting, but style-wise a band does NOT always need the most accomplished shredder as it's guitarist!

Phil Collen is a consummate-pro. He knows his role in Def Leppard and he does it well! ...And to Vivian Campbell's credit, he seems to have adjusted his style to more appropriately fit the straight-ahead rock stylings of Def Leppard! Good on BOTH of them (Collen & Campbell) for being the best Def Leppard guitarists!

Sorry if I offended anyone, but again it was more in the spirit of defending the toll that a screaming-rock vocal style can/will take on one's vocals/throat!

Rock on Def Leppard!

And congratulations Phil Collen! Keep on rocking-out!

~Bill~

Last edited:
I watched a recent rig review with Phil Collen and saw him using JMP-1 for his main tone. I believe he was plugged in direct to the sound system. He said that has been the staple of their live sound for many years. From the sound of it, I inferred that Vivian Campbell was also using a similar rig. Glad to see them, and so many others of my childhood idols, embracing the Fractal. I have always thought highly of Phil's playing, and the guitar solo from StageFright is still beyond me. As for Mr. Campbell, his solo in Dio's Hungry for Heaven is one of my all time favorites. I was just starting to commit to guitar when I heard Pyromania and then Hungry for Heaven, and it gave me the excitement and enthusiasm I needed to forge ahead. On another note, anyone being negative or derogatory about Phil Collen should be mindful that he plays his rock guitar, strung with 13's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The strings on my Takamine acoustic are 12's. I would shatter the bones in my fingers and cut through tendons if I attempted minor 3rd string bends on a set of 13's during a rock guitar solo. Kudos Mr. Collen, kudos!!! Welcome to Fractal.

As for anyone in this forum who has been negative about any new artist welcome page, and especially to Phil Collen, I would challenge you to take his world wide album sales, divide them by 500,000 and then subtract your own world wide album sales, and then send $1,000 for every one of his sales that are still above your own, to a charity of your choice. That should solidify in your mind and help to reaffirm his abilities as a player, writer, arranger, and producer, compared to your own.

I am happy for Viv Campbell making some good Leppard money, but what a waste of an amazing guitar player. I understand why he must backup Phil Collen in Leppard but Viv is soooooooo much better!!

Congrats on Phil using the Axe-II, and it would be really great if he shared some of those Leppard presets.

High n Dry with Pete Willis & Steve Clarke is still by far my favorite by them but I appreciate some of the more polished hits also

Thats it insult him then ask him for some presets

Welcome Phil and congrats to FAS

Removed post. It was improper. Matt had stated that the presets of the artists are private. I'll just state that I always loved the tone Phil Collen got and would be thrilled if he would be willing to share his patches like Steve stevens did!

Last edited:
I think Phil coming over to Fractal is awesome! I've loved his playing since I was in Jr High and Pyromania came out, and he has been a Jackson guitars guy since Hysteria, which is my axe of choice! I think Fractal fits his style, and it will serve him well live & in the studio!! Better than the Marshall JMP-1 and MUCH BETTER than the old days, with the Rockman in the studio on some of those Hysteria tracks!! haha

WELCOME TO THE FRACTAL FAMILY PHIL!! VERY COOL INDEED!! CONGRATS TO THE FRACTAL TEAM AS WELL!!

Back
Top Bottom