Weird Metallic Sound - FBT Verve 12ma issue?

BBN said:
I hear nothing even close to the sound that you guys are describing coming from my 12ma.
If someone wants to email me a patch, I'll load it and try it on my 12ma.
(blindbynoon@comcast.net)

Also, the hole in the front of the 12ma is a bass port....yes it's supposed to be there.

And to the person who noticed that this was the first negative posting about a 12ma, that was a good observation...and another factor I used when choosing the 12ma. If you scan this forum you will see many other FRFR cabs that have a variety of reported issues which seem to be a result of poor QC. This is the first issue I've seen reported on a Verve.

There was one other issue regarding the Speakon jacks that were braking but that was it.

I'm having the same problem too, I'm on my second unit. The first one showed this buzz when it was brand new so I returned and exchanged it. The second one just started doing this (it's been a year since I got it). Please keep us posted, and I will do the same.

Update: my FBT is really broken. Sounds terrible, like the cone has come loose. %##%%^
I have a gig this weekend...

Don't know. At rehearsal last week things didn't sound right. It wasn't clear to me if it was the FBT or something else.
I tested again yesterday and it's clear that there's something very wrong with the speaker. Looking into repair possibilities now.

Looking into getting a QSC K12 now.

yek said:
Don't know. At rehearsal last week things didn't sound right. It wasn't clear to me if it was the FBT or something else.
I tested again yesterday and it's clear that there's something very wrong with the speaker. Looking into repair possibilities now.

What about some of the other offerings on that side of the planet... DB, LD systems and I think I read a good review of the Yamaha DSR series as well ?.

Sixstring said:
yek said:

What about some of the other offerings on that side of the planet... DB, LD systems and I think I read a good review of the Yamaha DSR series as well ?.

I like to play on safe, seen enough positive reviews of this cab. And I like its power, front LED and I/O possibilities. More multifunctional than the 12ma. It'll be delivered tomorrow. I'll have the 12ma repaired, I may keep it, or not. :)

I sent my FBT in for repair. The repair place is only in Connecticut and I'm in New York, so it wasn't too big of a deal or an expense. I'll report back once it returns. I hope this fixes the problem!

Hope you get if fixed. Mine is on its way to the shop for repair.

I already layed my hands on a QSC K12. I have a gig tonight so let's see how it performs. I already love its I/O features.

OT update:
Used the K12 yesterday at a bar gig. No PA, K12 used as backline amp. It performed very well. It was placed vertically and because I stood close to it, I missed the top end myself but it was fine where the audience was. I really like the extensive I/O (two channels, various input connections, link) and EQ features as I mentioned already. It's also less harsh than the 12ma.

yek said:
OT update:
Used the K12 yesterday at a bar gig. No PA, K12 used as backline amp. It performed very well. It was placed vertically and because I stood close to it, I missed the top end myself but it was fine where the audience was. I really like the extensive I/O (two channels, various input connections, link) and EQ features as I mentioned already. It's also less harsh than the 12ma.

Interesting... so you didn't hear any of the plasticky tone that the enclosure offers?

Sixstring said:
yek said:
OT update:

Interesting... so you didn't hear any of the plasticky tone that the enclosure offers?

Maybe a little at first, at low volume. I turned it up and I didn't notice it anymore during the gig. Also, not a hint of 'plastic' on the room recording (Edirol, on stage).
Maybe I'll do a direct comparison after getting the 12ma back.

yek said:
Sixstring said:
yek said:
OT update:

Maybe a little at first, at low volume. I turned it up and I didn't notice it anymore during the gig. Also, not a hint of 'plastic' on the room recording (Edirol, on stage).
Maybe I'll do a direct comparison after getting the 12ma back.

Interesting... I know that some have mentioned hearing it I was just wondering how prominent it really is.

Just an update. FBT has my Verve and they should be taking a look at it in the next couple of days, at which point, I'll have somewhat of a better sense of if there is/was actually something wrong with my particular Verve, or if it is functioning properly and thus it's a more inherent issue in the FBT, or with the way I'm programming the Axe or something. I'll post again once I know more.

Glad your K12 is working out for you, Yek.

In case anyone is interested, my Verve was indeed not functioning properly as well. I sent it in for repair and was told the HF Diaphragm was busted. So they're fixing it and shipping it back to me. I'm hoping it will now be all I intended it to be in the first place. Time will tell.

But to be clear, the clips and what not I posted in this thread should not be held as representative of what a properly-functioning Verve sounds like, since mine was not functioning properly.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, my Verve was indeed busted as well. I sent it in for repair and was told the HF Diaphragm was busted. So they're fixing it and ($100 later) shipping it back to me. I'm hoping it will now be all I intended it to be in the first place. Time will tell.

But to be clear, the clips and what not I posted in this thread should not be held as representative of what a properly-functioning Verve sounds like, since mine was not functioning properly.

Interesting thread indeed. I noticed something sounded strange on my FBT yesterday, nasty upper mids or something. I had a play and managed to dial most of it out with a peaking filter at 700hz but it didn't sound like it used to. The same is not heard when I play through either of my pairs of studio monitors. I'm wondering if there is indeed a problem with it.

I might contact FBT and see what they say.

Thanks for the info, Spence

Back
Top Bottom