weird guitar issue, any ideas?

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
While playing my Tele, I am experiencing a sudden loss in all high end. It's like I'm rolling off the tone control completely without touching the knob. There's no rhyme or reason, it just happens then changes when it feels like it. It does seem that the base tone isn't what it used to be as well...but nothing like when this happens.It's been my workhorse for yours and haven't had a moments issue before now....anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm baffled....

looked inside yet? bad solder or pot? One of my CLR's cut in and out on me on NY eve, its open and find the culprit time

Yup, it's open-and-inspect time. Make sure the connections are solid, and there's not something shorting against something else—grounds and cavity shielding included.

I'd say selector switch or potentiometers. If you use them frequently, changing them after some years won't hurt.

I keep a can of DeoXit handy and spray the Electronics inside my Guitars from time to time. It always clears up any Scratchy or Intermittent problems on Pots or Switches...
I had a similar issue with my SG (I know, not a Fender) last week so I removed the back plate and carefully examined the wiring. I didn’t find anything with a visional examination but the problem was gone when I replaced the plate and tested it. DeoXit sounds like a good preventative product - thanks for mentioning it, Rain.

check the wiring to the input as well. had this issue with a Les Paul and it turned out one of the legs on the input jack was touching the shielding paint in the cavity and causing the problem.

I would open and check connections; if everything is ok then a deoxit spray can help. Unfortunately, even if we keep our axes in the best way, dust and moisture are all around.

Back
Top Bottom