Weird FCB1010 Problem

tfodor

Inspired
Hey Fellas.

I've been using an FCB for a few years to run a bunch of different stuff. First it was a pod, then a gmajor, now an Axe II.

I got the Uno chip in there, and have tried walking through the manual to activate stompbox mode. However, a few really weird things are happening. MIDI is a pain to troubleshoot so I'm going to be overly detailed here.

EDIT: Noticing this potential bug now I think. After I scroll into a preset, my MIDI in port blinks and goes to the edit window of my compressor... However I don't have any MIDI cables connected and it still says MIDI in.

Whether I have stombox mode on or off, this happens:

-I press any preset, the preset loads, then in a second my Axe II display screen switches to the compressor(?) This tells me that my pedal 1 is sending data of some sort when I select a PC.

When I activate stombox for the top row:
-I press preset 1? It goes from 1, to 96,97,98 very quickly, and stays on that. The same thing happens with the next 3 presets, replacing 1 with the preset number.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Travis

Last edited:
First thing I'd do is get it hooked up to your computer and setup a MIDI watch window and see what is getting sent down the MIDI pipe. I recommend the FCB Control Center. By far the best editor I've found for the FCB.

Tell us a little more about your setup. Do you have the Axe USB plugged into the computer and Axe-Edit running? Are there any other MIDI devices in your chain? If so, what order?

Yeah. Stuff is going wrong!

Kidding.

Did the trouble start after replacing the chip with the UnO? Stuff could get scrambled from that. The FCB needs to be completely reset and recalibrated and reprogrammed to do what you want them. Check out Voes's files on the FCB. They are clearer than Behringer or Xavier's.

You can be pretty certain the FCB is doing exactly what is prescribed in its programming. If it is in stompbox mode it will send the status of each stomp and the other CC switches it contains after every PC. There are 7 CC messages in each preset. If some are misprogrammed to perform PCs instead of CCS, that could explain stuff.

Do the factory reset and the calibration. Check what it is sending on pressing pedals by connecting it to a MIDI interface to a PC and watching the input in Bome's SendSX. I like the Ripwerx editor but some seem to have trouble getting it to work. Ripwerx has a window where it translates the MIDI the FCB is sending into more legible commands. But MIDI isn't rocket science, anything that displays it will do.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I've hit a bit of a wall. I downloaded the free version of ControlCenter, as well as Ripwerx but it looks like the problem has sidetracked.

I got the controller to be read in Control Center for MIDI mirroring, but when I try to get my controller read in Ripwerx, it doesn't work.

I think the problem is how my Saffire Pro 24 is set up in the MIDI settings in the mac. The Port on my interface is called "MIDI" and has 1 in and 1 out, obviously. However, when I load the MIDI settings in ControlCenter it gives me the option for Midi In and Out (thus working) but when I try to select my MIDI In/Out in Ripwerx, I can only choose from the bus in the mac and "MIDI." When I select "MIDI" for both my in and my out, it doesn't read my FCB...

Sorry for getting sidetracked here.

EDIT: seems like I have to fix some Java stuff with a MIDI extension..Will post back!

Thanks again guys

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, so I have a feeling its a fricken Mavericks problem. I have the latest version of Ripwerx, and thought I might have needed this Java MIDI helper guy but turns out it's only for snow leopard or something, and bricked my Ripwerx. So basically, completely ignore this and my previous edit. I still can't get my controller recognized in Ripwerx, but I can mirror in ControlCenter

Last edited:
first, reset the FCB, i first had problem with that when i change the chip, then, go one step at the time when programming the FCB.
disable all stupid switch and go strait into the axe, use it as a midi interface, works fine for me.

Hey Guys,

So I cracked and purchased FCB Control Center. I'm doing some pretty crazy stuff with it now, but I am still bitter that I couldn't get her to work manually!

Cheers!

TF

Back
Top Bottom