Weird Ducking/Compression/Gating going on... Please HELP

cbaseford

I posted this in response to a previous thread, but didn't get any suggestions on what's going on. I'm hoping this problem isn't simply part of the AxeFx modeling process/engine and has a solution.

View attachment Marshall AFD100.syx

This is the preset file that I used for the following:

Notice how the noise floor (hiss and hum) sounds like it's getting compressed or ducked when the low note is played and also how the high note disappears and then fades back in when the palm-muted note is hit. It almost sounds like there is a noise suppressor turned on, but I turned the gate off and don't have anything else inline.

Again, I'm not sure if this is something that is set wrong on the unit (it happens with many other presets) or if this is just the way it is. I've never experienced this drastic effect on a real amp, even with loads more low end and higher gain setups. This same sound applies to loud low notes completely "ducking" higher pitched notes within riffs and/or chords. This sound file was recorded directly from the AxeFx into my ProTools HD interface (no fx, eq, compression, etc.)... I get the exact same sound from the headphones when bypassing the ProTools rig as well.

Any insight would be highly appreciated!

C.

Patch works fine here. Are you using Axe-Edit? If so, try creating from scratch via front panel.

Patch works fine here. Are you using Axe-Edit? If so, try creating from scratch via front panel.

This same thing is happening throughout many patches... I almost exclusively use Axe-Edit... is there something specific I should be looking for (parameter, etc.) that would be causing this?

One other question that might be related... is it normal for the input to be set below 20%? And what should the global settings (input, etc.) be set to if I'm only ever using the input on the front panel (stereo out XLR on back)?

I'm really hoping I can solve this issue... I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of this thing's capabilities, yet I can't get a semi high-gain sound that compares to any of my real amps yet :(

Thanks for the help and the quick response, I look forward to your next reply.

C.

Try creating a preset from scratch using the front panel. Start with a blank preset. That preset sounds great here. Nothing like your clip.

The input is set at 50% at the factory. You should adjust it so that the red LEDs just come on when you strum hard.

Try creating a preset from scratch using the front panel. Start with a blank preset. That preset sounds great here. Nothing like your clip.

The input is set at 50% at the factory. You should adjust it so that the red LEDs just come on when you strum hard.

Thanks. I'll try rebuilding it. If Axe-Edit ends up being the problem, I may have to rebuild 80+ patches this way???

As for the input, I mainly use guitars with EMG-81's, 85's, Duncan JB, Jazz, Gibson Burst-Buckers, etc. and have never had the input set above 20% without it clipping... is that normal???

C.

What is clipping? If the clipping LEDs are coming on you need to reduce the level of the preset.

What is clipping? If the clipping LEDs are coming on you need to reduce the level of the preset.

Sorry for the wrong jargon... too used to every red light meaning "clip". What I meant was in order to only "tickle the red" on the input meters... I'm usually under 20% for my guitars. Wanted to know if this is normal. My audio engineering brain is telling me this is very low.

Also, although I don't use the unit in a live scenario... how is a live guitarist who switches guitars every song supposed to deal with the vast range of input percentage?

C.

20% is low but if your guitar has hot pickups, close to the strings, thick strings, aggressive right hand, etc. this may be normal.

Always adjust the input trim to the hottest guitar that you will be using. See the manual for details.

20% is low but if your guitar has hot pickups, close to the strings, thick strings, aggressive right hand, etc. this may be normal.

Always adjust the input trim to the hottest guitar that you will be using. See the manual for details.

That's what I figured. Thanks again for the help.

Other than updating firmware and doing the "reset" in the utility menu, is there any other way to "RESET" the unit to completely factory fresh condition? I want to start fresh with this thing in order to rule out any "wrong" settings or a faulty software/firmware install!

Back
Top Bottom