Wish We have Tone Match. How about Room Match? (Automated pink noise room tuning)

Megahertzz

Inspired
We already have pink noise in the synth block, we have a real time frequency monitor, we have a global EQ, and we have a tone matching feature that I think works with kinda the same EQ tweaks as what I'm suggesting here. Having a quick and easy way to set the global EQ according to room characteristics could IMO be a huge help when tweaking your presets for the venue you're playing.

If we're using tone match as a reference for how I imagine this could be achieved, I'm thinking it goes something like this:
1: Connect a reference mic to you Axe input, place the mic in the middle of the room.
2: On the Axe display, find the Room Match menu, activate Room Match.
3 Pink noise is played on whatever speakers are bringing your guitar sound out in the room, the mic records the noise, and the Axe automatically works to flatten the EQ curve of the pink noise coming out of the speakers, by adjusting the global EQ.
4: If necessary, manual tweaking can be done after the initial automated adjustments.
5: Room settings can be saved for later.

For all I know this can already be done by tone matching pink noise, but i think a feature tailored for this could be helpful, and I do think it is within the capabilities of the Axe FX III

Brilliant idea. I never treat my rooms or have my TVs set up professionally for color and all that, but this sounds easy enough that I'd do it for sure. Might be a cool idea for gigs as well; something that could be run for like 10 seconds and would automatically compensate for the FM phenomenon. But maybe that's a bit too much... In any case, +1.

You would need an external mic preamp as the Axe doesn't have one but otherwise I think the feature is a great idea!

While this is unlikely to work for gigs because an empty room during rehearsal vs packed room with people is a whole different thing, it would be great for room correction for home, studio, rehearsal space and possibly getting those gig spaces a bit better as a starting point.

It would help if Axe-FX had some kind of true global blocks, i.e. blocks that are independent of presets at all. An IR player would work fine for room adjustments even if the IR is done somehow with external tools.

But as it is now, there's no way to have that. There are Output EQs but no presets for those, you can't save settings.

It would help if Axe-FX had some kind of true global blocks, i.e. blocks that are independent of presets at all. An IR player would work fine for room adjustments even if the IR is done somehow with external tools.

But as it is now, there's no way to have that. There are Output EQs but no presets for those, you can't save settings.
Perhaps the global EQ functions could be expanded to include more live performance-related utilities.

I asked in earnest because I really have no idea !
The sound guys at my town's best venue tune the room when there's a new mixer or speakers installed. It's not very often, but it definitely has a purpose. I was there for a seminar with a producer and a musician for a well known Norwegian artist, and they demonstrated pink noise tuning on the PA. Could definitely hear a difference, but of course the room will have different audio qualities depending on how packed it is with people.

As. Far as the room or studio is concerned you can simply get sonarworks and mic to correct the room, and use the correction from it as an ir by deconvolving it and place it at the end of the signal chain on the axe fx.
This is what i do right now.
I wish global eq can load ir’s, that would set the thing in stone instead of having to add in every preset.

Room correction and measurement is a different domain than what fractal is currently aiming.

Morever its not just pink noise, but building a representative image around (and at ) the listening spot and the coloration, latency/time difference between l/r monitors that matters.

And there are many companies like sonarwork, trinnov, arc etc who focus on this.

I think it would be best if axe lets us set IR’s as global eq.

For live its a really complex situation i guess due to the variables.
But yeah i guess no harm if this pink noise thing yiu suggest is possible only issue being we would need a calibrated mic as well as a mic preamp.

Last edited:
Autocorrection doesn't really work unless you sample the room in the exact same location and position from which you are always listening. Even then the EQ is only correct for that one listening location. As you move around an untreated room, things can sound drastically different.

How do you export a Sonarworks profile and make an IR out of it?
Download voxengo deconvolver,

1)Generate a 3 second test file sine wave 48khz using Voxengo
2)In the daw run the 3 second sine wave in entirety, with sonar works correction plugin insert. ( Make sure listening spot is disabled, and you have chosen the right correction curve and calibration is enabled) and export it. as wav
3) In the deconvolver, choose the original sine wave generated in step 1 the test test tone , and the resultant wav file(from step 2) as the file below .
3) Choose your volume below and then hit process.
4)You will get a resultant _dc. wav file which you need to import as cab in cab manager axe edit and you can use it with cab block or ir player.

These steps work for me every single time, however for some users this has not worked i donot know why

Credits to DLC86 for sharing this trick with me earlier.

Did you get one mono IR or two IRs for each of the channels?
You will get one ir from voxengo.
But when you transfer it to axe it will become L and R separate
The sound jn my experience is identical to the daw plugin .

Have you tried it yet?

The listening spot enabled experiment gave me very roomy result, kind of like a full res ir .

Last edited:
Have you tried it yet?
No, I don't have a PC at hand (my laptop needs repair), and Voxengo Deconvolver and the other tool I have for creating IRs seem to be Windows only. Maybe I should fire up a virtual machine on Azure, but I feel a bit lazy for that.

Back
Top Bottom