way to record wet and dry tracks without USB?

erockomania

Experienced
Hi there, bout to start a session and never tried this... I can't seem to find a way. This session is at 44k so I can't make an aggregate device and use my FF and the Axe.

I want to plug my guitar into the axefx 2 and send one wet track and one dry track (output 1 and 2 respectively)... is that possible?

You need to place an Efx Loop on the grid parallel to the other effects. This will set up a dry mono signal outputting from output 2, if I'm recalling correctly. I added this to all of my patches.

Yes, I have that... thought it would work too... but I think something is routed wrong... I have the fx loop in the 3rd line down with no shunts to the end.

Does this not work on TMA patches maybe? I just realized it was a TMA patch. If it shouldn't matter can someone give me a step by step... there is something I am missing. I swear I've done everything I could. There must be one silly thing I'm forgetting.

Did you route a signal to the FXL block input?

Is there any activity for Out 2 L/R at the utility menu after doing that?

My front panel looks like this

Axefx2-FP.jpg

What should my outputs say? I have them on stereo. I have copy L to R to "NO".

Right now, but signals are distorted... exactly the same.

Stereo output setting is fine. That routing should send the clean unprocessed signal to Out 2. You'd see some activity on the Out 2 L/R meters (or L at least if using stereo In 1 mode) at the utility menu's meters page, unless the level was too low to register

With your last sentence do you mean you're getting a fully processed signal at Out 2? If so, check connections & setup (if monitoring through interface) to make sure you're really running from Out 2 and monitoring that signal.

Just a note,
It may not be relevant for you, but I have recorded 1 Clean signal + 2 processed (axefx) to a digi002.
Line6 G30 wireless out1 -> digi002 Mic1
Line6 G30 wireless out2 -> axefx input
axefx spdiff -> digi002 spdiff.

It could also have been:
Line6 wireless out1 -> digi002 Mic1
Line6 G30 wireless out2 -> axefx input
axefx Main left -> digi002 mic2
axefx Main Right -> digi002 mic3

instead of line6 out1/out2 some kind of a Y-split could be used.

I found this setup better than going though axefx, as gain on clean signal can be adjusted better for me than with the FXL block.

I have an Ultra so I can't tell from first hand experience. The way I do that is using a DI (into Input 1), and also taking the link out to the Axe fx instrument input and record Output 1 Left/Right on other balanced inputs of my audio interface. I have a FA-101 fyi. I'm sure that'd work just fine on the Axe Fx 2 as well.

I also use a Radial J48 DI in front of my Axe-FX II. I also send the DI to Input #1 on my audio interface. I send the balanced outputs of the Axe (OUT 1) into #9 and #10 of the audio interface. Works great!

Pete

I can't get this to work either. I have copy1->2 off. And I inserted an FXL connected to input in first row.

I also tested with copy1->copy 2 on and I never seem to get the output 2 level lights to come on. So something somewhere must have it off, but I have no idea what it is.

Output 2 volume is up on the front.

edit: I'm not using axe for an interface... The outputs are going into focusrite 18i6.

I have full output from out2 but it's the same as out1 with the above set (my prev post). What would have to be altered to get what I want? Right now I'm using a Buzz Audio MIA to do the dirty work, but I love a clean way of doing this that did't require the MIA.

Move your FXL block one step to the right, and shunt it down from the first block in row 2 to feed it from there (Remove the shunt feeding it from row 3 input)

|
|---AMP---CAB---etc
| \_FXL
|

Worth a shot, you never know where the problem might be :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom