Watch as this 14 yr. old girl effortlessly plays Eruption...!!

My 13 year old niece plays minecraft... and likes Justin Bieber... :sour: I feel I have failed the world a little.

Does saying that I'm not impressed make me an asshole?

no. but curious why it's not impressing to you? because others have done this before? because it shouldn't be difficult to someone just because they are young? no "it's a girl" so i'm impressed feelings?

personally i'm not "impressed" either, mostly because so what :) it's fast playing and highly documented and many lessons these days on how to play it and then it's just repeating muscle memory.

but i can't do that. so i'm more glad for her that she can play it than impressed :)

I guess it's because she hasn't studied the piece with any detail whatsoever. Had she taken the time and effort to learn the notes and phrasing, I might find it more interesting. Her technique is good enough to do it justice, but she hasn't done the mental homework (which in my opinion is the hard part). If she were a 30-year-old man, I would say this particular cover was terrible. The fact that she is 14 absolutely makes a difference, but I've seen clips of kids half her age displaying talent that gives me chills. And I've never held females to a lower standard than males. I'm sure she will continue to grow as a musician, and will hopefully discover more influences. She's off to a good start.

More importantly, I'm really glad that there are 14-year-olds out there who are listening to classic rock, let alone learning how to play it. The world needs more like her.

Last edited:
And I've seen kids build things in Minecraft that blew me away. Their creativity and execution is astonishing.
This. Be happy that your girl plays Minecraft. It's basicly LEGO without the constant foot injuries from stepping on razor-sharp stones on the floor.

Videos of teens and children playing guitar effortlessly always make me depressive. Not because I am jealous of their talent (maybe I am), but as it always reminds me how dumb I wasted my childhood.

OTOH I've recently read an article about why children are actually better shredders than adults. The reason is pretty logical when you think about it: adults have much higher strength in their fingers, but this strength is actually not beneficial for playing fast. Once you developed a certain amount of finger pressure, it's extremely hard to "let loose" again.

Last edited:
Today's 13 year old minecraft player is tomorrow's civil engineer.

True. Nothing against Minecraft. It's actually pretty addicting. I really just meant that she doesn't play guitar or any instrument. I really think all kids should be encouraged to learn music. Really valuable skills like coordination, timing, pattern recognition, improvisation, social and performance confidence, and more are learned. Plus there's the emotional and artistic outlet that it provides. Sadly, many schools have very limited budget for music programs.

The daughter of one of my wife's co-workers is in Austin School of Rock and we've gone to see them play a few times. It's really awesome to see those kids blossom onstage. At first they are all petrified to be onstage, but after a song or two they stop caring and just have fun. It's a riot to see some little kid that is dwarfed by the guitar bust out some awesome riffs.

Last edited:
Not Impressed for the same reasons mentioned. The other video's though I was way more impressed, now that is talent. The guitarist though meh

You guys kill me. It's NOT about being impressed. I will never understand this mindset. It's about-Cool 14 yrs old-that girl has some nice licks., etc, etc. She will most likely be very good as she matures. .

Yes the little Korean? kid playing the piano on Ellen is a genius-yes that impresses-I understand that.

Her version is impressive - her technique is very good.

There should be caveat on here:
If you want to say she's unimpressive then please post your video of you doing it with your comment so we can judge whether your opinion is relevant.

So someone has to be able to play something equally well in order to say whether he likes it or not?

I can't build a car but I don't like some. Or, wait I'm not allowed to have an opinion. This changes a lot!!!

Back
Top Bottom