Was the Fender TMP the impetus for Cliff producing gap-less switching?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Just curious. I have never minded a gap, but I know it has been mentioned for years. Just strange how it was released now, right after TMP released their gapless. Probably coincidence though.

You never know. But to stay on top you have to keep up. It’s a safe bet FAS is aware of what the competition is doing. Maybe you’re right. What I really want to know is will the gapless will roll down to the FM’s?

Reactions: rog
It's certainly not impossible, but I would think that type of programming takes longer than a week? Maybe the release was pushed up a bit, as Cliff mentioned there was no Private Beta for that firmware, the Public Beta right out.

If FAS wants to compete against the other modelers in this same class, the UI needs to be overhauled. I think many could live without a touchscreen, but the on-board UI lacks heavily compared to nearly every other modeler out there. I know this has been beaten to death, and it seems as if FAS has quadrupled down, but there's always an opportunity for change.

It's certainly not impossible, but I would think that type of programming takes longer than a week? Maybe the release was pushed up a bit, as Cliff mentioned there was no Private Beta for that firmware, the Public Beta right out.

If FAS wants to compete against the other modelers in this same class, the UI needs to be overhauled. I think many could live without a touchscreen, but the on-board UI lacks heavily compared to nearly every other modeler out there. I know this has been beaten to death, and it seems as if FAS has quadrupled down, but there's always an opportunity for change.

I agree that the Fractal UI on my AxeFx3 could be much better and other manufacturers have an advantage there.

I think that Fractal has MANY advantages over the current competition which make FAS products superior.

However, it is a marketing challenge to convey that value to new users who are no doubt quickly impressed with a slick UI.

If a slick touchscreen means a sacrifice in DSP, tone, features, or a big jump in price..

I'm a hell no

I would rather see a iOS app version of edit for the touchscreen that I already have.
I agree that a phone app would go a long way to mitigating the "I don't want to have to have a computer available in case I need to make last minute or sound check changes" argument. Not quite as convenient as a touchscreen on the product itself but who doesn't have their phone handy at a gig. Would be great if it could be a wireless (bluetooth) connection.

Android instead of iOS for me please.

I agree that a phone app would go a long way to mitigating the "I don't want to have to have a computer available in case I need to make last minute or sound check changes" argument. Not quite as convenient as a touchscreen on the product itself but who doesn't have their phone handy at a gig. Would be great if it could be a wireless (bluetooth) connection.

Android instead of iOS for me please.
I bought a small refurbished laptop just for this...it's not a perfect solution

Possibly. The world may never know.

Seems it’d be good business to keep a few big ideas in the works and under the radar for situations such as this. If Fractal didn’t shower us with regular updates and kept them locked behind “We’re waiting for someone else to make a move so we can trump it”, I may not feel the same way about it, but as much as this company does for it’s customers, I have zero, zilch, nada pushback to the idea of keeping things behind the curtain simply to maintain a competitive edge. It’s not like we lose out in any way whatsoever.

From my armchair perspective, I’d assume stuff like that is more of a thorn in Cliff’s side than any motivating tool. I’ve never gotten the idea his motivation is to move more units and the frequent updates and the “I know I can do this better” mentality seems to be the driving force. That’s why I never really bat an eye around anything financially related to Fractal, it’s just never seemed like the motivating drive behind the company.

...If FAS wants to compete against the other modelers in this same class...
I find it interesting how many people worry about how well Fractal Audio competes against other brands. In the ten or so years I've been a loyal Fractal customer, I've not seen any comment from Cliff regarding market share or growth. He's not trying to get his products on store shelves or in catalogs. Not every company wants to expand to be the next Apple. Maybe he's perfectly content and comfortable having a small company that makes a comfortable living for him and his employees while producing the best in products in their class? Based on recent comments from Cliff, it appears the company is growing at a pace that's comfortable for him.

Someone saying they want a touch screen (or Bluetooth or any other feature) is a valid request, but positioning the request as a "Fractal needs to do this to stay ahead of the competition" just reminds me of the patron at a gig who proclaims that you must play [insert artist name here] if you ever want to make it big in this town.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how many people worry about how well Fractal Audio competes against other brands. In the ten or so years I've been a loyal Fractal customer, I've not seen any comment from Cliff regarding market share or growth. He's not trying to get his products on store shelves or in catalogs. Not every company wants to expand to be the next Apple. Maybe he's perfectly content and comfortable having a small company that makes a comfortable living for him and his employees while producing the best in products in their class? Based on recent comments from Cliff, it appears the company is growing at a pace that's comfortable for him.

Someone saying they want a touch screen (or Bluetooth or any other feature) is a valid request, but positioning the request as a "Fractal needs to do this to stay ahead of the competition" just reminds me of the patron at a gig who proclaims that you must play [insert artist name here] if you ever want to make it big in this town.
^Yep^

I guess you could make a touchscreen work with an Axe FX, though it would need to be enlarged to six rack spaces to accommodate a screen big enough to comfortably deal with the number of parameters in most blocks. That, or run a standard size screen and have eight parameters per page, with 12 pages per block.

Nope, touchscreens are a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom