Warmth/Thump equivalent settings?

prometh

Power User
I always had Warmth:5 and Thump:5 set on a Recto Red amp on my Ultra. How can I achieve the same sound with the Axe-Fx II?

Also, would Sag:4 on the Ultra be the same on the II? I can't remember that subtle detail and I no longer have my Ultra.

Thanks!

I think I remember a post where Cliff said Warmth and Thump were removed because they were no longer needed.

If I were to try to replicate them, I'd start with the amp block's speaker resonance and transformer match.

That would give the thump. The warmth cliff indeed said was no longer needed. I thought I would miss it too, but I've forgotten all about it lol

I just tried Transformer Match and it didn't sound like the Thump from the Ultra. I guess I'll just have to wait for firmware v6 with the profiling (or whatever) stuff. It took me forever to find my tone on the Ultra..

Did you try the amp block's speaker resonance? That's supposed to get you there pretty quick...

Yeah, I played around with that and couldn't find my old sound. It's kinda there, but the oomph is misplaced. If not v6 firmware, then I'll have to put in the hours to pinpoint it.

Wouldn't happen to know the "Low Res Q" from the Standard/Ultra, would ya?

+1. Scott P. posted a very insightful thread, complete with video, on how to wake up your patches with speaker resonance tweaks. It's an excellent read. Here's some further explanation from him from deeper in the thread.

The Speaker Resonance tab to me in my words is the way to dial in the symbiotic relationship between the power amp (transformer/output tubes/rectifier) to the speaker/cab *and* vice versa. They are a system, not independent. Small changes to the resonance has the effect of dialing in the amp/cab as a system...You will learn very fast what works, how it works...

My process is like on the video... bump the low end HZ slightly, listening. When you hear it 'blow up' on the low end, back it down. Then turn the low end resonance up till it blows up again, then slightly back off. Then change the "Q" and balance between the level and the Q till it is fat, but tight. Then on the high end just turn the level up slightly, a bit at a time... it'll start to explode on the top end, back off slightly. Done. Mess with the middle by turning it up a touch at a time... often this gets left at zero in my world. **Added note: these changes are absolutely tiny, small increments. The key is to trust your ear. When it sounds like "too much" trust that instinct and back it down. You might only end up a few thousands of a value from stock; but it will be worth it's weight in gold... trust me...

That's really the whole story. Hope that helps. If you want more detail on something, just ask.

I did not own the Ultra/Standard so not sure exactly what the Warmth and Thump controls sounded like. But I tried Scott P's suggestions on mixing FF and NF cabs and found that to indeed get me closer to the low end sound and response of playing through an amp in a room. Seems to feel a little more like that low end thump and more immediate response I like, especially from a 4x12 cab. Just my thoughts... YMMV, etc.

Thump and Warmth were added to help improve the power amp modeling in the Std and Ultra. with the gen2 modeling and especially the detailed modeling of the power amp stage as it is now, there really shouldn't be any need for Warmth and Thump any longer, at least not in my case but YMMV...

Back
Top Bottom