Warmoth?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
What would be your next guitar for 1,5-2k budget?

I thought for the money i could go with Warmoth and have a fully custom guitar. My goal is versatility, with as little compromise as posible. So my idea is to make a Warmooth tele, HSH Joe Barden pickups with coil taps and a strat type CBS neck.
I would mostly play RnB funk stuff with this guitar, but i hope it could sound pretty denent in jazz gigs and also could rip a nice screaming distorted lead.
Do you think Warmoth is a good choice for a versatile guitar?

I'd pick up a used Suhr or Anderson for that price. You'll get a better piece of wood for the body and a better playing neck with all the same versatility. Guitars are a personal thing though so go with whatever is going to make you want to play! Good luck!

You could go with a Rasmus which is basically a Suhr with parts that are cut in China and assembled and QC'd in the US using Suhr electronics and get a Pleked neck. Not a bad deal for a new guitar in the price range your looking in.

Just wanted to add that Warmoth guitars are not to bad but you will probably need to have it setup by some that knows what there doing.

Ex Warmoth, Tommy Rosamund, owner of USA Custom Guitars would be the better choice. Unlike Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars prioritises quality before quantity. Talk to Tommy tell him what you want (sound wise, feel wise or whatever). Got me an absolute killer carved top Strat style, body mahogany with a 16mm curly maple top, ebony neck and one hell of a tone. Tommy’s’ necks are legendary. USA Custom Guitars - The finest custom replacement guitar parts available.
No, I’m not affiliated.

I'm not a fan of warmoth. I've played 3 custom builds and they all had neck issues. Two were hyper extended (bent backwards) and one was twisted. All 3 were made playable by an extremely good luthier (building/servicing guitars for 40 years), but afterwards he said "Those are the worst necks I've ever seen. They well never be stable." For what it's worth, they sure did play nice directly after he was done with them.

Suhr was my other choice. They are not cheap though. I was so gassing over Guthrie Govan signature, but 3500 eur is too much for me. I was looking at Rasmus version of Govan model on youtube, but that didn't convince me. Its a shame i live in the place where i cannot try any of these for myself, i have to rely on the specs and youtube demos which are often inaccurate.

Suhr was my other choice. They are not cheap though. I was so gassing over Guthrie Govan signature, but 3500 eur is too much for me. I was looking at Rasmus version of Govan model on youtube, but that didn't convince me. Its a shame i live in the place where i cannot try any of these for myself, i have to rely on the specs and youtube demos which are often inaccurate.
you could possibly contact Matts Music Center and send them a build sheet of the Suhr guitar with similar specs like the Govan and see how many dollars that is. It is possible that a guitar which is not his signature model and has the same specs could cost less,and Matts Music Center could simply ship it to you. Contact them and see what happens. They would give you a build sheet for the Suhr custom and you fill it out and email it back to them. Then see how much the cost is.

I've got both a GG Suhr and a GG Rasmus. I got the second one for traveling, pub gigs etc. It's a great guitar and terrific for the money. It's not (of course) quite as good as the real thing and I guess not having jumbo frets is what I miss most on that guitar. But it's a great instrument nonetheless.

I've got three Warmoths.
Two I had for about 20 years now.
They never needed any special setup.
Stable as anything. They were my main gigging guitars until I had a new Larkin made.
I did take them to a luthier to check just to make sure and he said they were fine.
I assembled one a few years back from a body and a neck that were in stock.
These are the old ones:
Warmoth%2520Soloist.JPG

Warmoth%2520Strat%2520Cherry%2520Sunburst.JPG

This is the most recent one:
Warmoth%2520Strat%2520Blackburst.jpg

pauliusmm said:

Suhr now has Moderns in the Pro Series which will save some money. I've never had a problem with a Warmoth, but if the price is close I'd go with the Suhr Pro Series.

Any new guitar will depreciate 30% the moment it is "used".

I prefer to purchase used USA made guitars from quality luthiers. If I don't bond with a piece, I can flip it easily for nearly what I paid. I view any losses as a rental fee for the ability to try it out for as long as I like, in the environments of my choosing.

Any new guitar will depreciate 30% the moment it is "used".

I prefer to purchase used USA made guitars from quality luthiers. If I don't bond with a piece, I can flip it easily for nearly what I paid. I view any losses as a rental fee for the ability to try it out for as long as I like, in the environments of my choosing.

I just finished my first Warmoth build this week... Total budget was around $1400 for my 'Blingcaster'... Plays and sounds great, however being a brand new build, there is still some ongoing setup tweaking to be done while things 'settle in' a bit...

7772996218_856f41df1d_z.jpg

7784662402_bb6e1d2212_z.jpg

I just finished my first Warmoth build this week... Total budget was around $1400 for my 'Blingcaster'... Plays and sounds great, however being a brand new build, there is still some ongoing setup tweaking to be done while things 'settle in' a bit...

7772996218_856f41df1d_z.jpg

7784662402_bb6e1d2212_z.jpg

Nice figuring on the neck!

Love my Warmoth's....built 4 over the years. Yes...they always need a tech to set up, level frets, file fret ends.....but it's worth it in the end and should be considered "part of the build".

Flame top has brass block, Bare Knuckle cold sweat pickups, original floyd, schaller tuners, mahogany body, pau ferro neck and board, stainless steel frets, and a ernie ball toggle switch.

EVH has a PRS Tremonti pickup, original floyd w/ brass block, schaller tuners, and a birdseye maple neck and board

Strat has a birdseye neck and board, Lace chrome dome pickups, and a fender/floyd locking bridge with sperzel tuners.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

evh001.jpg

Strat2.jpg

Last edited:

What youtube vid was it that didn't convince you about the Rasmus? there are a few some are good and some aren't.

Back
Top Bottom