Warmoth Necks - quality? baked?

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Does anyone have experience with Warmoth necks? And are they baking theirs yet?

I'd really like to build my own guitar (and I'm also curious about getting a shorter-scale strat replacement neck - I like Gibson scale more), but want a great neck that I don't need to get Plek'd. How is their fretting? How is their stability overtime?

Thanks.

All 3 of my electrics I built from Warmoth. I love them and the options and their website beat eveyone else. Some say use USAA....but I just don't think they have the options and again..warmoths website is awesome.

The frets are great from them(GO STAINLESS STEEL). But they will need a guitar tech's touch after you put guitar together. Minor leveling and a fret end dressing will be required. They aren't bad at all, but this will really make them extremely nice to play after.

I am actually making a list of parts for my next project guitar. Warmoth is great as mentioned.... I also like Musikraft. I am ordering a neck and body for a San Dimas project and will go with Musikraft.
I also agree....go with stainless frets. Last longer and feel great to me.

i got a short scale neck for a mexican strat i had a few years ago. the quality was excellent and it only needed a minor fret dress once fitted.

A Warmoth Strat is an above average Strat when you are done, for 150% of price of a USA Strat and half the resale value.

Let someone else take the $800 loss and buy used.

I am tempted to try Warmoth as well, but i'm not sure if its a good idea.
I have a Suhr GG that has a nice Mahogany nick, but i wish it had a maple neck. Would it be wise to try to fit a maple neck from warmoth and then maybe plek it?

Warmoth guitars don't resell for crap. But they offer you the ability to get EXACTLY what you want. I don't plan on ever selling them. They are like family.

I believe them, once pieced together and had a setup, to be much better than an American fender strat. IMO

Cost? I'd say you can build one for less than a fender and with better woods/options. But you can go nuts with options and then try get pricey. But less so than a fender custom. So id say overall they are less expensive.

A Warmoth Strat is an above average Strat when you are done, for 150% of price of a USA Strat and half the resale value.

Let someone else take the $800 loss and buy used.

Agreed- unless you're trying to put together something out of the norm, I would look for a used version of what ever you're wanting. Sounds like you may be looking for something out of the norm though. I've played some really nice Warmoth necks over the years, but also played some dogs. I think you get lucky or you don't with this stuff- even buying a higher end boutique make. But that also depends on how picky you are.

Bought 5 necks from warmoth and all were flawless and amazing. Agreed that you can get some sick deals on used warmoths on eBay.

To clarify, the "dogs" I mentioned refers more to how resonant or tone full the necks were. That's the part you get lucky with (or not) on most guitars- IMO. You can have a guitar with a perfect shape on the neck, perfect frets and nut, etc. but if it doesn't resonate or ring in the hand.. just doesn't do much for me. PRS come to my here- again, in my experience.

This is where I've struggled with buying parts (necks and bodies) for guitars.

Agreed. Finding exceptional pieces of wood to do the job you want can be a tough drawn out process. Never any issues with the Warmoth necks I've come across. Other than the usual fret level/recrown.

Warmoth%2520Soloist.JPG

Warmoth%2520Strat%2520Blackburst.jpg

Warmoth%2520Strat%2520Cherry%2520Sunburst.JPG

Three Warmoths, all brilliant players.
The blue Soloist and Cherry Sunburst Strat are the oldest (built in '93) and remain stable as hell, no need for any adjustment.
I love Warmoth.
The Black Strat has an unfinished Indian Rosewood neck with an ebony fretboard and plays like a dream.

I am tempted to try Warmoth as well, but i'm not sure if its a good idea.
I have a Suhr GG that has a nice Mahogany nick, but i wish it had a maple neck. Would it be wise to try to fit a maple neck from warmoth and then maybe plek it?

I recently had a 1986 BC Rich Mockingbird refretted with stainless steel frets and plekked. The intonation above the 12th fret was unusable and I think this prevented me from developing my greater than 12th fret skills when I was younger. Now it's like a new guitar; the intonation is spot on and the bends are silky smooth. I highly suggest this be done on a new build.

At this point, I am thinking of getting everything from Musikraft. They seem to have everything I want. I can get a high grade 2-piece roasted flame maple neck, with graphite reinforcement rods installed too! Gonna have to pay a pretty penny, but I am not looking to resale - I am more looking to settle down...

Same goes for the body - I can get the 2-piece body roasted with the woods I want (basswood - flame/birdseye maple laminate top). Warmoth provides a lot more hardware, but I feel I probably have a lot of the parts I want already lying around my house. Woods are more difficult to replace than hardware in the longterm.

I've owned a few warmoth necks and whilst the build quality and playability has been great they have all been dull and lifeless when it comes to sustain and resonance. I still have one with stainless frets but though it's lovely to play it just doesn't have the mojo the prs/suhr/Fender I own have

Does anyone have experience with Warmoth necks? And are they baking theirs yet?

I'd really like to build my own guitar (and I'm also curious about getting a shorter-scale strat replacement neck - I like Gibson scale more), but want a great neck that I don't need to get Plek'd. How is their fretting? How is their stability overtime?

Thanks.

About five years ago I got me a Strat-style, all ebony neck, SS fret wires (No.. it's absolutely not to bright) Warmoth truss rod (side adjusting). After setup I was amazed that the frets were good as is and I always go for a very low action on my guitars. Super articulate, sustain galore and excellent balance in the overall intonation. For being somewhat exotic the price of around 600$ was well worth it for me. This neck landed in a custom Strat-style body from USACG with a nice carved curly maple top on a one piece mahogany body. Hands down, best playing/sounding guitar I ever had/have.

I have owned one all Warmoth guitar (Strat) and one Tele with a Warmoth neck. The Strat was pretty good I just wasn't into the single coil thing at the time the neck was all rosewood but the guitar played and sounded great. The Tele was a standard with a Warmoth neck made from zebra wood and had a white binding on it that was too sharp on the sides. It played ok but was really uncomfortable to hold.

Five of my eight guitars are Warmoth. They are all Fender types but with wide variations in setups. All are great guitars.

I can't get necks that I like from Fender (large, soft 'V' profile ) without going to very expensive versions.

I don't care about resale. I haven't tried to sell one of my Warmoths and I don't intend to.

I've had high dollar PRS's and custom shop Fenders that didn't play and sound like the ones I have. They are gone. My dissatisfaction with them is what drove me to Warmoth.

Back
Top Bottom