Wanting to try some Mono recording. Seeking opinions.

mwd

Power User
I’ve enjoyed the Fractal recording in stereo for over a decade (Ultra Days). Between having two guitarist on some stuff and wanting to try some double tracking on other stuff we’re wanting to experiment with mono and I know there are multiple ways to do this. But not sure which would produce best results.

I know in Logic I can collapse a stereo track to mono with a click or insert a gain plug and click mono. On the Fractal (I think) I can just record maybe the L output or Sum L/R. Hoping folks could share your opinions on the best way to accomplish this.

I’ve enjoyed the Fractal recording in stereo for over a decade (Ultra Days). Between having two guitarist on some stuff and wanting to try some double tracking on other stuff we’re wanting to experiment with mono and I know there are multiple ways to do this. But not sure which would produce best results.

I know in Logic I can collapse a stereo track to mono with a click or insert a gain plug and click mono. On the Fractal (I think) I can just record maybe the L output or Sum L/R. Hoping folks could share your opinions on the best way to accomplish this.
Personally, I record with a small amount of reverb and delay. I record left side only, and double track the right side only on the second performance playing with the first take. I use two mono tracks panned hard left and right, feed them into a stereo aux/buss.
You’ll still get the delay and verb effect, but with separate takes making your mix full and rich.

You can do the same thing without delay and reverb on the patch and use an aux in your daw for delay and or reverb if you like.

I always record a DI track of every guitar take I do, I group them in daw edit window for all edits. That way you’re always good to go if you want to remap later down the road.
-Cheers

In Logic and probably other DAWs you can set the Pan mode to "balance" so that the pan control adjusts the relative volumes of the left and right channels and keeps them hard panned, it doesn't actually move any content from one side to the other. That way you can still track stereo but avoid any phasing/chorusing that can happen when you pan everything to one side which effectively sums the stereo image to mono on one side. But if you know you'll be double tracking and hard panning you might as well track in mono. I pretty much always record in mono unless I'm shooting a demo video for one of my presets.

I frequently record in mono. When I do that, I record only the L channel. But I still use a stereo track because I'll put the DI in the R channel. That cuts down on track clutter and makes it simpler to do edits that also apply to the DI. I then use a plugin to send only the wet channel to the track output.

Last edited:
Thank you for the ideas. I guess I'm going to have to setup an aggregate device because we track live using our X32 sound card. I need to be able for the guitarist to go direct to the Axe while the X32 is playing to achieve FX splits and DI tracks. As well I'm taking there is no difference in recording to mono or converting to mono. 6 of one half a dozen of the other?

Thank you for the ideas. I guess I'm going to have to setup an aggregate device because we track live using our X32 sound card. I need to be able for the guitarist to go direct to the Axe while the X32 is playing to achieve FX splits and DI tracks. As well I'm taking there is no difference in recording to mono or converting to mono. 6 of one half a dozen of the other?
When re-amping, yes, there can be a difference. You need to be careful to match the dual mono that comes from the In1 block when you use your guitar. Otherwise, your input will be off by 6 dB.

Yeah if I'm double tracking and panning L/R I just record mono guitars with no reverb or stereo delay. I can add effects in the DAW
Could you explain why record in mono, I just don't understand,
I've tried looking up online, but it seems to focus on recording with mics.
I seem to understand that... if you were recording a single guitar with SM57 mic, it makes sense to make the track mono.
If you were recording an instrument with dual mics, perhaps for a sense of. space, it would be a stereo track.

What I don't understand...
Imagine you're recording a guitar from the Axe.
There are no stereo effects on it, just amp and cab.
If it's recorded in stereo, does that not mean that both left and right sides of the stereo track will be the same anyway, so why record in mono.
In both examples, the track is able to be panned left or right, if needed, in the DAW.
I just don't get it, can someone explain.
Thanks.

I seem to understand that... if you were recording a single guitar with SM57 mic, it makes sense to make the track mono.
If you were recording an instrument with dual mics, perhaps for a sense of. space, it would be a stereo track.

If it's recorded in stereo, does that not mean that both left and right sides of the stereo track will be the same anyway, so why record in mono.
In both examples, the track is able to be panned left or right, if needed, in the DAW.
Thanks.
If L and R are exactly the same, I’d rather not waste any resources , plugins etc being stereo.
Also, when double tracking it just makes more sense to me to pan two mono takes L and R, instead of switching the knob to balance and then getting rid of one half of the two stereo takes.

In Logic and probably other DAWs you can set the Pan mode to "balance" so that the pan control adjusts the relative volumes of the left and right channels and keeps them hard panned, it doesn't actually move any content from one side to the other. That way you can still track stereo but avoid any phasing/chorusing that can happen when you pan everything to one side which effectively sums the stereo image to mono on one side. But if you know you'll be double tracking and hard panning you might as well track in mono. I pretty much always record in mono unless I'm shooting a demo video for one of my presets.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/031/961/thisis.jpg

@mwd could we hear an example of your original stereo preset first to see how you are making your stereo image? Once we hear that we'll know if collapsing that image to mono is a good idea or not depending on the arrangement and mix of the song.

If you have stereo effects after the Cab block within the Axe, and your goal is to have a mix with just one guitar and stereo fx then the best way to record this is to keep all cabs in the Cab block panned centre, then move the Balance knob of that Cab block all the way to the left of say, Output 1. If you want to capture a DI, set your DAW to record the raw guitar signal going into whichever input you're using. Then..send your post Cab effects to a discreet output pair on the Axe Fx (eg Output 2 L and R). You should now have 4 channels to record on 4 tracks..the dry Amp and Cab (Track 1 mono), the raw DI (Track 2 mono), and the post amp stereo fx (Tracks 3 and 4, or as one stereo track). I would take this a step further if we're trying to model reality and also feed the dry amp to a room IR of the main cab, and record that on a 5th track, just like you would record a mono room mic in addition to a close mic in the real world. Now you can pan your dry amp wherever you like in the mix, and then hard pan your stereo fx left and right, or collapse them to mono and then pan that sum to the opposite side of the dry amp etc..

@1234 there seems to be some confusion here regarding source sounds and multitrack recording in general but what you're saying is essentially correct. The confusion here results from the fact that a typical dry Axe Fx preset of just one Amp and Cab block (without any post amp fx and with all the cabs within the Cab block panned centre) is a mono source feeding the left and right outputs of the Axe, which means both channels are identical and recording them both is like duplicating a mono track in the DAW so it isn't necessary. Take many of the factory presets for example, the dry amp and cab isn't panned, but if a stereo reverb or delay etc is active post cab, you now have an image consisting of a dry amp and cab panned centrally, and stereo fx either side, which wouldn't be a very mix friendly image to print because you'd be stuck with the guitar in the middle if you want the full width of the stereo fx, so it's much better to run those fx to a separate output and then to separate tracks in your DAW.

It's all about the desired stereo image. The most basic double tracked guitar sound would be 1 Amp and Cab per take..ie each take is a mono sound and therefore needs to be recorded on a single mono track. A more involved double track guitar sound might be where each take has multiple mics (several close mics and room mics), in which case each take is a multitrack recording, recorded on separate tracks. Once those tracks are recorded per take, you can then choose how to pan them in the mix, but you'd probably hard pan your blend of close mics for take 1 to the left and pan the room mic of take 1 to the right, and then pan your blend of close mics for take 2 hard right and pan the room mic of take 2 to the left.

In the Axe, to mimic all those mics (whether by using multiple cab sounds and amount of room etc), you just need to make sure you route each sound discreetly to it's own output or output pair.

Another scenario would be stereo fx before two Amp and Cab blocks, with each amp accepting either the left or right signal from those stereo fx, and with each Cab's balance control set hard left or hard right. Again, here you would record those two Amps/Cabs as two separate tracks, and if you wanted you could record those pre fx separately too for reamping later.

So to cut a long story short, don't think about recording the Axe in mono or stereo, think about routing everything to it's own output so you can record it all on separate tracks. Or if you want to commit to a sound when you record it which is often the best idea, work out what your desired image will be and route everything appropriately in the Axe to make that happen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't collapse a stereo track into mono by summing L and R. You could get some undesirable phase artifacts.

Best advice above is to record mono dry and add effects in post.

Thanks.
https://stampsound.com/do-you-record-guitar-in-mono-or-stereo/

I wouldn't collapse a stereo track into mono by summing L and R. You could get some undesirable phase artifacts.

Best advice above is to record mono dry and add effects in post.

It would be fine to collapse a stereo image of say, dry guitar hard panned left and reverb or delay hard panned right. Another example would be collapsing a clean stereo chorus preset to mono..totally fine.

Perhaps there would be phase artifacts when collapsing a stereo image made of one guitar going to two amps hard panned, which means there was a phase issue to begin with that needs to be rectified.

An interesting example would be the TC Mimic pedal. When you split a dry guitar to one amp and then to the Mimic which feeds a second amp, in stereo, hard panned it sounds quite cool and wide, but if you make your mix mono, the Mimic's track ends up sounding like a short milisecond delay even though the pedal's
algorithm is more complex.

Wound up creating an aggregate device combining the Axe III and X32 which allowed us to play along with the guitarist we are recording for reference and cohesion. The X32 recorded the vocal track and my scratch guitar part for study and reference so we can send to the drummer for live drums. On the other guitar we were final tracking I created a split branch to an Output 2, after the amp and cab, so the guitarist could hear, and I could record his FX from Output 1 but I could also record dry from Output 2. Also recorded a DI track for safety. What a sweet setup.

Back
Top Bottom