Wanted: Fripp and Belew King Crimson patches

ok, I'm in! those are my two favourite guitar players and probably my biggest inspiration (amongst others)...

i made a couple of patches a while ago. it's tricky to say what constitutes a "fripp" or "belew" patch, because there's so much variety. a clean sound with really over the top compression is one sound (very belew-like). i also made a frippy patch where i fed a pitch shifter in a side chain (set to a m3 up and a m3 down) into a plex detune acting as a reverb. it had a whammy and a harmoniser on it as well. this was back when i had an ultra. it sounded like this...(i'm playing over a section of a krim tune...)

fairly easy to get some of the synth lead stuff (the really old skool stuff, like on Discipline) with the synth block, too

The closest I got was with a highly compressed Shiva, a reverse delay with mix controlled by exp pedal, and some chorus. Sounded similar to Belew's tone on the AxeFx demo. And the reverse delay controlled with expression pedal is the bee's knees.

Any quick tips on how to set up a side chain effect, like in Simeon's example? Or, are there any factory presets that may be a good template for that?

Great discussion as I really dig these types of tones.

The closest I got was with a highly compressed Shiva, a reverse delay with mix controlled by exp pedal, and some chorus. Sounded similar to Belew's tone on the AxeFx demo. And the reverse delay controlled with expression pedal is the bee's knees.

Care to share how you do the reverse delay thing ?
I am curious about that I gather its something in delay block
and you assign controller to bring it in..

Id like to see how this is done if possible can you share that ?

which part of the video...it's nearly an hour long!

try loading the reverse delay type and attach the mix to a controller pedal. you can then sweep between no delay (forwards) and reverse with your foot

Care to share how you do the reverse delay thing ?
I am curious about that I gather its something in delay block
and you assign controller to bring it in..

Id like to see how this is done if possible can you share that ?

Just as Simeon said. Reverse delay in delay block, and assign an expression pedal to mix in or out.

which part of the video...it's nearly an hour long!

try loading the reverse delay type and attach the mix to a controller pedal. you can then sweep between no delay (forwards) and reverse with your foot
Yes video is an hour long he goes through the different animal noises explains the sounds how to get them.
320 ms one repeat on the country hoe down slap back efx.

I messed with this last night and was able to get the elephants talking...

I read they both use electroharmonic 16 second delays
I also found they like the bender buzz fuzz which are hard to come bye
http://arc-effects.com/crimson-king
Arc has one out that sounds really great crimson king..
Sounded great think its a mash up of Bender and buzz fuzz...
eventide harmonizer and im guessing 2290 delay will get you there.

I also read that one will play a phrase at 14/12 and the other will start 13/12
and played at same time creates an echo Frame by Frame for instance..

Still working on the Rhino sounds and Godzilla...

Take from the video what you will its old and dated but it delves into several efx he uses..
Ill dig more on this It says Fripp set delays for 1/16th notes for some things..
http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=18446

Ill dig around more...
The elephant talk noises are early on in the video maybe 1/4 way through
@5:46 -7:05 mark or so..

That sound at 7:05 ROFL great stuff ..
Right after that with the slide at angle too
GODZILLA noises

still cant quite get that flanger to raise its beastly loch ness monster head
the electric mistress is evidently a tough cookie to get right...

I can see two boxes at least for the wish list here
3 if you include the 16 second delay electric mistress and the crimson king fuzz..

@Matt & @ Cliff that Arc Crimson king fuzz might be well worth adding too the stable of sounds here..

one might play a phrase loop it at 14/8 and come back and while thats going play 13/8 playing the same phrase
that would create FRAME BY FRAME..

Im certain Simeon or Yek can nail the harmonizer parts and delay times and
the synth block stuff.

In the video which is an hour long sorry he describes using a synth sound
I think the synth block as mentioned will be the way to get the air from balloon sounds
and perhaps that sound the OP mentioned...

I do not know how to work those blocks very well but its time to learn..

Its only talk bicker bicker brewwwwwwww haha...

@7:03 mark Lol sounds like Jurrassic Park T Rex or Godzilla... where he buries the slide past end of neck and
between neck pup...

just before that He illustrates the Elephants talking and the Rhino...
@ 30:00-35:00 or so he shows more of the cello and violin or viola sounds and
then gets into synth sounds.

@simeon around 30:00 mark and through 35:00 and past he does some very interesting things

I think the electric mistress is what he used for flanging 16 second delays were bought for Fripp and evidently
since they called it Fripp in a box they went asking for one for free and EH said no so Adrian bought them
not sure if they re issued that box or not. But looping should solve that somewhat.

Even using something like line 6 delay which does reverse ect before the axe into the looper
might be interesting though from what I read reverse delay block and the looper might be the
ticket for that...

Working on that since I have nothing better to do..

I note Adrian was even able to emulate that cow moooing effect no doubt from Zappa days..
He shows this technique Frankie taught him which he calls Bagpipes where you bounce the pick.

Im working through some of the sounds saving them in library and will screen cap them
to load up here still working them out....

I read as mentioned they played the same phrase in Frame by Frame only one played in 13/8 the other in 14/8
when played together it creates an echo sound Im guessing Fripp had a hand in that and they counted to 15 or something like that
and it happens to stop at same time together...

Im cheating I think 420 with a repeat of 3 or 4 works for Frame by Frame ..
I read Adrian likes to use compression when he is using Delay & Fuzz !
For the wilder fuzz sounds he says it squishes the sound into the Fuzz and seems to enhance
how the overall Fuzz sound works...So he uses compression with Fuzz..

This makes me raise a brow to what Cliff said mentioned the FF in axe reacts as if it has a buffer before it

I like the sound of ts9_ and fuzz face together I think the Ts9 compresses some anyway so that might be why
it makes the combination sound so good.. !

I checked out the ARC Crimson King fuzz it sounds just sick..
I want to get one seems to be blend of Bender and a Buzz Fuzz blended together
3 matched components to get that.

That has my % might have to spring for one of those...

An old thread that has just gifted me your old presets(fxII) for my AX8... and some great listening from your albums. Thank you. Happy Christmas.
Gotta love a thread resurrection..
nice. necrobump ftw! happy holidays, honcho.

Back
Top Bottom