Walk-through of my Axe FX/MFC101 fly rig!

Nice rig Pete... The embedding is done with the film clip icon in the advanced tab.

Are you going to be playing with Sound Garden as well? They have a date in WA at the Gorge on the 30th which is very close to where I'm at now.

Where does the tuner get its signal from? A cord whole the way back to the receiver or an Axe out?
It would be cool if the MFC carried that signal somehow, so a short cord would suffice.
Anyway, the TC might be bloatware soon ;)

Very cool!! I was hoping you would post something about your rig while your on this tour.

Greatly appreciated!

Nice walk through!... The Reactor 50/50 sounds interesting. Any idea on how it compares to other stereo tube amps like the Mesa or VHT?

I wonder if there is any concers about the Axe FX being on top of the 50/50? How hot does the 50/50 get? Has anyone measured temps on the chasis of the Axe FX when on top of a power amp? I am considering a similar solution. I wonder what power Pete used? I am thinking of a 4U shock rack with something in the back for power.

Where does the tuner get its signal from? A cord whole the way back to the receiver or an Axe out?
It would be cool if the MFC carried that signal somehow, so a short cord would suffice.
Anyway, the TC might be bloatware soon ;)

Hi, there's 2 feeds out of the wireless, and I just take 1 feed and send it down 25 feet of cable to the tuner. The other goes straight to the Axe FX.

I wonder if there is any concers about the Axe FX being on top of the 50/50? How hot does the 50/50 get? Has anyone measured temps on the chasis of the Axe FX when on top of a power amp? I am considering a similar solution. I wonder what power Pete used? I am thinking of a 4U shock rack with something in the back for power.

I didn't put much thought into it :) The amp seems to run pretty cool... And I used a decent but nothing special power strip w/surge protector
in the back of the rack....

I posted replies to some questions about the rig over at Huge Racks- thought I'd re-post here:

so to answer some questions- with Melissa, I'm using a wedge, not in ears. I bailed on in ears a year ago and am much happier using a wedge. Bottom line is I'm much less picky about the mix and have way more fun when using a wedge. If in ear mixes aren't just perfect, I spend all my time saying "this up, this down" all night, and that drives me nuts. I can have just a decent wedge mix with a blend of everything (drums, bass, vocals, Melissa's guitars, my guitar) in it, and get some drums and a bit of my guitar in the side fills, and I'm super happy.

SO- for me they just put a bit of the Axe FX direct signal in the monitors. It's what everyone else gets as well (everyone else is on in ears).

Speaking of monitors, we had a guy named Bob do them the other night, he's Metallica's monitor engineer and it was just STELLAR. It sounded so so good onstage, and Melissa was super stoked with her in ear mix too. I almost wish I'd tried in-ears on that show, just because i've always wanted to experience an incredible in-ear mix, like the skies will part and I'd go "AH, now I see how good this can be".

Plexi patch- basically I have a "standard" signal chain I follow for axe fx patches, and then I use whatever amp model is appropriate, and tweak delay, verb, drives etc per patch. The chain is:

Phaser-drive1-drive2-delay1-amp=delay2
....................................................reverb1
....................................................shunt

Hard to show this here, but amp 1 splits to the shunt in the 3rd row, the delay2 and verb 1. The delay and verb get run 100% wet, and the shunt serves as a dry thru, then they all sum back together, and the chain continues-

graphic eq1-graphic eq2-cab1
....................................cab2
....................................fx loop
Graphic 2 splits to cab1, cab2 and fx loop. The graphics aren't used for eq- only for volume control over the patch. Graphic1 is like an overall volume that I balance by ear per patch, and Graphic 2 is a solo level boost, I have it tied to a IA switch on the MFC101, and it gives me a 2 DB boost.

The FX loop sends the signal out with no cab sims to output 2 of the Axe, and on to the Atomic 50/50 and cabs. The Cab sims are 2 stereo cab blocks, each with a different red wirez IR- one is a basketweave Marshall with a greenback, mic'd with a 57 at 0.5 in at the cap edge, and the other is a G12M Heritage mic'd the same way.

Why 2 stereo cab blocks? Because it's the only way to blend 2 IR's of different speakers, and have stereo effects. Yes this means I'm using "low res" speaker sims but i love the added tone complexity mixing 2 speaker sims, and I think it outweighs the small disadvantage of using lower res IR's.

With regards to how I set up the plexi amp sim- it's plexi 2, bright is off, and I have everything cranked up pretty good- hard to remember exactly but gain is about 3/4 of the way up, as is the master, and bass is cranked, and mid/treble are 3/4 of the way up as well. Presence is on maybe 6 or so, depth on about 2. Cool trick- if it's too edgy, go into the advanced amp parameters and turn down the transformer HF parameter. It's probably on 14k, turn it down to like 4 or 5 k. Niiicceeeeee........

Whew ok that's it!

Thanks for taking the time to explain your setup on your patches, Pete! I was curious which IR's you were using, so thanks for sharing that.

Yeah, I find lowering the Transformer HF helps tame the highend on some of the amp sims like the Vox and plexi models. Also bumping the speaker Res Freq to taste, like around 110 give or take a few helps add some bloom to the tone.

Great stuff as usual!
Have a great tour!

A couple pics of the rig:

photo-36.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

Very Cool, Pete! Couple of questions - there was talk about not using reverb when playing live since you can get kinda lost in the mix (I'm competing with another guitarist and keyboards). I guess I agree with that if you're playing in a club, but a lot of our gigs are outdoor shows and it seems like some reverb would be appropriate. How much do you tend to use? Are you adjusting the mix of the reverb and delay together with your 2nd expression pedal? I'm setting up some new patches for a big gig this weekend and am trying to get the delays set where I can adjust them (either mix or input gain - can't decide which is better) with my expression pedal. It sounds like you like a lot of delay when you solo - Are you using the tap tempo for each song or a set amount of delay? Have you tried the ducker settings? Sorry for all the questions - I just saw your post and video at the same time I'm getting ready for this gig and just thought I would ask.

Very Cool, Pete! Couple of questions - there was talk about not using reverb when playing live since you can get kinda lost in the mix (I'm competing with another guitarist and keyboards). I guess I agree with that if you're playing in a club, but a lot of our gigs are outdoor shows and it seems like some reverb would be appropriate. How much do you tend to use? Are you adjusting the mix of the reverb and delay together with your 2nd expression pedal? I'm setting up some new patches for a big gig this weekend and am trying to get the delays set where I can adjust them (either mix or input gain - can't decide which is better) with my expression pedal. It sounds like you like a lot of delay when you solo - Are you using the tap tempo for each song or a set amount of delay? Have you tried the ducker settings? Sorry for all the questions - I just saw your post and video at the same time I'm getting ready for this gig and just thought I would ask.

no two songs are the same- yes i use tap tempo, and expression with verb and delay or sometimes just delay mix- I don't use much verb but here and there I do- like in this vid, listen at 1:23-

‪Melissa Etheridge - Nowhere To Go (Live in Council Bluffs)‬‏ - YouTube

same song, maybe a slightly better vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhOJtQ00HeM

there's a fair amount of verb on that song. Ya I'd agree that for outdoor shows, to much verb is not such a concern, the sound just dissipates so you can get away with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom