Waitlist Email

I've recently experienced that Reverb isn't even needed on many presets, especially for distorted live presets. Yet there it is, eating up DSP in my presets.

Removing it actually cleans things up. Let the natural room reverb do its thing.

Addition by subtraction from a tone perspective. And DSP. I'm going to start removing it from all except Ambient or Clean tone presets
Zactly, adding reverb in a room with cement floors and no sound control just makes a bigger mess.

Since Fractal is trialing alternative chips for this FM9 re-release, I wonder if these new units will be designated as such so resale values adjust accordingly.. I would imagine that using different chips would at the very least try to match the current power the original units have if not possibly surpass them marginally ensuring future successes...

This is news to me. Admittedly I haven't been watching closely. Glad to hear it

Since Fractal is trialing alternative chips for this FM9 re-release, I wonder if these new units will be designated as such so resale values adjust accordingly.. I would imagine that using different chips would at the very least try to match the current power the original units have if not possibly surpass them marginally ensuring future successes...
I think you may be referring to a post from @Admin M@ where he mentioned something about trying to find other solutions to the problem. I can't seem to find the thread.

Are you conflating that to mean "alternative chips"? Because I think that's a big jump...

Otherwise, do you have a reference for something indicating they are doing this?

with all of these shortages being mentioned here, I cant help to wonder if my FM9 needed parts for a repair would I be out of luck and the proud owner of a gorgeous door stop?

I think you may be referring to a post from @Admin M@ where he mentioned something about trying to find other solutions to the problem. I can't seem to find the thread.

Are you conflating that to mean "alternative chips"? Because I think that's a big jump...

Otherwise, do you have a reference for something indicating they are doing this?
Agreed. That’s a big jump, and without specific information is just rumormongering, which, especially in this thread, is not cool.

My apologies! Perhaps I misread into the thread you mentioned above where other solutions were being explored!

My apologies! Perhaps I misread into the thread you mentioned above where other solutions were being explored!
The statement from @Admin M@ was a bit vague, probably deliberately so, because there appeared to be some shenanigans going on from their chip supplier or distributor. The DSPs are in big demand and, if I remember right, are used by car manufacturers to manage the engines among other things. The car companies couldn't get the chips, like Fractal, but they are the 800 lb. gorillas and could throw around a lot more money while Fractal is the one cute little bonobo. :)

So, they, FAS, could be trying to find a different supplier, they could be trying different chips from the same family, they could be looking at other DSP manufacturers, there are a lot of different paths. What is important is that they're trying.

There's an interesting quote from Cliff about the Ares architecture and how flexible it is:
"The Axe-Fx III, FM3 and the other products in development all use the "Ares" architecture. This is a portable client-server architecture that allows easy porting of effects and models between hardware platforms. When we ported the Axe-Fx III models to the FM3 it involved nothing more than copying the file. We created the Ares architecture three years ago and all new products use it. It's a comprehensive hardware and software paradigm that allows any number of clients to communicate with a DSP server. The architecture supports multiple DSP cores. Clients can be located on the same core, a different core on the same IC, a different IC on the same board or on completely different hardware, i.e. an editor running on a PC or a foot controller. For example on the FM3 the UI is a client running on the ARM core. The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices. The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products." [6]
That tells me that whatever path they choose it won't ruin the work they've done for the current FM9 architecture, that they should be able to slide a different core into place if that's the path they are on, and everything will work.

Exciting times ahead eh!

Even if the Ares architecture would give all the freedom to exchange the hardware underneath it doesn't mean it's what FAS is going to resort to. Otherwise they could have thrown it onto the AX8 as well. In the end it all is much more driven by business than technical requirements. Putting an entirely new FM9 design into the pipeline would very likely take longer than waiting out this shortage.

which bears the question....and not faulting anyone here or casting any aspersions at all, but in all seriousness, after coming up on 1 year of wait time, is the FM-9 now a year or so away from being outdated by an FM12?

which bears the question....and not faulting anyone here or casting any aspersions at all, but in all seriousness, after coming up on 1 year of wait time, is the FM-9 now a year or so away from being outdated by an FM12?
How do we know? Fractal would be stupid to leak any sort of information about that.

I'm posting this for our customers in the USA and Canada after G66 sent an email to some of their waitlist customers in Europe today.

We’re pleased to inform you that a new production run of FM9s is expected to be offered to waitlist customers in the USA and Canada beginning August 2022.

We will resume "NOW SERVING" forum posts once invitations start going out, but we can't estimate how long the wait will be for a given place in line. We will continue to do all we can to maximize production during a global semiconductor shortage.

Meanwhile, the Axe-Fx III and FM3 are available now with no wait at http://shop.fractalaudio.com

I'm posting this for our customers in the USA and Canada after G66 sent an email to some of their waitlist customers in Europe today.

We’re pleased to inform you that a new production run of FM9s is expected to be offered to waitlist customers in the USA and Canada beginning August 2022.

We will resume "NOW SERVING" forum posts once invitations start going out, but we can't estimate how long the wait will be for a given place in line. We will continue to do all we can to maximize production during a global semiconductor shortage.

Meanwhile, the Axe-Fx III and FM3 are available now with no wait at http://shop.fractalaudio.com
This is awesome news @Admin M@!

That's awesome news M@!!! I've been waiting on my invitation and now I just have to convince myself I "need" this by August haha. Look forward to any further updates as you guys post!!!

As for the snarky comments, Fractal is a tiny company and likely pretty low on the totem pole to get any available chips. I'm more than certain if they could have been shipping the FM9s earlier they would have, with it being their newest and potentially hottest product atm.

That's awesome news M@!!! I've been waiting on my invitation and now I just have to convince myself I "need" this by August haha. Look forward to any further updates as you guys post!!!

As for the snarky comments, Fractal is a tiny company and likely pretty low on the totem pole to get any available chips. I'm more than certain if they could have been shipping the FM9s earlier they would have, with it being their newest and potentially hottest product atm.
Came here to say this. I work in global supply and it's been a mess for a hot minute. Fractal aren't a huge company. They can't be anywhere near a priority like Line 6 would be, considering that Line 6 is owned by Yamaha, a multi-billion dollar company.

Came here to say this. I work in global supply and it's been a mess for a hot minute. Fractal aren't a huge company. They can't be anywhere near a priority like Line 6 would be, considering that Line 6 is owned by Yamaha, a multi-billion dollar company.
Line 6, or an automaker, since that line of DSPs is also used by car manufacturers. Even if that specific one isn't, they'd shift production to the chip that has the highest demand.

Back
Top Bottom