WAH with the MFC ??

s0c9

For those of you who have received the MFC-101 how are you managing the WAH effect?

Let me expand..
I have a Mission SP-1R on its way, and plan to have it be a dual-function expression/volume and use the switch to turn the WAH on/off. Seems pretty straight forward using TRS cables into Switch 1+2 and EXPR1 .. as was replied in an earlier post on the subject.

So how do you know that you actually have WAH enabled on that patch? By default mine are "off" until toggled "on" by the switch! Sure, you can set up one of the IA's to be WAH-1 so it will show the state when the patch is selected - as with any other IA. But then it replaces the external switch functionality, or does it duplicate it?

Don't have a way to test this yet - SP-1R not here. Trying to plan ahead as I have gig this weekend that will need WAH working.

I use a regular expression pedal and the "auto-engage" function of the Axe-FX...if you make the "toe-down" position "off", it works the same as a switch without the extra switch line, etc. You just start using the pedal, the wah comes on automatically, and when you put it back to "toe-down" it just turns off (as if you had hit an actual switch). It is fabulous and one of my favorite features on the Axe.

wezx said:
I use a regular expression pedal and the "auto-engage" function of the Axe-FX...if you make the "toe-down" position "off", it works the same as a switch without the extra switch line, etc. You just start using the pedal, the wah comes on automatically, and when you put it back to "toe-down" it just turns off (as if you had hit an actual switch). It is fabulous and one of my favorite features on the Axe.

+1

The dual vol/wah pedal wasn't working for me.
Primarily because to get to the switch, you have to push the pedal down, which means that volume is always maxed when enabling the wah.
A really separate switch would have been better for this.

yek said:
Primarily because to get to the switch, you have to push the pedal down, which means that volume is always maxed when enabling the wah.
A really separate switch would have been better for this.

After playing around with it for a few days using my Gordius LG, I'm not digging the dual function either.
I'm going to play around with it a bit more.

Agree, the switch is good for turning wah on and off, but not to switch between volume and anything else. I dont think it works live.

I'm toggling between Wah and Volume (or any other two functions, depending on the preset) with just one expression pedal:

MFC-101_Labels.jpg

The pedal is my DIY Pt-labeled "mister.friendly EXP-101" :lol:

IMG_3280.jpg

The toe-switch toggles between "Wah-" and "Volume-Mode" (i.e. alternate bypass of a Wah- and a Volume-Block). Volume-Mode is indicated by a super-bright LED. Well, not as bright as the MFC's LEDs... ;)

... because it's just driven with the 5 milli-amps current the MFC's switch jacks deliver when you close (pull down) the contact. No battery or other power for the pedal required! Even with LED the voltage drop is big enough that the MFC is detecting "switch closed".

Special feature: between the heavy duty step plate and the pedal rocker is a layer with pressure depending electrical dc resistance (typically >> 10 meg. ohms w/o "pressure" and << 1 k ohms w/ "your foot rocking the pedal"). If connected to one of the MFC's switch jacks, this enables something like "hardware auto-engage": step o the pedal in any position "Wah ON" / take your foot from pedal in any position "Wah OFF"! In "Volume-Mode" this "smart switch" is disabled to avoid engaging the Wah when you adjust the volume...

But there is more: this "smart switch" can also be hooked up to a MFC pedal jack and work like a "pressure depending" expression pedal without moving the rocker!

Works like a charm :cool:

mister.friendly said:
Special feature: between the heavy duty step plate and the pedal rocker is a layer with pressure depending electrical dc resistance (typically >> 10 meg. ohms w/o "pressure" and << 1 k ohms w/ "your foot rocking the pedal"). If connected to one of the MFC's switch jacks, this enables something like "hardware auto-engage": step o the pedal in any position "Wah ON" / take your foot from pedal in any position "Wah OFF"! In "Volume-Mode" this "smart switch" is disabled to avoid engaging the Wah when you adjust the volume...

How cool ist that? What do you use as resistance layer?

Kudos - Michael

wezx said:
I use a regular expression pedal and the "auto-engage" function of the Axe-FX...if you make the "toe-down" position "off", it works the same as a switch without the extra switch line, etc.

How do you set the toe-down position to off?

I use a Modifier (like - I think - Andi-O has posted a long time ago) for doing that with "Auto engage" set to off. But I wonder if there is perhaps another way, probably an option I have overlooked?

Thanks - Michael

wezx said:
This assumes a separate pedal for Wah right? and then Yek added:
Yek said:
Primarily because to get to the switch, you have to push the pedal down, which means that volume is always maxed when enabling the wah. A really separate switch would have been better for this.
OK. so looks like I'm going to need TWO expression pedals to make this work properly for "live" use!!
If I go with TWO then wezx's "auto-engage" approach should work well. Someone posted in another thread that they used insert cables with the switch side of the SP-1, connected to both 1/2 + 3/4 switch jacks so switching on Wah turned off volume and vice versa. I would imagine this would still cause volume to be full on - as the switch is engaged in toe-down position (full volume) even if it turns off the volume control when activated. Surely it does than anyway ??

None of this thread answers my other question tho'... which is:
How do you know (other than from memory) that a specific patch has a Wah block ???
It's not any different that knowing that any other block is there or not.
I really don't want to waste an IA for that - even on the bottom row - and have to press REVEAL to determine if there's an inactive WAH block in the patch.
However, I do not have many patches with WAH, so maybe I should suck it up and go the "memory" route ?

Back
Top Bottom