Wah Block Causing Clipping

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
FIXED! Thanks GM and Chris.

I'm in the process of updating my presets to Quantum v1.01. I've got one preset with the Shiver Clean amp that works fine until I engage the wah block. To start with, I've got the amp settings on the patch tipping the output meters at about 0.0 dB. But when I engage the wah block, the higher frequencies send it off the chart into clipping territory. The level on the wah block is at 0.0 dB. When I listen to the preset through my monitors, I don't hear any significant volume difference with the wah block engaged or not. I've tried dialing back the 'Frequency Max' setting in the wah block. It helps a little but loses its tone when adjusting it enough to help with the clipping. Presently I'm using the 'Clyde' model but I've tried all the others with similar results. I used this same setup in my patches prior to Quantum with no problems. Perhaps that's just coincidence. Any suggestions?

(I reset the wah block to default and attached the preset in the event anyone wants to take a look)

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• Shiva Clean (JH).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wah boosts over a narrow band of frequencies, cutting levels either side of the band, so the "average sound level" is similar when you use it. But with a clean patch, the boost will certainly cause clipping. You can manage this by using amp compression or a limiter. Also check that the Q of the wah block is not higher than you need for the sound you want. I generally use lower Q settings with cleaner sounds, but I know others do the opposite.

Wah boosts over a narrow band of frequencies, cutting levels either side of the band, so the "average sound level" is similar when you use it. But with a clean patch, the boost will certainly cause clipping. You can manage this by using amp compression or a limiter.

Thanks GM.
When you mention "amp compression", are you referring to the 'Dynamics' page on the amp menu? I just took a look at that page and honestly, I've never paid any attention to the 'Comp' controls on that page. In fact, I didn't realize it was a compressor. :-| I'll give it a try. What about the 'Comp Clarity' control? I couldn't find any documentation for what it does. You also mentioned a limiter. My guess is this would be a compressor block with the ratio cranked all the way up. I'd also guess that I'd place this block after the wah (before the amp).

Also check that the Q of the wah block is not higher than you need for the sound you want. I generally use lower Q settings with cleaner sounds, but I know others do the opposite.

I'm familiar with basic 'Q' adjustments with an EQ, but I'm confused on the Q controls of the wah block. Reading up on it, 'Resonance and Tracking' seem to work in unison, but I'm just not getting my head around it.
Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Joe

Even with a real amp and real wah pedal, a wah on a clean tone can overdrive the input and cause clipping. Sometimes simply reducing the Wah block Level works (sometimes it doesn't). Otherwise you might just need more headroom in the overall level of that preset, which means your other presets might have to come down too.

Where is your preset registering on average on the Horizontal VU meters without the wah?

Check out this excerpt from my live stream for more on the VU meters

http://youtu.be/_YC2Y1jsEIM

Even with a real amp and real wah pedal, a wah on a clean tone can overdrive the input and cause clipping. Sometimes simply reducing the Wah block Level works (sometimes it doesn't). Otherwise you might just need more headroom in the overall level of that preset, which means your other presets might have to come down too.

Where is your preset registering on average on the Horizontal VU meters without the wah?

Check out this excerpt from my live stream for more on the VU meters

http://youtu.be/_YC2Y1jsEIM

Thanks Chris,
Without the wah, the VU meters are averaging about 0.0 dB. I used the VU meters regularly to level my presets but it wasn't until I watched your video a moment ago that I realized the 'quick control knob function'. Thanks for the tip. Very handy.

After revisiting this preset a little closer I found that dropping in a compressor block as GM suggested, and setting it as a limiter, it solved the issue just fine. So I'm back in business. It's great to have this forum right at my fingertips for expert advice almost 24/7. Thanks for your help. :eagerness:
Joe

Back
Top Bottom