W/D/W: A Tale of Two Rigs

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I recently put together a w/d/w rig using "normal" pedals.

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

The Drop, OD, and flanger go out of the pedalboard and to the input of an EVH 5153 50w stealth (or the 6505 1992 Original). The only thing in the amp's FX loop is the noise gate. The speaker out from the stealth goes into a Bray LO-1 line out box. The speaker-through from the LO-1 sends the amp's signal to the dry center cab (Mesa 4x12). The Line out of the LO-1 sends a signal back to the board then into the Musicom Parallelizer. The Parallelizer's three loops contain the Eventide MicroPitch (stereo), SDE-3000EVH delay (stereo), and Dispatch Master (reverb only; mono). The outputs of the Parallelizer feed a Powerstage 700 powering the wet cabs (custom oversized 2x12s). I can control the effects and amp channel switching via the Morningstar MC6 Pro.

It is an amazing setup. It sounds absolutely glorious. It took me a couple days to get the board wired up and do some basic troubleshooting. As soon as I got it all dialed in I said it was "the most inspiring sound I've ever played through."

The obvious next step was to recreate the basic rig and signal chain in the FM9 and run that through the same power amps and cabs. I took about an hour to put the layout together and do a little tweaking. I was going for a near-exact replica and came up with this:

Image 6-23-23 at 6.29 PM.jpeg

Output 1 goes to the interface/computer. Output 3 goes mono to the EVH return. Output 2 goes stereo to the Powerstage. The delay blocks are Leon's SDE3000's from his block library (thanks, @2112 !). The pitch block takes care of dual detune. Reverb varies. Trichorus available if desired. This rig basically took me about an hour and a half to completely setup. That doesn't count setting up the FM9 board which was already done. Here that is:

IMG_1715.jpeg

It sounds every bit as inspiring as the pedal rig, probably more so if I'm being honest. It literally made me laugh out loud and gave me goosebumps. And of course it's so much more versatile it's almost a joke even saying that. I can use any amp model, any effect, I can switch to stereo, mono, wet/dry, etc. with a simple preset change. I can just play through the computer if I want (and don't even need to rewire anything). It's also dead silent.

I love the FM9 so much. I'll get rid of it when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. Or when Fractal puts out its successor, whichever comes first. And those are both maybes. :)

The FM9 is, in gamer-speak, "f***ing OP."

I should try this. I don't have 3 cabs, but I do have 2- 412 Mesa Stereo cabs, a Dual Rec, and 3 different Mesa stereo power amps.

I'm thinking for the dry, send it to the DR return, then use 2 of the outputs, and send each one to the inner speakers of the cabs, then run the stereo out "wet" to one of the power amps, and send that to the outer speakers of each cab. I bet it would sound amazing.

I should try this. I don't have 3 cabs, but I do have 2- 412 Mesa Stereo cabs, a Dual Rec, and 3 different Mesa stereo power amps.

I'm thinking for the dry, send it to the DR return, then use 2 of the outputs, and send each one to the inner speakers of the cabs, then run the stereo out "wet" to one of the power amps, and send that to the outer speakers of each cab. I bet it would sound amazing.
Do it! You could also just use two stereo power amps. One feeding the inner speakers in dual mono and the other feeding the two outer pairs in stereo.

I recently put together a w/d/w rig using "normal" pedals.

View attachment 122437

View attachment 122438

The Drop, OD, and flanger go out of the pedalboard and to the input of an EVH 5153 50w stealth (or the 6505 1992 Original). The only thing in the amp's FX loop is the noise gate. The speaker out from the stealth goes into a Bray LO-1 line out box. The speaker-through from the LO-1 sends the amp's signal to the dry center cab (Mesa 4x12). The Line out of the LO-1 sends a signal back to the board then into the Musicom Parallelizer. The Parallelizer's three loops contain the Eventide MicroPitch (stereo), SDE-3000EVH delay (stereo), and Dispatch Master (reverb only; mono). The outputs of the Parallelizer feed a Powerstage 700 powering the wet cabs (custom oversized 2x12s). I can control the effects and amp channel switching via the Morningstar MC6 Pro.

It is an amazing setup. It sounds absolutely glorious. It took me a couple days to get the board wired up and do some basic troubleshooting. As soon as I got it all dialed in I said it was "the most inspiring sound I've ever played through."

The obvious next step was to recreate the basic rig and signal chain in the FM9 and run that through the same power amps and cabs. I took about an hour to put the layout together and do a little tweaking. I was going for a near-exact replica and came up with this:

View attachment 122440

Output 1 goes to the interface/computer. Output 3 goes mono to the EVH return. Output 2 goes stereo to the Powerstage. The delay blocks are Leon's SDE3000's from his block library (thanks, @2112 !). The pitch block takes care of dual detune. Reverb varies. Trichorus available if desired. This rig basically took me about an hour and a half to completely setup. That doesn't count setting up the FM9 board which was already done. Here that is:

View attachment 122441

It sounds every bit as inspiring as the pedal rig, probably more so if I'm being honest. It literally made me laugh out loud and gave me goosebumps. And of course it's so much more versatile it's almost a joke even saying that. I can use any amp model, any effect, I can switch to stereo, mono, wet/dry, etc. with a simple preset change. I can just play through the computer if I want (and don't even need to rewire anything). It's also dead silent.

I love the FM9 so much. I'll get rid of it when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. Or when Fractal puts out its successor, whichever comes first. And those are both maybes. :)

The FM9 is, in gamer-speak, "f***ing OP."
I absolutely love this. I’ve been on a similar exploration. I’ve been working on building a pedalboard with a switcher for a wet/dry/wet setup. I cannot make it sound as good as the FM9. Which is crazy considering the cost of the fm9 is about the cost of the switcher and a reverb pedal. Just crazy. No patch cables to go bad. And I worked and worked on the pedalboard and even at its best it is much noisier. Even after high quality patch cables and isolated power supplies it’s not even close. The intelligent gate on the FM9 is amazing too. I love it.

Kudos on your pedalboard. Looks great. I think the only thing better about the pedalboard is that it begs for constant tinkering and I think pedals are fun but nothing beats the FM9

I absolutely love this. I’ve been on a similar exploration. I’ve been working on building a pedalboard with a switcher for a wet/dry/wet setup. I cannot make it sound as good as the FM9. Which is crazy considering the cost of the fm9 is about the cost of the switcher and a reverb pedal. Just crazy. No patch cables to go bad. And I worked and worked on the pedalboard and even at its best it is much noisier. Even after high quality patch cables and isolated power supplies it’s not even close. The intelligent gate on the FM9 is amazing too. I love it.

Kudos on your pedalboard. Looks great. I think the only thing better about the pedalboard is that it begs for constant tinkering and I think pedals are fun but nothing beats the FM9
Thanks! Yeah the pedalboard is fun but incredibly limiting in comparison. For example what if I want to try my SD-1 instead of the precision drive? What if I want a different reverb or flanger? What if I just want to run mono?

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing setup. It's just relatively limited because the FM9 has all the things.

Thanks so much for this! I've been wanting to try the same thing for a while now. I used to have a W/D/W setup with my Mesa TC-50 and FX8. Ever since getting the FM9, I've wondered how I could set up a modeling equivalent. I've got two Celestion F12-X200 cabs and will add a third for the center dry signal. Need to add a mono power amp for it. Wonder what might work best with the ISP Stealth amp I'm using for stereo now. Needs to be pedal size to fit in the limited space on my board.

That's sweet. Been running wet/dry at home for a few years now. That is the next logical
step for me. Gonna snag that EVH version of the SDE 3000 when they are more widely available
later this summer.

Really not feasible for me to use in any group I play with, but at home----- hell; to the yeah! 🤘

Although not quite as sexy as 3 412's I think I'm going to give this a shot using some tops for the wet side of things! Should make for a really nice back line rig, what do you guys think? OP1 for the wet stuff and OP-2 mono for up the middle dry.

IMG_1427.jpg

IDK I think I might need another PMX for that you're going to hear me like it or not! o_O
IMG_1429.jpg

Last edited:
Although not quite as sexy as 3 412's I think I'm going to give this a shot using some tops for the wet side of things! Should make for a really nice back line rig, what do you guys think? OP1 for the wet stuff and OP-2 mono for up the middle dry.

View attachment 122674

IDK I think I might need another PMX for that you're going to hear me like it or not! o_O
View attachment 122675
I have occasionally thought of adding a pair of FRFRs for the left and right, and using my SpaceStation XL for stereo center, so that things like rotary and stereo chorus could be left in the SpaceStation (which really projects those into room nicely) while the left and right speakers could get the delays for nice, wide ping-pong/circular delays (which the SpaceStation doesn't do as well). Who knows what might be possible with a setup like that? :D

View attachment 122674

View attachment 122675
Do it. I'm curious how that is. Is that a pair of PXM-12s in the middle? What are the outer speakers?

Do it. I'm curious how that is. Is that a pair of PXM-12s in the middle? What are the outer speakers?
Yes! The other cabs are EV ZLX. They work fairly well for PA duty! I used them once in monitor position but they didn't sound as good as the PMX. They definitely need to be listened to from a distance. I will get everything all hooked up, mod one of my presets this weekend and wreck my ears for a few.

I miss my old W/D/W rig, it was a pita to haul around but it sounded glorious! especially when your in a space big enough to let it breath!

This pic was from the mid 2000's

30.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!!! I bet both rigs are killer. I've been using W/D/W at home for a few years now, and it's unbeatable. Sooo much fun! I sort of have two different versions of it too- a Swart SST-30, and a Swart Stereo Master 20, and then more recently I've set up my Tucana 3 with the Matrix GT1000 (or whatever it's called...), with the Matrix driving a stereo 2x12. Both sound massive, and the Axe does a perfect job of gluing it all together. Have fun with it!

@Deadpool_25 Just a little update on this!

Because of space a cabling constraints I had to run everything in a monitor position. With no way for me to run angled connections into the PMX's I couldn't stack them and the room is 10'x11'

Sound wise, it's killer! but it does take a little balancing of the OP volumes to get it just right! Being the Boston freek I am I modded that preset to work in this configuration.

OP1 is stereo and OP2 is copy L-R the majority of the effects are in op-1 while op-2 has pitch used for a foe feedback simulator and flange for the obscure effects in don't look back with the volume swell.

I have attached the preset for anyone that wants to try this out! feel free to tweak it to your liking.

FYI there are modifyers attached to the effects so if you don't have a pair cc pedals and a external switch you will need to either set them up or remove them all together.

IMG_1431.jpg

Attachments

• Boston W:D:W.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom