Vote: strip the finish off the entire BACK of the Les Paul; not just the neck?

Should I strip the finish off the entire Les Paul

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megadebt

Experienced
I've been thinking of doing the entire BACK of the guitar - not just the back of the neck.

It will get a tru-oil finish.

Last edited:
I vote to strip the Gibson Les Paul logo from the headstock and paint some nice artwork instead :p

Do you sell guitars or keep them all? If you ever plan to sell or trade it, I wouldnt do the whole back. If you keep everything you buy (I'm told these people exist), go for it.

I have guitar necks with zero finish and some with poly, and when I play them, it never enters my mind which is which. So my advice is to do nothing!

If I can get a nice crisp clean line where the neck meets the body then I won't strip the body. I'm working on this area today - carefully. Wish me luck!

All my guitars have "sticky" gloss necks. Never slowed me down one bit.

My mediocre playing skills and lack of productive practice time... now that's a different story. :p

Me too. Now the body is another story. My forearm "sticks" to the contour on my Majesty, prob because my biceps are nowhere near the proper size to be playing that guitar haha.

My mediocre playing skills and lack of productive practice time... now that's a different story. :p
I'm not a super fast player. I have no desire to be either. I just don't like the feel of a sticky neck.

Just curious, what was the motivation in the first place?

I was thinking if I could not get a clean paint line where the neck meets the body and it turned out totally hacked up looking I would just strip the whole body, but I'm taking my sweet time, and it should turn out quite well.

My other thought was that the finish on the body's back and neck would match.

I just don't want this guitar to looked hacked up. I want a professional quality job. I'm doing my level best.

Clear wood finish on back looks classy as hell if done well, like on a gold top Les Paul.

What color is the guitar now? If it got a transparent finish, it's likely got a nice clear grain. If it's a solid color, you might find a surprise under there like weird grain paterns or blotchy coloration or streaking in the wood. Not uncommon save the clean, attractive wood stock for transparent and clear finish guitars and use the less than stellar looking (but otherwise fine) stuff for opaque finishes.

Back
Top Bottom