VooDoo Labs GCPro and Axe-Fx Scenes

So this all started because I was on the Fractal forum reading about LF controllers and the Axe-Fx. I was convinced I was going to need to sell my GCPro and buy an LF because there was no way to implement scene selection without having to use the mapping feature on the Axe-Fx, which works, but is cumbersome. I was interested in the LF+ JR+, but by the time I factor in the exchange rate, shipping, duty, taxes, etc. I'm looking at a lot of money for something I would probably only scratch the surface of, in terms of functionality.

I figured that if scenes weren't an option on the GCPro, I could use the IA buttons to select/bypass blocks within a preset. So I got that working but quickly realized the limitations. I kept digging and came up with bits and pieces of information on the Fractal forums. In particular, the one about using the VCA function of the GCPro to select scenes. I was intrigued.

What does VCA stand for? Here's a post from John Clark at VooDoo, explaining it;

"VCA is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier, which in this case was a feature of the long discontinued System Mix Plus. It was a programmable volume control that could be routed anywhere in your rack controlled via MIDI. Unless you are using a System Mix Plus, there is probably nothing you could use the VCA settings within the Ground Control Pro for."

Turns out, his last sentence is not true...you can use it for something else...scene selection in the Axe-Fx! :)

Here's how it works;

The VCA function on the GCPro will send CC 07 on MIDI channel 16 to send out any one of 100 values, 0-99. Again, another post from John Clark;

"It will send Controller #007 on MIDI Channel 16 and the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127."

So, that's how the GCPro works. Here's how the Axe-Fx handles scenes;

"Assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits. Also, there are dedicated MIDI CCs to increment or decrement the current scene. If you don't specify a value, the switch will switch between scene 1 and 8."

So, basically, a value of 0 selects scene 1, a value of 1 selects scene 2, and so on. Values 0-7, select scenes 1-8. Here's the tricky part though, but not a problem. Remember what John said;

"...the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127"

That means that it's not a straight-forward mapping, in other words, a VCA value of 00 maps to scene 1, but a VCA value of 01 maps to scene 03. I mapped it all out;

VCA 00 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 01 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 02 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 03 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 04 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 05 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 06 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 07 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 08 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 09 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 10 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 11 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 12 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 13 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 14 -> CC 2 or Scene 3

That's enough for all 8 scenes, but the easiest way to remember and what I'm using, is;

VCA 21 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 28 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 35 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 42 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 49 -> CC 7 or Scene 8

So start at VCA 0 and go up by 7 for each scene.

Okay, enough with the theory, here's how you set it up.

Axe-Fx

1) The GCPro transmits the VCA values on MIDI channel 16. You need to set the Axe-Fx to OMNI mode, so it will listen to all transmitted MIDI data.

I/O MENU -> MIDI PAGE -> MIDI CONTROL = OMNI

2) The GCPro transmits the VCA values using CC 7. You need to change the Scene Select CC value from the default to 7.

I/O MENU -> CTRL PAGE -> SCENE SELECT = 7

GCPro

1) First thing you need to do, is enable the VCA feature.

SETUP MODE -> EXPANDERS -> BANK DOWN TO VCA -> VCA = ON

2) Now all you need to do, is setup your presets.

SELECT BANK -> PRESET X -> EDIT -> BANK DOWN TO VCA LEVEL -> VCA LEVEL = YY

(where YY = VCA value that corresponds to the Axe-Fx scene, see table above)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit, thanks @Speculum Speculorum ]

When you hold EDIT down it will first pull up a menu that shows your device name, and on the right hand side of the digital panel you'll see a number. This number is referring to the Axe-fx preset number. You have to point the GCP to the preset on the axe you will be referring to, otherwise it will still act like a preset # change as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an example. I have a preset for a song stored at Preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. Scene 1 is saved with the delay bypassed. I copied Scene 1 to Scene 2, enabled the delay block and saved the preset. So now I have;

Preset 111, Scene 1, no delay
Preset 111, Scene 2, delay

On the GCPro, I select the bank that calls preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. I have my GCPro setup with 8 IA's and 4 preset buttons. So, I select preset 1, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 00. Save it. Then I select preset 2, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 07. Save it.

That's it! Now I can select scenes, using the GCPRO!!!! :)

Here's a video of how it works;

Hope this helps.

A big thanks to Zéx for his post on GCPro's VCA feature!

Tony

Thanks for this awesome tutorial. I used this today to get my GC Pro back into action!!
Interested what you use your IA buttons to do if you’re still using them

Thanks for this awesome tutorial. I used this today to get my GC Pro back into action!!
Interested what you use your IA buttons to do if you’re still using them

You’re very welcome. :)

I don‘t have the GCPro anymore, although I did come close to buying another one but decided to give the Mastermind LT a try. When I did have the GCPro, I was using the IA’s to select loops on a GCX. The loops had pedals (SD-1, TS-9, etc.) connected to them.

You’re very welcome. :)

I don‘t have the GCPro anymore, although I did come close to buying another one but decided to give the Mastermind LT a try. When I did have the GCPro, I was using the IA’s to select loops on a GCX. The loops had pedals (SD-1, TS-9, etc.) connected to them.
I stupidly sold my MFC-101 as I bought a Kemper Stage. It’s awesome but at the repair shop already! Needed to get my Axe Fx 2 back on the road so your tutorial which I read a while back stuck in my head!! You are a lifesaver , my gig will go ahead

Dickie,
Can you explain what you did to get the 8 IA buttons to act as buttons to switch scenes per preset?
I currently have my GCPro setup so the buttons 1-4 (bottom row of buttons) work with my Fractal FM3, but I can't get the 8 IA switches to assign to scenes.

I may be missing something in the previous steps that were posted, but I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks.

So this all started because I was on the Fractal forum reading about LF controllers and the Axe-Fx. I was convinced I was going to need to sell my GCPro and buy an LF because there was no way to implement scene selection without having to use the mapping feature on the Axe-Fx, which works, but is cumbersome. I was interested in the LF+ JR+, but by the time I factor in the exchange rate, shipping, duty, taxes, etc. I'm looking at a lot of money for something I would probably only scratch the surface of, in terms of functionality.

I figured that if scenes weren't an option on the GCPro, I could use the IA buttons to select/bypass blocks within a preset. So I got that working but quickly realized the limitations. I kept digging and came up with bits and pieces of information on the Fractal forums. In particular, the one about using the VCA function of the GCPro to select scenes. I was intrigued.

What does VCA stand for? Here's a post from John Clark at VooDoo, explaining it;

"VCA is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier, which in this case was a feature of the long discontinued System Mix Plus. It was a programmable volume control that could be routed anywhere in your rack controlled via MIDI. Unless you are using a System Mix Plus, there is probably nothing you could use the VCA settings within the Ground Control Pro for."

Turns out, his last sentence is not true...you can use it for something else...scene selection in the Axe-Fx! :)

Here's how it works;

The VCA function on the GCPro will send CC 07 on MIDI channel 16 to send out any one of 100 values, 0-99. Again, another post from John Clark;

"It will send Controller #007 on MIDI Channel 16 and the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127."

So, that's how the GCPro works. Here's how the Axe-Fx handles scenes;

"Assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits. Also, there are dedicated MIDI CCs to increment or decrement the current scene. If you don't specify a value, the switch will switch between scene 1 and 8."

So, basically, a value of 0 selects scene 1, a value of 1 selects scene 2, and so on. Values 0-7, select scenes 1-8. Here's the tricky part though, but not a problem. Remember what John said;

"...the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127"

That means that it's not a straight-forward mapping, in other words, a VCA value of 00 maps to scene 1, but a VCA value of 01 maps to scene 03. I mapped it all out;

VCA 01 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 02 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 03 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 04 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 05 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 06 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 08 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 09 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 10 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 11 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 12 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 13 -> CC 1 or Scene 2

That's enough for all 8 scenes, but the easiest way to remember and what I'm using, is;

VCA 21 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 28 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 35 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 42 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 49 -> CC 7 or Scene 8

So start at VCA 0 and go up by 7 for each scene.

Okay, enough with the theory, here's how you set it up.

Axe-Fx

1) The GCPro transmits the VCA values on MIDI channel 16. You need to set the Axe-Fx to OMNI mode, so it will listen to all transmitted MIDI data.

I/O MENU -> MIDI PAGE -> MIDI CONTROL = OMNI

2) The GCPro transmits the VCA values using CC 7. You need to change the Scene Select CC value from the default to 7.

I/O MENU -> CTRL PAGE -> SCENE SELECT = 7

GCPro

1) First thing you need to do, is enable the VCA feature.

SETUP MODE -> EXPANDERS -> BANK DOWN TO VCA -> VCA = ON

2) Now all you need to do, is setup your presets.

SELECT BANK -> PRESET X -> EDIT -> BANK DOWN TO VCA LEVEL -> VCA LEVEL = YY

(where YY = VCA value that corresponds to the Axe-Fx scene, see table above)

[Edit, thanks @Speculum Speculorum ]

When you hold EDIT down it will first pull up a menu that shows your device name, and on the right hand side of the digital panel you'll see a number. This number is referring to the Axe-fx preset number. You have to point the GCP to the preset on the axe you will be referring to, otherwise it will still act like a preset # change as well.

Here's an example. I have a preset for a song stored at Preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. Scene 1 is saved with the delay bypassed. I copied Scene 1 to Scene 2, enabled the delay block and saved the preset. So now I have;

Preset 111, Scene 1, no delay
Preset 111, Scene 2, delay

On the GCPro, I select the bank that calls preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. I have my GCPro setup with 8 IA's and 4 preset buttons. So, I select preset 1, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 00. Save it. Then I select preset 2, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 07. Save it.

That's it! Now I can select scenes, using the GCPRO!!!! :)

Here's a video of how it works;

Hope this helps.

A big thanks to Zéx for his post on GCPro's VCA feature!

Tony

Very useful trick!

For those who want to program Scenes in the GCPro using the Ground Control Pro Editor, you need to know this. Although the current version of GCPro Editor doesn't offer a VCA level setting, there is a work around to program VCA level.

1) In Ground Control Pro Editor, go to CONFIGURATION -> PEDALS and set VCA switch to "Yes"
2) Then in CONFIGURATION -> DEVICES, enable Device #8 and set its name to "VCA" for simplicity
3) Finally, in PRESETS, set "VCA" values according to Toopy14's values + 1. See table here:

VCA 01 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 08 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 15 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 22 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 29 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 36 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 43 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 50 -> CC 7 or Scene 8

Simon

Very useful trick!

For those who want to program Scenes in the GCPro using the Ground Control Pro Editor, you need to know this. Although the current version of GCPro Editor doesn't offer a VCA level setting, there is a work around to program VCA level.

1) In Ground Control Pro Editor, go to CONFIGURATION -> PEDALS and set VCA switch to "Yes"
2) Then in CONFIGURATION -> DEVICES, enable Device #8 and set its name to "VCA" for simplicity
3) Finally, in PRESETS, set "VCA" values according to Toopy14's values + 1. See table here:

VCA 01 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 08 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 15 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 22 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 29 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 36 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 43 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 50 -> CC 7 or Scene 8

Simon
not worrying about the GCP Editor, but just generally. Does this work with the AFXIII? I’ve tried and tried, but the on,y thing I can get to work with my AFXIII is the midi mapping

not worrying about the GCP Editor, but just generally. Does this work with the AFXIII? I’ve tried and tried, but the on,y thing I can get to work with my AFXIII is the midi mapping
Controlling scenes on the Axe Fx III is exactly the same as the Axe Fx II.

The only difference is that by default there is a predefined CC# (34) on the Axe Fx II.

On the Axe Fx III, you need to go into the Midi/Remote menu and set the CC# for Scenes.

The only difference is that by default there is a predefined CC# (34) on the Axe Fx II.

On the Axe Fx III, you need to go into the Midi/Remote menu and set the CC# for Scenes.
Thanks. Ok. That makes more sense. Now excuse my newbie-ness. I’ve only gotten m AFXIII in e last few months. I’m starting to get familiar with the midi settings, but a lot of this is still ew to me.

i assume you mean that I need to set that in the AFXII’s midi settings. But I don’t remember seeing where I can set a cc# specific for scenes. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks. Ok. That makes more sense. Now excuse my newbie-ness. I’ve only gotten m AFXIII in e last few months. I’m starting to get familiar with the midi settings, but a lot of this is still ew to me.

i assume you mean that I need to set that in the AFXII’s midi settings. But I don’t remember seeing where I can set a cc# specific for scenes. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Yes:

18D132AF-1678-4EF7-8C56-D74F7DC044D8.jpeg

Are you referring to this:
5A5C4949-ECD2-4120-B287-6109783FE3FA.jpeg

I have been studying this thread now for the last 3 days as I have recently purchased a GCP for my AxeIII. Not that i dont like what the FC12 has to offer but my needs for switching are only based on scene selection. The GCP comes in this Saturday, and after reading this thread so thoroughly I am excited that I will finally be able to use a footswitch on my AxeIII \o/

Thank you all for these posts in this thread! Makes me feel much better about my decision on the GCP and that I can properly set it up.

Also, I give you my word... what ever I learn from this adventure I will share so we can pass this info on to other Fractal users. We all know the FC6 and the FC12 are "esspensiv" so alternate controllers are a great option for folks that just need to get the job done :)

Also, I give you my word... what ever I learn from this adventure I will share so we can pass this info on to other Fractal users. We all know the FC6 and the FC12 are "esspensiv" so alternate controllers are a great option for folks that just need to get the job done :)
Agreed... I've been meaning to make a video of how to do it with the Axe III - life keeps getting in the way. I might try this weekend. slightly limited audience, but I'll tell ya, I scoured the internet and YouTube and the voodoo lab forums - I could find nothing, other than this thread (and related info for the Axe II). My guess is that it was a great solution during the prominence of the Axe II, but given the amount of time that has gone by, most people have probably upgraded their gear and/or moved on to a "newer" midi solution (I think voodoo has even stopped any further development on the GCP, focusing its efforts on developing an entirely new board - that's what I've heard through their forum, but can't swear to it).

I'm much more of a visual learner and as far as I can tell, there's no video out there that shows how to do this. It's a shame, because the GCP is a great unit, especially for the price; and once I figured this out, it's value to me shot up immensely. Hopefully a vid like this would be useful to a lot of other people and keep them from discounting an otherwise perfectly usable solution.

Back
Top Bottom