VooDoo Labs GCPro and Axe-Fx Scenes

Quick question...
How does this work with the banks?
If I start the stuff up and am on preset 1, scene 1 I have 3 more scenes to access w the GCP on the bottom row and all the IA switches.
Is it as easy as hitting bank up and then the first button (bottom left) to be at preset 2?
Am I making sense? LOL

What I am asking is does the bank button then increment the presets 1 by 1 or how would you select preset 2? Seems that what I am reading is that though were using scenes we are getting less presets so it ends up the same count of options.

I may be confusing myself.

Dickie,
It will work that way if you program it to work that way. By default, the GCP will send a midi PC that matches the preset number on your GCP. Assuming you have the GCP setup for 4 presets and 8 IAs, and you wanted to use the suggestions in this thread to control, let's say 4 scenes for a given AxeFx preset, you would set the first 4 presets on the GCP to call up preset 1 on the AxeFx, then you would set the VCA control for each preset to the values suggested in this thread (00,07,14,21). This would give you presets 1-4 on the GCP, mapping to preset1, scenes 1-4 on the AxeFX. Then you could set the second bank on the GCP, presets 5-8, to ALL call up preset 2 on the AxeFx and set the VCA control values in the same way you did for the GCP presets 1-4. This would give you presets 5-8 on the GCP as preset 2, scenes 1-4 on the AxeFx, and so on... The preceding is just one example of how you may want to leverage the VCA to control scenes, but the major point is that you have to tell the GCP what program change to send to the AxeFX. In the scenario above, you need one GCP preset for each combination of AxeFX preset & scene, so to control 4 scenes on one AxeFX preset you need 4 GCP presets (All set to send the same PC to the AxeFx) with the appropriate VCA control values for each GCP preset (00,07,14,21). Works like a charm... Hope this info helps!

Yes... that explains it. I was simply confusing GCP preset and Axe Scene and how the naming works in this situation. Yes its preset 1-4 on the GCP but its preset 1 scenes 1-4 on the Axe.

Got it. I can also see how that will benefit me as well.

Thank you for the explanation.

Thanks for the info on this thread. I had thought about setting up the scenes on a bank boundary for a single patch as well, but I would like to have the IA buttons select the scene. Looking into that now. I get the scene selection controller setup. Was thinking about scrolling but the GCP will not reference the active scene with a scroll option. I plan on limiting each patch to a max of 4 scenes. Not sure I need more than that. It should be as straight forward as selecting the IA button and making sure it sends the CC and value+1 for the correct scene, correct?

@Conley Shepherd - Let us know if you get it to work with the IA buttons... I think that the challenge will be that you need to send a series of controller VALUES on the same CC# to change scenes (0=Scene1, 7=Scene2,14=Scene3, etc.). Not sure the GCP IA's can send controller VALUES other than On/Off (0,128 I would assume) and not sure if multiple IA's can be assigned to the same controller number for the same device/MIDI Channel. That's what makes @Toopy14 's solution interesting because the GCP VCA functioin CAN send a controller value for a particular CC. If you can find a way top make the IA's do it, that would be great, although I can't see how that would work, but maybe I am missing something. To answer your question, you would need to get the IA to send the correct CC# and value+7 to change to the next scene. Hope this helps... Please let us know if you pull it off!! :)

@Conley Shepherd - Let us know if you get it to work with the IA buttons... I think that the challenge will be that you need to send a series of controller VALUES on the same CC# to change scenes (0=Scene1, 7=Scene2,14=Scene3, etc.). Not sure the GCP IA's can send controller VALUES other than On/Off (0,128 I would assume) and not sure if multiple IA's can be assigned to the same controller number for the same device/MIDI Channel. That's what makes @Toopy14 's solution interesting because the GCP VCA functioin CAN send a controller value for a particular CC. If you can find a way top make the IA's do it, that would be great, although I can't see how that would work, but maybe I am missing something. To answer your question, you would need to get the IA to send the correct CC# and value+7 to change to the next scene. Hope this helps... Please let us know if you pull it off!! :)

I ended up selling it because the GCP can't send CC values. I am using an HD500X now. been programming that for a couple days. I now know what to do and look for in the HD500X

Knowing what I do now, I could have used the GCP. I think the HD500X will tide me for a few days until I get a wild hair or something...

There is a mapping for the scenes selection in the patch selection. I could have done that. I have a scene increment and decrement for now though.

Ok guys... I'm back hehe
Axe FXIII arrived yesterday. Does this method still apply?

It looks like a few posts back that ALL 8 scenes were able to be accessed. Its nice having all of this typed out to read but I sure wish there was a YT video on each step between the GCP and Axe 3.

Maybe if I figure it out Ill do one LOL

Last edited:
It seems from the posts below that we should be able to access all 8 scenes. Im just not sure what device we are talking about in certain areas whether GCP or Axe. 4 scenes would be great but 8 scenes wouldbe better for those drone patches especially.

****EDIT****
Yup, all 8 scenes can be done. Ive just done it and it works. Ill post up more later.

***EDIT***
So I reset the GCP to factory V1.13. I followed the steps. So buttons 1-8 now select scenes. Then if you hit 9 or 10 it goes to those presets as it should. If I hit the 3-4 button (yes/no) I can increment up and down the scenes (or presets)

Hit the bank button and your up to the next bank of whatever you want to do.

I apologize for posting to tell most of you what you already know LOL

It's just amazing to me that Im not going to need to buy a controller heh.

So this all started because I was on the Fractal forum reading about LF controllers and the Axe-Fx. I was convinced I was going to need to sell my GCPro and buy an LF because there was no way to implement scene selection without having to use the mapping feature on the Axe-Fx, which works, but is cumbersome. I was interested in the LF+ JR+, but by the time I factor in the exchange rate, shipping, duty, taxes, etc. I'm looking at a lot of money for something I would probably only scratch the surface of, in terms of functionality.

I figured that if scenes weren't an option on the GCPro, I could use the IA buttons to select/bypass blocks within a preset. So I got that working but quickly realized the limitations. I kept digging and came up with bits and pieces of information on the Fractal forums. In particular, the one about using the VCA function of the GCPro to select scenes. I was intrigued.

What does VCA stand for? Here's a post from John Clark at VooDoo, explaining it;

"VCA is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier, which in this case was a feature of the long discontinued System Mix Plus. It was a programmable volume control that could be routed anywhere in your rack controlled via MIDI. Unless you are using a System Mix Plus, there is probably nothing you could use the VCA settings within the Ground Control Pro for."

Turns out, his last sentence is not true...you can use it for something else...scene selection in the Axe-Fx! :)

Here's how it works;

The VCA function on the GCPro will send CC 07 on MIDI channel 16 to send out any one of 100 values, 0-99. Again, another post from John Clark;

"It will send Controller #007 on MIDI Channel 16 and the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127."

So, that's how the GCPro works. Here's how the Axe-Fx handles scenes;

"Assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits. Also, there are dedicated MIDI CCs to increment or decrement the current scene. If you don't specify a value, the switch will switch between scene 1 and 8."

So, basically, a value of 0 selects scene 1, a value of 1 selects scene 2, and so on. Values 0-7, select scenes 1-8. Here's the tricky part though, but not a problem. Remember what John said;

"...the selectable 0-99 in the Ground Control Pro presets scales to data values 0-127"

That means that it's not a straight-forward mapping, in other words, a VCA value of 00 maps to scene 1, but a VCA value of 01 maps to scene 03. I mapped it all out;

VCA 00 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 01 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 02 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 03 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 04 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 05 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 06 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 07 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 08 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 09 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 10 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 11 -> CC 7 or Scene 8
VCA 12 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 13 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 14 -> CC 2 or Scene 3

That's enough for all 8 scenes, but the easiest way to remember and what I'm using, is;

VCA 00 -> CC 0 or Scene 1
VCA 07 -> CC 1 or Scene 2
VCA 14 -> CC 2 or Scene 3
VCA 21 -> CC 3 or Scene 4
VCA 28 -> CC 4 or Scene 5
VCA 35 -> CC 5 or Scene 6
VCA 42 -> CC 6 or Scene 7
VCA 49 -> CC 7 or Scene 8

So start at VCA 0 and go up by 7 for each scene.

Okay, enough with the theory, here's how you set it up.

Axe-Fx

1) The GCPro transmits the VCA values on MIDI channel 16. You need to set the Axe-Fx to OMNI mode, so it will listen to all transmitted MIDI data.

I/O MENU -> MIDI PAGE -> MIDI CONTROL = OMNI

2) The GCPro transmits the VCA values using CC 7. You need to change the Scene Select CC value from the default to 7.

I/O MENU -> CTRL PAGE -> SCENE SELECT = 7

GCPro

1) First thing you need to do, is enable the VCA feature.

SETUP MODE -> EXPANDERS -> BANK DOWN TO VCA -> VCA = ON

2) Now all you need to do, is setup your presets.

SELECT BANK -> PRESET X -> EDIT -> BANK DOWN TO VCA LEVEL -> VCA LEVEL = YY

(where YY = VCA value that corresponds to the Axe-Fx scene, see table above)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit, thanks @Speculum Speculorum ]

When you hold EDIT down it will first pull up a menu that shows your device name, and on the right hand side of the digital panel you'll see a number. This number is referring to the Axe-fx preset number. You have to point the GCP to the preset on the axe you will be referring to, otherwise it will still act like a preset # change as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an example. I have a preset for a song stored at Preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. Scene 1 is saved with the delay bypassed. I copied Scene 1 to Scene 2, enabled the delay block and saved the preset. So now I have;

Preset 111, Scene 1, no delay
Preset 111, Scene 2, delay

On the GCPro, I select the bank that calls preset 111 on the Axe-Fx. I have my GCPro setup with 8 IA's and 4 preset buttons. So, I select preset 1, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 00. Save it. Then I select preset 2, edit the preset and change the VCA value to 07. Save it.

That's it! Now I can select scenes, using the GCPRO!!!! :)

Here's a video of how it works;

Hope this helps.

A big thanks to Zéx for his post on GCPro's VCA feature!

Tony

Ah, well after setting this up I realize it's not exactly a big deal. I didn't realize I could set up the Ground Control's bank/presets to interface back to my Axe-fx II preset so all is well. Now it's just a simple two-button touch and I have access to all 8 scenes. Way cool!

For those of you that might be confused, or if you are finding that the 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons on the GCP are changing your scenes, I figured out why. There's a little step that is kind of implied but not specifically mentioned in the OP, and it's of utmost importance for this to work. In my case, when I pushed down on button 2 it kept switching to preset 256 on the Axe-fx II and changing the scene in THAT preset. Weird!

Assuming I had done something wrong I reset my GCP and started from scratch. Here's where I figured out what went wrong.

SELECT BANK -> PRESET X -> EDIT -> BANK DOWN TO VCA LEVEL -> VCA LEVEL = YY

(where YY = VCA value that corresponds to the Axe-Fx scene, see table above)

* NOW *

When you hold EDIT down it will first pull up a menu that shows your device name, and on the right hand side of the digital panel you'll see a number. This number is referring to the Axe-fx preset number. You have to point the GCP to the preset on the axe you will be referring to, otherwise it will still act like a preset # change as well. Now I'm rocking this thing and happier than ever. What I thought was going to be a very limited function is clear and making me perfectly happy. Thanks a bunch to the OP, and hopefully anything that was confusing before and causing crazy preset switches when trying to create scene changes is all cleared up!

Last edited:
Thanks to sharing great knowledge!
At first I couldn't find how to change CC value in GCP manual,so I gave up to use Axe III's Scene function.
(I assigned some Block Bypass and MUX's modifier on GCP's IA,it's like A/B switching but it's simply enough for me.)

But VCA control really works well,now I start to think about how I use Scenes... ;)

Not sure if this can be done.
So far I am able to set a bank up to have the 8 scenes.
Can I go to the next bank and have 4 scene and have the rest of the switches run stomp style?

Not sure if this can be done.
So far I am able to set a bank up to have the 8 scenes.
Can I go to the next bank and have 4 scene and have the rest of the switches run stomp style?
All bank up does is move to the next bank of X presets. It has no effect on what the buttons do.

I guess what Im asking is can the GCP be programmed so that Bank one has all 8 scenes and then Bank 2 then are not scenes but rather stomp style.

Im not sure if the GCP handles things that way.

I guess what Im asking is can the GCP be programmed so that Bank one has all 8 scenes and then Bank 2 then are not scenes but rather stomp style.

Im not sure if the GCP handles things that way.

Dickie,
No, the GCP won't work this way... You can choose between 10 preset banks, which gives access to a lot of presets at the same time or, the more widely used option of 4 presets per bank with 8 buttons available for stomp-style IA (Instant Access) buttons. The config you are asking about is advanced and the GCP is simply not that smart and can't be programmed that way. Manual is available here if it helps: http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/ground_control_pro_manual.pdf Configuration options for the button layout begin on page 14. It's a worthwhile read! Hope this helps!

Im on the list for a FC-12 but I honestly dont think I need it LOL
I believe I can make this happen with a FCB-1010 so Ill look into the Ugly Bunny videos.
Plus, there is a FCB-1010 at a local shop here I can get for $60.

@Dickie Fredericks - Completely understand, although, for the record, the FC-12 is AMAZING and can do pretty much anything you could ever want. Best foot controller I've ever used by far!! You gotta do what you gotta do, but I highly recommend the FC-12 without reservation! Enjoy!!

@Dickie Fredericks - Completely understand, although, for the record, the FC-12 is AMAZING and can do pretty much anything you could ever want. Best foot controller I've ever used by far!! You gotta do what you gotta do, but I highly recommend the FC-12 without reservation! Enjoy!!
I'm all about having the best gear possible and I often suffer from GAS so Im sure as soon as they send me the invite I'll drop whatever they are asking LOL

This weekend Im going to see if the looper works with the GCP.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh Ive been reading all day. And after watching Leons video with the 3 pots to use as control switches (I have all the materials here already hehe) my oh my.

I bought 2 controller pedals today for wah and volume etc.

It seems the stock 7/8 layout thing in the manual is all Ill need.

Oh my gosh Ive been reading all day. And after watching Leons video with the 3 pots to use as control switches (I have all the materials here already hehe) my oh my.

I bought 2 controller pedals today for wah and volume etc.

It seems the stock 7/8 layout thing in the manual is all Ill need.

Yeah, the 7/8 layouts are very nice... A couple weird things though. The default bank size is 10 but layout 7 gives you access to 4 presets and when you bank up it skips 6 presets and shows you the next 4. You could always change the default bank size to 4, though. It also shows 4 scenes, which is great, unless your preset has 5+! When you move to layout 8 it shows you 11 effects, which is awesome, unless one of the effects you have in your preset is not one of the default placeholder effects. I was a big fan of the 7/8 layouts when I first got my FC-12 and I still am, but lately I've been gravitating towards the Per-Preset layout and Per-Preset FC assignments for the reasons above. This gives me exactly what I need and ONLY what I need for each individual preset with a little bit of extra work. It really helps, especially when you consider that the number of Scenes or effects you may need access to can vary considerably from one preset to the next. You could use Per-Preset Overrides as well. Probably best to get your head around the other layouts first but please don't overlook the power of Per-Preset switching. It's awesome for me but, as with everything, YMMV. Enjoy and congratulations again!!

Back
Top Bottom